Feedback

Anything FRONTIERS related

Feedback

PostPosted by Soltis » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:03 am

Thoughts, as occurring:

1. Nice atmosphere; graphics and such really are reminiscent of Morrowind. That's high praise, but the issue mentioned in #2 dilutes the effect somewhat.

2. It would be infinitely better if the game didn't have so much PC nonsense polluting it. This is, in essence, a VIctorian themed world; making everything all gender-identical is really cloying and distracting. Stuff like the PC's mother having "dated" someone for a year before marrying his father also stinks of modern urban socialization models. Yeah, sure, it's "liberated" and such, but that kind of monkey business really has no place in a game with this theme. I'm not even objecting to that sort of content in a game, generally, just a game with this motif.

3. The animations for tool use are really, really . . . weird. I hope they're placeholders.

4. I like the game's tendency not to spoon feed the player, well, anything. It's nice to simply have to figure things out from context, and to have the very real chance of getting completely lost if one isn't paying attention. Please, for the love of god, never dumb the game down.

5. This may seem to contradict #4, but a built-in compass might be nice. In real life, even in trackless wilderness, anyone with good sense has a good idea which direction they're facing--all kinds of cues make it obvious that aren't really possible to convey in a game, so it's better just to have a directional indicator. It doesn't even have to be 100% accurate, but it would be nice to know if I'm facing "north-ish" or "south-ish", even if that's the most I can be sure of.

6. I get hungry a lot more than thirsty, so far, and neither seems like all that pressing of a need. So far, temperature hasn't been a factor AT ALL, even when climbing snowy mountains. I'd like to feel like the climate actually mattered and affected my character. I'm not sure if dynamic weather is ingame (or planned), but it would be nice if being wet affected one's temperature (both positively, in hot climates, and negatively, when it's cold).

7. I know the emphasis isn't supposed to be combat, but the game feels TOO peaceful. I certainly don't want Oblivion-style nonsense where there are continual bandits accosting one's character, but at the very least, I'd like it if bears got grumpy if you walked right into them (which I did yesterday), or if more remote areas were more threatening.

8. Selecting items seems dodgy; highlighting books on a bookshelf is especially problematic (sometimes I have to face 20 degrees away from the item I want in order to be able to grab it).

9. Time feels like it passes a bit too fast when fast-traveling.

10. I'm pretty sure my house wasn't supposed to be standing again, unharmed, when I went back after the reading the will.
Soltis
Butterfly Painter

Re: Feedback

PostPosted by yarnevk » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:46 pm

If a compass is added to the game, please please please make it a hand held object for that boyscout immersion. You can even add a skill that makes the compass settle faster and lets you draw maps of triangulated locations. Do not stick a pointer on the HUD because that turns into requests for GPS quest arrows ruining any possible sense of exploration, followed by requests for fast travel to GPS quest arrows.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:58 pm

yarnevk wrote:If a compass is added to the game, please please please make it a hand held object for that boyscout immersion. You can even add a skill that makes the compass settle faster and lets you draw maps of triangulated locations. Do not stick a pointer on the HUD because that turns into requests for GPS quest arrows ruining any possible sense of exploration, followed by requests for fast travel to GPS quest arrows.

There is already a hand-held compass in the game, and from what Lars has said previously, it'll be the only compass.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Soltis wrote:2. It would be infinitely better if the game didn't have so much PC nonsense polluting it. This is, in essence, a VIctorian themed world; making everything all gender-identical is really cloying and distracting. Stuff like the PC's mother having "dated" someone for a year before marrying his father also stinks of modern urban socialization models. Yeah, sure, it's "liberated" and such, but that kind of monkey business really has no place in a game with this theme. I'm not even objecting to that sort of content in a game, generally, just a game with this motif.

This was a deliberate gameplay choice. Trying to model gender oppression would detract from the relaxed exploration feel that we're going for. Besides, Kantvarld is not Earth. Different world, different values.

Also, historically, society was much more liberal in the pre-Victorian Renaissance, which is far more our time period.

4. I like the game's tendency not to spoon feed the player, well, anything. It's nice to simply have to figure things out from context, and to have the very real chance of getting completely lost if one isn't paying attention. Please, for the love of god, never dumb the game down.

Rest assured, we won't.

6. I get hungry a lot more than thirsty, so far, and neither seems like all that pressing of a need. So far, temperature hasn't been a factor AT ALL, even when climbing snowy mountains. I'd like to feel like the climate actually mattered and affected my character. I'm not sure if dynamic weather is ingame (or planned), but it would be nice if being wet affected one's temperature (both positively, in hot climates, and negatively, when it's cold).

Since we're still very much in beta, game balance has taken a back seat to fixing major bugs and continuing development. Not that we aren't listening -- with the New Game controls featured in the last few builds, you should be able to tweak your environmental challenge level however you like it.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write this out. I crave this kind of feedback.

Time feels like it passes a bit too fast when fast-traveling.

In the next update I'm reducing the amount of time that passes so it's closer to the time it would take if you actually walked there. Right now it's coming in at around 2.5x.

I'm pretty sure my house wasn't supposed to be standing again, unharmed, when I went back after the reading the will.

Whoops, that's a new one.

This is, in essence, a VIctorian themed world; making everything all gender-identical is really cloying and distracting

This is my only point of disagreement. The timing is a bit off, but more importantly the history of Kantvarld is very, very different than our world. It's obviously not free of conflict or prejudice - no world with people in it ever could be - but they're not a carbon copy of the conflicts we're used to seeing. Like Ryan said, we made that choice to make the world more peaceful.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Return to General