Loading screens

Engine, AI, scripting, that sort of thing.

Loading screens

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:21 am

Will Frontiers have loading screens ala Skyrim?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: Loading screens

PostPosted by Railboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 am

Not like Skyrim specifically, but there will be a one-time full-screen loading screen when you first enter the game world, and there will probably be some kind of Half-Life-2-style loading screen as you move between major areas.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Vance » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 am

Considering most (if not all) interiors and exteriors are part of the same worldspace, there will be far less in-your-face load-screens compared to Skyrim; hopefully.

Thank you for making the game like this Lars; I've been waiting for a game like the Elder Scrolls to have open cities and open interiors.
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Zolana » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Vance wrote:Considering most (if not all) interiors and exteriors are part of the same worldspace, there will be far less in-your-face load-screens compared to Skyrim; hopefully.

Thank you for making the game like this Lars; I've been waiting for a game like the Elder Scrolls to have open cities and open interiors.

Agreed. Really didn't understand the point of Skyrim having the world as one space, with a tiny shack as a completely different one...
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by Tokage » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Zolana wrote:Agreed. Really didn't understand the point of Skyrim having the world as one space, with a tiny shack as a completely different one...

There are a lot of tiny shacks: they add up, and would increase the world's size immensely if they were added to the same place.
Tokage
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 pm

It's more logistic, when they work on it. With separate shacks they can change it more easily rather than having to co-ordinate working on the big world.

But modders always open up cities, for instance, so it is quite doable. At least on PC, I suspect consoles holds things like this back too, due to lack of memory and so on. :monkey:
This is a placeholder for something witty and clever that will both amuse and confuse you.
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by Zolana » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Cheers guys, I understand now. I guess coordination should be easier for Lars et al., as the team is small :D! Memory wise, as it's a computer game, no console issues should arise either!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Zolana

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 pm

If the building interiors were as complex as they are in Skyrim I'd probably have something similar. They had some *really* detailed and intricate interiors.

In FRONTIERS when you enter a massive dungeon game data has to load and the terrain gets turned off when it's out of sight. Same principle but hopefully a little more seamless. It's only possible because the dungeons aren't as complicated as Skyrim's. (In terms of props and scripting and the like.)
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 am

to be honest, I thought the dungeons for both oblivion and skyrim weren't that good, oblivion did cut and past a lot, and I think skyrim could have better dungeons, I think the key problem with both those games, are that they were done for consoles first, and that both games had to be written to use the limited hardware that consoles had, on top of that, the port for skyrim to the PS3 was just dreadful. but anyway, as this game is focused on PC, and if there is a 64bit version of the game (who knows?) then frontiers should work a lot better and have way larger areas in the memory, so none of the limitations that skyrim and oblivion suffered.
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 pm

I like the sound of seamless! :D

But I have to agree with the fact that as this is PC-based it should hopefully be an improvement on TES loading screens!
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:06 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:to be honest, I thought the dungeons for both oblivion and skyrim weren't that good, oblivion did cut and past a lot, and I think skyrim could have better dungeons, I think the key problem with both those games, are that they were done for consoles first, and that both games had to be written to use the limited hardware that consoles had, on top of that, the port for skyrim to the PS3 was just dreadful. but anyway, as this game is focused on PC, and if there is a 64bit version of the game (who knows?) then frontiers should work a lot better and have way larger areas in the memory, so none of the limitations that skyrim and oblivion suffered.

Just to warn you, there's still a lot of copy pate going on in FRONTIERS. Probably more so than in those games because we don't have the means to create such a varied number of assets. So even though I won't have some of the restrictions that they had, I'll still be restricted by our art budget.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 pm

If dungeons are part of the same world space as the rest of the world, one assumes that means no procedurally generated dungeons?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:If dungeons are part of the same world space as the rest of the world, one assumes that means no procedurally generated dungeons?

Correct. Some structures have randomized interiors but dungeons / temples will be crafted by hand.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Vance » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:34 am

Railboy wrote:If the building interiors were as complex as they are in Skyrim I'd probably have something similar. They had some *really* detailed and intricate interiors.

In FRONTIERS when you enter a massive dungeon game data has to load and the terrain gets turned off when it's out of sight. Same principle but hopefully a little more seamless. It's only possible because the dungeons aren't as complicated as Skyrim's. (In terms of props and scripting and the like.)

I would still prefer less intricate structures in favor of seamless integration. 8-)

Hi-ho, the adventure awaits!
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

Return to Technical Stuff