Civilization: Beyond Earth

From Solitaire to GTA

Civilization: Beyond Earth

PostPosted by HittingSingularity » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 am

So I've played through two games now and I have to say this game has pretty much satisfied me as a spiritual successor to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

It changes up the mechanics of Civilization more than any other game in the series, even Alpha Centauri, what with the affinity system and the new tech web instead of tech tree. I haven't digged too much into the new strategy mechanics though, I'm wondering if anyone else here has and what they think?

The changes in combat are interesting as well and really change up the pace and feel of the game. Aliens are super-strong at the begging of the game and can influence civilizations much more in the early game. Also, the fact that units getting stronger no longer relies on tech in a direct way makes the domination strategy much more interesting and can include a variety of sub-strategy choices. However I'm worried that the combat will be out of balance in many games, but I have yet to play enough to see if this is true.

Also if there's anyone wanting to set up a multiplayer game let me know!
HittingSingularity
Pathfinder

Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth

PostPosted by yarnevk » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Regret advanced purchase, bought a Surface Pro 3 to play it on while traveling, and the tiny text is unreadable because there is no UI scaling at all, it assumes you play quadHD screen on 23" monitor not 10" monitor. Lowering rez window boxes rather than scales up!

So I am playing Alpha Centauri instead, had to rebuy it on GOG.com since no CD drives on this tablet. Did not play Beryond Earth enough but it seems terraforming in missing? That was always a strategic game to play because terraforming affected the local climates forcing your foes to change their strategy.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth

PostPosted by HittingSingularity » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:38 pm

True, terraforming is gone, the only closest thing is clearing and creating miasma which can hurt or heal you depending on your affinity.

I suggest giving it a try if you have a PC available.
HittingSingularity
Pathfinder

Return to Other Games