Other Kickstarter games?

From Solitaire to GTA

Re: Other Kickstarter games?

PostPosted by FigmentEra » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 am

Obduction is now fully funded! There's a couple pretty neat stretch goals ahead, though...
FigmentEra
Wanderer

PostPosted by Josiah » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Ceres wrote:
Josiah wrote:So, it's been a while since I've posted here. Sorry about that!

But I thought it to be EXTREMELY important to inform everyone that the creators of Myst and Riven have a new project up on KS!

Obduction!

Thanks so much for letting us know about "Obduction." The mere memory of playing (and replaying) Myst was enough to get my pledge. :redlace:

It was the same for me, to be honest. I didn't even bother looking at the project, I just went ahead and clicked on the pledge level that interested me.
Josiah
Rock Namer

PostPosted by godheka » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 pm

godheka
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by light487 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:39 am

Found this one via the Limit Theory forums:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/206 ... /tiny-trek

Not sure if it is too ambitious for the amount being asked for... but I'm happy to throw some money at it because it's the type of game I think I will enjoy in small bursts..
light487
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 am

The Mandate..
Explore a world of culture, with 1500 years of lore, ruled by the Tsars. Survive a world of pirates, mercenaries & faction forces with their own agendas. Make enemies, or appease more powerful factions. The world reacts to your choices, and you must live with the consequences.

Sounds fun to me..

76% of goal with 10 days left. Now Trending to 93%

the last few days have been Huge for them.

TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:06 pm

wow 84% of goal !!!

that up 8% in one day

Trending shows 100%
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm

The Mandate is at 95% with a week left. Things are looking very good for it.

They have an amazing new video out too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90Zu3LfrUU it's truly A Must See video.

They should use it as the game's intro !!

Check out their Kickstarter page here http://kck.st/1g5Slbm
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

PostPosted by Kevin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129 ... eliverance

Keeping an eye on this one and thought I'd share; though I'm wondering why we just can't pledge for all three Acts at a cheaper price.
Kevin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by HammelGammel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for sharing. I will probably pledge for this one. But it's a shame that you have to pledge 300 to get all 3 acts :/

If they tell the truth, then that is all I ever wanted for an RPG! I hope they don't mess it up :D
HammelGammel
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by Kevin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:41 pm

HammelGammel wrote:Thanks for sharing. I will probably pledge for this one. But it's a shame that you have to pledge 300 to get all 3 acts :/

If they tell the truth, then that is all I ever wanted for an RPG! I hope they don't mess it up :D

Not to mention that they cannot guarantee the release of those two acts at this point in the project.
Anyhow my wife queried them about those two acts (she's more interested in the project than I am) and they said it will most likely be released as dlc if they do make it. Imo,that's also subject to change. lol
Kevin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by HammelGammel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Holy shit: They raise half the money on day 1 *_*

pledged too btw.
HammelGammel
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Bit leary about this, crew sounds like they could pull it off. But 10% of their budget is not going to help finish the game at all, they just want to use it to show publishers and investors that RPG do not need dragons and magic elves. Others have already tried using KS not for funds but to show market interest, yet still fail because the thousands that will pledge is nowhere near the market millions Skyrim had. The investor are right that medevially correct RPG combat and towns is a niche market so instead they should try to fund the entire game on kickstarter but they need $3M for that which would make it the top RPG kickstarter ever (not even Ultima redux got that). For myself I prefer magic or scifi fantasy in my RPG...
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Kevin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:05 am

HammelGammel wrote:Holy shit: They raise half the money on day 1 *_*

pledged too btw.

Actually they have raised half the money in half a day, there's still about 8-7 hours to go before day 1 ends.
According to my wife, who has been religiously following this campaign since I showed it to her, the devs' most optimistic guess for the amount raised on the first day was 100k.

yarnevk wrote:Bit leary about this, crew sounds like they could pull it off. But 10% of their budget is not going to help finish the game at all, they just want to use it to show publishers and investors that RPG do not need dragons and magic elves. Others have already tried using KS not for funds but to show market interest, yet still fail because the thousands that will pledge is nowhere near the market millions Skyrim had. The investor are right that medevially correct RPG combat and towns is a niche market so instead they should try to fund the entire game on kickstarter but they need $3M for that which would make it the top RPG kickstarter ever (not even Ultima redux got that). For myself I prefer magic or scifi fantasy in my RPG...

Thing is..they can actually hit 3 million easy if they leave the campaign open on their own website like Star Citizen (Btw Chris Roberts has already pledged the highest tier in support of Warhorse's campaign.) is doing.
Kicktraq predicted that it was trending towards 2 million when they just launched on KS and last I checked it's trending towards 5 million+. Obviously it's highly unlikely that they will hit it but the hype train for this campaign, from the posts I've read in various forums/website, is huge.
Ironically, the publishers who initially refused to publish their game have pledged in their campaign.

Personally, I wanted to get more info about their game before pledging but my wife just told me that she has already pledged so there's that. lol

PS: That blog made me think about Frontiers just because of the name of the title. http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?pag ... y=blog_011
Kevin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by yarnevk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Yes games have raised millions post kickstarter. Portarium SOTA is a good example, they have just cleared $2M, but have a decades long following with as as many Ultima games with a built in fan base. While it has human only avatars they do have magics. The market that gets excited about correct archaic weapon and armor use is much smaller than those who are happy wacking the mouse as their character stats resolve combat, I would expect SOTA built in market to be much higher than this game. Even Skyrim dumbed down Morrowind so that the weapon categories are much smaller. There is nothing wrong with being a niche game, but they should be prepared to make the game for $300K which is exceptional for an indy game where $150k is outstanding and most run <$100k rather than targeting AAA budget, staff and market. They should be looking at the Indy game Mortal Online which has a fantastic archaic weapons crafting and combat system as their competition they can suck dry for players, if they are lucky that will get them a thousand pledges (back when I was playing more like hundreds now). Also being a single player game is a mistake, that type of player that is into medieval combat wants to do PVP.

Kicktraq is way optimistic for first day campaigns as bursts like that are unusual first day they are unable to predict. I have no doubt the kickstarter will get funded. But look at the CastAR VR/AR glasses which had similar goal and start, Kicktraq said it was destined for $4M and they ended up at $1M more than triple their goal. $1M is not enough for this game, they said the kickstarter is 10% of their budget it is not to finish the game it is to demonstrate a market to publishers, and publishers will say dumb it down and add dragons and elves if you want Skyrim sales.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by DThrasher » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:10 pm

I backed Kingdom Come: Deliverance as well. I'm really excited about exploring Dungeons with No Dragons. :)

Check out Cradle, too. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1324765189/cradle

It launched the same day as KC:D, and is also an open world RPG based on the CryEngine. The visuals are gorgeous. I'm curious about their combat mechanics -- it seems an interesting system.
DThrasher
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Ceres » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 am

I'm liking what I see / read / feel with The Meridian Shard.

Their Kickstarter page says it's "A satirical adventure RPG with unforgettable characters steeped in a supernatural tale of courage, sacrifice, secrets, and shenanigans."
Spoiler:      SHOW
"The Meridian Shard
In the Hydra Ranges above the Ashen Plains, carved into the mountainside of a dangerous and forbidden stone valley called the Iron Plateau, an ancient temple shelters the realm’s most masterful healers; a mysterious and reclusive clan of white witches known as Dularian. When the corpses of 49 soldiers and workers are discovered with no obvious causes of death at a remote army-secured mining encampment, the tragic discovery sparks fears that a rising new plague may be starting its course and seeking new hosts. Following the mysterious event, a talented young warlock and mercenary recruit is urgently dispatched with the task of delivering a royal scroll to the legendary Dularian healers, who may be able to help. But as he sets out on his journey, he soon finds that not all is as it seems, and that his straightforward mission is instead leading him on a perilous quest toward a painful truth that will test his heart and soul beyond all measure."

And the developer's website says (among other things): "Ultimate Fantasy Studio serves as a creative indie development platform and digital media resource creator, curator and publisher working with a network of passionate independent programmers, writers, artists and composers to produce unique and affordable role-playing video games and eBooks."

Seems like my kind of game, made by my kind of people. :redlace:
Ceres
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 am

No go on Meridian as it is Canadian and my debit card will not be processed by Kickstarter unless it uses Amazon.

Will follow Cradle fantastic artwork had me thinking it was fantasy concept art but it was actual in-game screenshots. Seems it is a first time studio effort though?
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 am

Rob posted in the wrong thread. Dumb.
Last edited by antihuman09 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by DThrasher » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 am

@yarnevk -- Mojo Studios is a new company, but it's composed of folks from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Carnegie Mellon is one of the best engineering and computer science schools in the U.S., and also boasts excellent design and drama programs. So, with the comp-sci and arts resources nearby, I'd guess the Cradle team can tap into the talent they need.

It might be a touch riskier than some Kickstarter efforts, but I think the in-engine stuff they're showing off speaks for itself.

Also, the composer they have lined up to do the music has done several soundtracks, including the one to The Dark Mod. (I love the Thief games.)
DThrasher
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 pm

More worried about lack of experience managing a large budget and team, so not something I would go in big on, that is a huge leap up from school project teams. Will watch the videos and see more about play if we are on the same page about what an RPG is; in otherwords, if they was doing it in Unity rather than CryEngine and it did not look as great would I still buy in because of the gameplay?
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Gazz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm pretty fed up with MMOs by now but this one has me intrigued.

Now with a $25 Just Gimme The Damn Game tier. =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

Kingdom Come: Deliverance last 24 hours

PostPosted by Kevin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Finally about to reach 1million pounds (roughly $1.67 mil) with less than 23 hours to go.
They posted a twitch preview/playthrough of their game with some questions answered at the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84AiE46erkk
Kevin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Ceres » Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 pm

I just found out about Storium, and think it might appeal to the many writers in Frontiers.

The Kickstarter says:
"Storium is a new kind of online game where you and your friends tell any story you can imagine, together."

"Storium is a web-based online game that you play with friends. It works by turning writing into a multiplayer game. With just your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can choose from a library of imaginary worlds to play in, or build your own. You create your story’s characters and decide what happens to them. You can tell any kind of story with Storium. The only limit is your imagination."

" The Deal:
Our campaign starts by funding ten worlds, but we have dozens more in the works from a wide array of award-winning creators. Every backer at THE DEAL ($40) level will get a year of Storium membership, plus early and ongoing access to every world that we fund through this Kickstarter. This means you'll always be able to play games in these worlds, regardless of whatever they end up costing in the future.

(When Storium launches publicly, many of our Kickstarter worlds will have a small fee for usage. Much like how Apple's App Store works, Storium world creators will have the option of charging app-like prices for their worlds. We will then pass on the majority of the proceeds to the world's creator! We hope this will become great new way for players and fans alike to support the authors and designers whose work they love.)"

" This campaign has already unlocked numerous features and 56 worlds by award-winning creators, with more to come!"

The Kickstarter for Storium is in its final hours (26 left as of right now) and it's almost 800% funded - but the new Stretch Goals look great ...
The new Stretch Goals include:

"STORIUM FOR SCHOOLS — We will build a version of Storium that is tailored for schools, teachers, and students! two new worlds.)"
"THE DREAMBLOOD — In the colored shadows cast by the Dreaming Moon lurk spies, madlings, and monsters. Run the rooftops and wander the deserts of Gujaareh, an Egyptian-inspired land where if the nightmares don't get you, the priests just might. (Based on The Dreamblood series of novels, by Hugo-, Nebula-, and World Fantasy Award-nominated author N. K. Jemisin.)"

"SANDITON, CA — Spend a summer by the sea in the oddball beach town of Sanditon, California. Our citizens are friendly, our business opportunities plentiful, and our grounding in reality... variable. Whether you play a resident or someone passing through, Sanditon has plenty of romance, art and intrigue for everyone. Based on Jane Austen’s final unfinished novel Sanditon, and the Pemberley Digital transmedia series Welcome To Sanditon. Adapted by co-creators and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries veterans Margaret Dunlap (The Middleman, Eureka) and Jay Bushman (Airship Dracula, Dirty Work)".

... so I thought I'd help spread-the-word. :redlace:
Ceres
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu May 08, 2014 1:12 am

Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Zolana » Thu May 08, 2014 1:58 pm

There's a game I was watching on KS a while back but I didn't back. It did get funded though, and looks quite interesting. It's called Unrest, and is "An Unconventional RPG Set in Ancient India". It's scheduled for release on 13/6, and I'm pretty tempted. It's available for preorder over at Humble for ~£9.50 ($15.99).

Anyway, here's the KS campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/py ... ient-india

And the official site: http://pyrodactyl.com/

I think they'll be launching a Greenlight campaign at some point too :)
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by Gazz » Thu May 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Railboy wrote:I'm a huge Cthulhu nerd so I've got to plug this one:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1168767162/mark-of-the-old-ones-a-metroidvanian-adventure

And it made it by the skin of it's tentacles.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

Previous

Return to Other Games