Voice acting.

Where modders get to tear my game apart when I *finally* release the tools

Voice acting.

PostPosted by jam » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:54 am

I'm not sure how complex such a mod would be, at least technically I don't imagine it would be too hard but I think it would be a great thing to put the community to, if anyone is interested I wouldn't mind organizing something like this myself (once the game is out on steam at least that is).

EDIT: Please let me know if you are interested, and especially if you think you have any kind of voice talent, if I can just get a few people who can do one or a more voices I will start organizing this seriously, of course anyone is welcome to post auditions, that is always helpful so I know what to expect :)
Last edited by jam on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jam
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:41 pm

jam wrote:I'm not sure how complex such a mod would be, at least technically I don't imagine it would be too hard but I think it would be a great thing to put the community to, if anyone is interested I wouldn't mind organizing something like this myself (once the game is out on steam at least that is).

It should be possible, and I encourage you to try, but you should know what you're getting into. Even without counting repeated phrases, Frontiers's main storyline counts over 80,000 words. Side quests, when they're finished, will add thousands more. It'll be a big job!
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by jam » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:01 am

Well maybe I won't be the only person organizing it then :P and I certainly don't wish to be the only voice, that would just get strange and unusual, like a twilight zone episode, But I really do want to do everything I can to get this done :)

P.S https://soundcloud.com/jamie-williams-22/balyn-omavel-test-1-jamie-williams link to an old audition of mine for a dunmer in the skywind project, unfortunately i was too late to the party on that one, but hopefully it gives you an idea of the kind of voices I can do myself.
jam
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Morrowind vs. Skyrim is a good example of why voice would not work. Count up the lines in Skyrim vs. the lines in Morrowind, Morrowind is a literal novel, Skyrim is a comic book. Look at ESO where they used voice synthesizers in beta, and people hated it and clamored for fully voiced, showing it has to be all or nothing. A voice mod cannot gain traction for that reason, because most users want to wait for it to be done, meaning you cannot get enough people to do voices because the mod is not popular enough to merit the effort. So you rush the job not being picky about recording quality and have users who do not use it because of that alone.
yarnevk
Pathmaker
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by jam » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:45 am

yarnevk wrote:Morrowind vs. Skyrim is a good example of why voice would not work. Count up the lines in Skyrim vs. the lines in Morrowind, Morrowind is a literal novel, Skyrim is a comic book. Look at ESO where they used voice synthesizers in beta, and people hated it and clamored for fully voiced, showing it has to be all or nothing. A voice mod cannot gain traction for that reason, because most users want to wait for it to be done, meaning you cannot get enough people to do voices because the mod is not popular enough to merit the effort. So you rush the job not being picky about recording quality and have users who do not use it because of that alone.


For starters, everyone who participated would have to have a minimum of, an okay microphone, a room with little reverb, a clear voice, and be able to follow a few easy steps in post to improve voice clarity, if people can't meet those simple requirements they probably won't be accepted in the mod (at least for voice acting maybe they could help in organization or programming). As for participation, I'm confident if we manage to get at least a small group to voice an entire side quest, and we regularly post on progress, we could get enough people interested to finish the main quest line.

So please let me know if you are interested, and especially if you think you have any kind of voice talent, if I can just get a few people who can do one or a more voices I will start organizing this seriously, of course anyone is welcome to post auditions, that is always helpful so I know what to expect :)
jam
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by yarnevk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Already not interested in using your mod because your standards are much lower than I would want to listen to. I expect voices to be recorded in a consistent sound studio because my sound system is good enough to hear differences in rooms. The game devs made the right decision to focus on the written word to tell their story, rather than compromise their story to accomodate what it takes to do voice. Evne those who prefer voice do not want to listen to someone read a paragraph, they only have the patience for a quick sentence, as you can usually read the paragraph faster than spoken. The gameraudience does not overlap much with audio book club, even the audio book club does it for work/drive background, not while they play a game.

You are not voicing a comic book with a narrator, you are voicing a huge novel with a large cast. Not even the large budget of ESO was able to fully voice their comic book of a game, so how will you possibly have enough to finish the mod without annoying repetition of voice actors, which will be necessary even with minimal standards on recording quality,

Doing it because you want to create a example portfolio might seem like a good reason, but part of doing professional work is knowing when a job is too large to take, as well as knowing when not to take on free work, because you do not become a pro working for free.
yarnevk
Pathmaker
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by jam » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:51 pm

I too have an amazing sound system and could tell the difference, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world of everyone have access to the exact same equipment in the same rooms, post can help a bit, but not enough and I understand that, but personally I would be willing to look past such minor flaws in a game that to be honest isn't the most technically immersive in the first place, but I completely understand how some people might not be able to. Also I'm a programmer, I only know so much about audio because I don't have a guy for sound in my games, so I have to do it all myself, so I'm not looking to do this for a port folio.

As for script length, Personally I would be fine with the original length, but if a lot of people aren't I imagine it would be fairly easy to just shorten paragraphs and get rid of a lot of unimportant fluff to the story.
jam
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:32 pm

jam wrote:As for script length, Personally I would be fine with the original length, but if a lot of people aren't I imagine it would be fairly easy to just shorten paragraphs and get rid of a lot of unimportant fluff to the story.

I wrote it. Spent nearly a year honing it to the highest levels I could. There is no unimportant fluff.

If you try to creatively edit things, you will make them worse, which means I won't like your idea anymore.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:56 pm

jam wrote:I too have an amazing sound system and could tell the difference, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world of everyone have access to the exact same equipment in the same rooms, post can help a bit, but not enough and I understand that, but personally I would be willing to look past such minor flaws in a game that to be honest isn't the most technically immersive in the first place, but I completely understand how some people might not be able to. Also I'm a programmer, I only know so much about audio because I don't have a guy for sound in my games, so I have to do it all myself, so I'm not looking to do this for a port folio.

As for script length, Personally I would be fine with the original length, but if a lot of people aren't I imagine it would be fairly easy to just shorten paragraphs and get rid of a lot of unimportant fluff to the story.


If there's one thing I've learned while working in AV it's that badly recorded audio absolutely curb-stomps immersion. Any hiss or echo or background noise is like a data-dump of spatial information directly into your brain - it tells you everything you need to know about the room it was recorded in, and if that information doesn't match what you're looking at the experience is dead.

I'd love to see someone give a voice acting mod a go, mostly out of sheer morbid curiosity - they'd have to mod in a streaming audio system somehow, and that won't be trivial, but I suppose it could be done - but I agree that anyone who tries will be facing far greater difficulties than your average mod project.

RyanASpan wrote:
jam wrote:As for script length, Personally I would be fine with the original length, but if a lot of people aren't I imagine it would be fairly easy to just shorten paragraphs and get rid of a lot of unimportant fluff to the story.

I wrote it. Spent nearly a year honing it to the highest levels I could. There is no unimportant fluff.

If you try to creatively edit things, you will make them worse, which means I won't like your idea anymore.


I can tell you're going to take all of the inevitable fan edits well. :D
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
User avatar
Railboy
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by jam » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:59 am

RyanASpan wrote:
jam wrote:As for script length, Personally I would be fine with the original length, but if a lot of people aren't I imagine it would be fairly easy to just shorten paragraphs and get rid of a lot of unimportant fluff to the story.

I wrote it. Spent nearly a year honing it to the highest levels I could. There is no unimportant fluff.

If you try to creatively edit things, you will make them worse, which means I won't like your idea anymore.


well, I will be very careful not to change too much if I have to then :P but really I will try to avoid it.

Railboy wrote:
jam wrote:I too have an amazing sound system and could tell the difference, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world of everyone have access to the exact same equipment in the same rooms, post can help a bit, but not enough and I understand that, but personally I would be willing to look past such minor flaws in a game that to be honest isn't the most technically immersive in the first place, but I completely understand how some people might not be able to. Also I'm a programmer, I only know so much about audio because I don't have a guy for sound in my games, so I have to do it all myself, so I'm not looking to do this for a port folio.

As for script length, Personally I would be fine with the original length, but if a lot of people aren't I imagine it would be fairly easy to just shorten paragraphs and get rid of a lot of unimportant fluff to the story.


If there's one thing I've learned while working in AV it's that badly recorded audio absolutely curb-stomps immersion. Any hiss or echo or background noise is like a data-dump of spatial information directly into your brain - it tells you everything you need to know about the room it was recorded in, and if that information doesn't match what you're looking at the experience is dead.

I'd love to see someone give a voice acting mod a go, mostly out of sheer morbid curiosity - they'd have to mod in a streaming audio system somehow, and that won't be trivial, but I suppose it could be done - but I agree that anyone who tries will be facing far greater difficulties than your average mod project.


anything with reverb of echoes simply won't be accepted, as for hisses and background noise, they are surprisingly easy to remove in post with no artifacts in the audio. But yeah Iv'e never really worked with unity before (excluding some messing around), so I'm not 100% sure on the difficulties I could face with audio, but I feel as long as we have access to all conversation triggers I should be able to rig something up.

I will try to satisfy your morbid curiosity if I can Lars! :P
jam
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:06 am

Railboy wrote:I can tell you're going to take all of the inevitable fan edits well. :D

Yes. I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and go LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Voice acting.

PostPosted by Gazz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 pm

I can make the modding forum invisible to you if that makes you sleep easier. =P
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
User avatar
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:28 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.


Return to Modding Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron