NPC Sentimentality

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

NPC Sentimentality

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Can NPCs attach sentimental value to items? e.g. an item they own "goes missing", x in-game time passes, then they pay more for something suspiciously like the item they lost so long ago?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: NPC Sentimentality

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 pm

No, nothing like that planned, but sentimental attachments are an interesting idea... going off the rails a bit here: it wouldn't be hard to write a 'Sentimental' script and attach it to a character. It could store the names and positions of several items in the world, and if the character didn't encounter them when it was near you could force them to deliver an audible speech ('Woe is me, my thingie is gone!') that the player could overhear.

Taking it a step further - when the player steals something at low skill levels the skill deposits 'traces' at the scene. The same script could automatically reduce the character's reputation with the player if it finds that the items were stolen by the player.

None of this is impossible but it would be pretty time consuming to create & test so I'll leave it to modders to play with.

[edit] Forgot to say that if you try to sell a character something you stole, they won't' pay any money for it. That might conflict with the last bit you mentioned.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Re: NPC Sentimentality

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Railboy wrote:[edit] Forgot to say that if you try to sell a character something you stole, they won't' pay any money for it. That might conflict with the last bit you mentioned.

Clone item, adjust params on successful skill check?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Return to Creative Asylum