concerns about view distance

Anything FRONTIERS related

concerns about view distance

PostPosted by Nystul » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Lars!
Recent screenshots strengthen my concerns about view distance. I loved the original kickstarter videos and screenshots where one could see an enormous view distance - which will - in my case - go in line with my ability to immerse into the game world. Recent screenshot seem to lack lots of the original view distance both by fogging out details as well as a shorter view distance in general.
What is the current state concerning view distance?
Everything else seems to be as perfect as one could imagine ;) I am especially pleased how well-thought and planned the game, code and project in general appears.
Greets!
Nystul
Butterfly Painter

Re: concerns about view distance

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:24 pm

view distance can be limited by a number of factors, on top of system specs and ram, certainly this was the case with the morrowind overall mod, even though you could see a great deal, it required a fair chunk of CPU resources and ram.

I not seen the recent screenshots, but Frontiers should work on a wide range of systems, hopefully there will be a view slider for people with beefy rigs and who want to see for miles. fingers crossed!
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Railboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:14 am

View distance is limited by Unity's terrain system more than anything else. I'm limited to nine concurrently loaded chunks - one in the middle and one to every side of you. So while the view distance can actually be much, much farther than what you see in the game, cranking it up would only reveal empty space.

The 9 chunk limit isn't hard coded - it's just a global setting, which can be modified - so if I ever release a 64-bit build then someone with an extraordinarily beefy machine could probably render 30+ chunks at once. View distance is a global setting too.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm

that is one factor I didn't consider, engine limitation, but that does sound logical, and yes, so in some ways I was also right about been able to see farther would require a beefy rig too, so got it half right

but thanks for the explanation, as that does sound very logical to me
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Nystul » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am

is the maximum view distance in the latest build the same as in the build used to generate the original kickstarter videos?
Nystul
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:07 pm

No it's definitely less now, I'd say it's been cut down by at least 30-40%. There's also more fog to facilitate blending terrain into the skybox so distant features tend to be monochromatic than they were in the early builds.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Morrowind without fog lost much of its atmosphere that there was danger around every bend. Play it with the terrain hacks that do more than 3x3 cells with no fog, and it becomes a much smaller safer world. Someday 64b games will become the norm allowing a much larger terrain buffer, but I see keeping fog as a necessary game element, it will just be more realistic fog rather than the simple horizon/skybox monoblend. Even with 64b you will still see shrunken continents with every biome on them, even though that makes no biome sense that the desert is a few miles from the tundra, because gameplay dictates nobody wants to walk the real earth, just like books and movies do all the time people want to fast forward the long travel (even though adventure is found on the road, not at the end of it!)
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Nystul » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:37 pm

ok, as long as the big world feeling is not affected too much, i will be ok with it (there is no other option anyway^^)
Nystul
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:07 am

Railboy wrote:View distance is limited by Unity's terrain system more than anything else. I'm limited to nine concurrently loaded chunks - one in the middle and one to every side of you. So while the view distance can actually be much, much farther than what you see in the game, cranking it up would only reveal empty space.

The 9 chunk limit isn't hard coded - it's just a global setting, which can be modified - so if I ever release a 64-bit build then someone with an extraordinarily beefy machine could probably render 30+ chunks at once. View distance is a global setting too.

Bake to skybox ?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Return to General