11/13/2014 - Game Design 101

Your chance to hear me complain

11/13/2014 - Game Design 101

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:35 am

Now that I've got playtesters providing feedback in larger numbers again (soon to be very large numbers!) I'm going to spend the next while immersing myself in game design theory so I can respond to that feedback more effectively. I've read up on game design in various places and at various times but it's been over a decade since I've done it with a real sense of purpose. Most of what I know is intuitive, and I don't think intuition can carry me all the way through the delicate and lengthy process of balancing FRONTIERS' survival elements.

If anyone knows any papers, youtube talks, exceptional rants and so on, let me know. Here's a good example recommended to me by a fellow gamer. I love this stuff. :) I'll be spending at least an hour a day cramming. Should be fun.

Part of this is an effort to purge my mind (partway, anyway) of programming theory, which I've been fully immersed in for over a year. I can tell I've been thinking about game balance as a programming problem and using programming tools to fix it. That won't do.

The beta keys are almost ready to go, just a few more details to clean up to ensure a smooth launch. Can't wait!
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Re: 11/13/2014 - Game Design 101

PostPosted by Gazz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:52 am

One issue that is very dear to me is Depth vs Complexity.

Most likely it's too late for any changes on that front but... you asked. (and it's only a 6 minute video/talk =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Faw » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Good to hear!

About game design, one issue very dear to *me* is depth-first. It's also somewhat tied to depth vs complexity. See here:
http://chrishecker.com/Design,_Games,_a ... pyParty%29
http://chrishecker.com/A_Dialogue_On_Depth

Other very (imo) important talks about game design and the philosphy attached to it are basically all longer talks by Jonathan Blow, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxFzf6yIfcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqFu5O-oPmU
Faw
Wanderer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Gazz wrote:Most likely it's too late for any changes on that front but... you asked. (and it's only a 6 minute video/talk =)

Extra Credits entire library is worth viewing if time is available...have those links ready as those toons can explain it better than you can.

One of my pet peeves is knee jerk hand holding to shut up complaints which will destroy careful balance, causing the downward spiral towards what is considered 'standard mechanics' in AAA gaming.

Another kickstarter game I supported moved the noob mobs out of the noob spawn zone because of noob complaints they got killed at the start. So now there is no safe way to learn about about combat and death mechanics close to home (as quests ask you todo), you have to leave the noob zone where there are high level pack/flying mobs that can easily one shot you, and the hand holding cycle gets worse as it is now about removing one shots! Instead devs should have said noob mobs in noob zones serve the purpose of more safely teaching you about combat/death that they are there for LTP (Learn to Play) purposes, so shut up and do so.

So you will get noobs complaining they starved to death and fix it or else their twitchytoob will expose you as a kickstarter fraud, and you just need the cajones to say STFULTP, or maybe even say this genre is just not for you.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm glad you're doing all of this last year, Lars! That's way ahead of schedule!
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:38 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, Ryan.

Also we've always been at war with Eastasia
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Starfia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Wait a minute, I think I've read this example. It might have been Doug's First Thing He Showed Me. I assume that means it's so popular these days.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

Return to Dev Logs