Excited about Frontiers!

Anything FRONTIERS related

Excited about Frontiers!

PostPosted by Envades » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:57 am

I just want to tell you guys your doing an amazing job!

I've been trying to spread the word out to my followers on twitter [@envades] and to a few podcast whom are interested in the game as well!

Would it be possible to schedule a Dev or a group of Devs on for a podcast/livestream in the near future to talk about the game live on a stream and go over some of the videos provided on youtube? Or should I ask at a later date?
Envades
Butterfly Painter

Re: Excited about Frontiers!

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:02 am

Envades wrote:I just want to tell you guys your doing an amazing job!

I've been trying to spread the word out to my followers on twitter [@envades] and to a few podcast whom are interested in the game as well!

Would it be possible to schedule a Dev or a group of Devs on for a podcast/livestream in the near future to talk about the game live on a stream and go over some of the videos provided on youtube? Or should I ask at a later date?

I'm a podcaster myself, so I'd be happy to appear on any number of those. Livestreams I'm less keen on. I couldn't say much about the technology or graphics, that's all Lars, but I did design and write the entire storyline. Might be something worth talking about.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Starfia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm open to podcasts too, potentially – and I'd enjoy actually hearing Ryan, which I never have. (Both of us contributed content and neither of us are devs – at least not for this project.) Lars is generally too busy these weeks to even post text updates, which he still manages in the dev log feed when he has something cool to share – and he's done enough long-form podcasts that I usually tell people to Google "frontiers doom ray" for three more hours of him pontificating if they can't get enough content and have trouble appreciating the programming-related topics.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Starfia wrote:I'm open to podcasts too, potentially – and I'd enjoy actually hearing Ryan, which I never have. (Both of us contributed content and neither of us are devs – at least not for this project.) Lars is generally too busy these weeks to even post text updates, which he still manages in the dev log feed when he has something cool to share – and he's done enough long-form podcasts that I usually tell people to Google "frontiers doom ray" for three more hours of him pontificating if they can't get enough content and have trouble appreciating the programming-related topics.

Eh? I'd certainly call myself a 'dev' under the usual meaning of the word. It doesn't apply exclusively to programmers. Really, after Lars, I've put the most man-hours into Frontiers of anyone, and I'm still actively working on the project.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Envades » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Oh that'll be great! Let me get in contact with the streamer that I want to host the "live interview/podcast?" He is a partnered streamer on twitch and a voice actor for a upcoming game called The Repopulation. We scheduled a similar situation with The Repopulation and it turned out pretty well.. pulling in about 500 up to 1,000 viewers. He'll love to go over story background and just about any information that is possible without giving away any secrets.
Envades
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Starfia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Oh, interesting, Ryan. Of course both of our contributions have been part of the project's literal development, but to this point I think I've only ever called people who actually write code for a game, "developers."

Though, I see that… certainly our forum labels aren't so particular about that.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by Starfia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Okay - looking around, I've clearly been wrong about the meaning of the word, which is incredibly bizarre considering video games and programming have been a fervent interest of mine since I was six. Well, okay. ^ _ ^

Sorry, Ryan – of course I know your work on the game is primary and I didn't mean to have suggested otherwise.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by Gazz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Even I got to be a "developer". Mostly because Lars didn't want people confused about a big mouth moderator butting in on serious business threads... or something along those lines. =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 am

RyanASpan wrote:I'm a podcaster myself, so I'd be happy to appear on any number of those. Livestreams I'm less keen on. I couldn't say much about the technology or graphics, that's all Lars, but I did design and write the entire storyline. Might be something worth talking about.

Just dropping in to give my blessing here - I'm too busy for proper publicity at the moment so any devs (great or small) who want to do this kind of thing should go for it provided you make a sincere effort to avoid accidentally creating unnecessary work for me.

That would include dropping controversial opinions that could start internet fires which I then have to put out (I'm looking at you, Ryan 'Firecracker' Span), making factual mistakes about Kickstarter rewards / pricing / any of that stuff (it's a nightmare to fix bad info once it's out there) and bringing up my seething hatred of the Battlestar Galactica ending. Who said that? I didn't hear anything...
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:03 am

Starfia wrote:Sorry, Ryan – of course I know your work on the game is primary and I didn't mean to have suggested otherwise.

Oh, I wasn't insulted, just taken aback. It's such a universally used meaning of the word that I simply couldn't understand why you wouldn't include us under that mantle. Now it's cleared up, no harm done.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:16 am

Railboy wrote:That would include dropping controversial opinions that could start internet fires which I then have to put out (I'm looking at you, Ryan 'Firecracker' Span), making factual mistakes about Kickstarter rewards / pricing / any of that stuff (it's a nightmare to fix bad info once it's out there) and bringing up my seething hatred of the Battlestar Galactica ending. Who said that? I didn't hear anything...

I give you a resounding Pffffffffffffffffffffft, sir! You've still never seen me put on my public face. Anything that's likely to be seen by a decent number of people will get the kid glove treatment from me.

Actually, come to think of it, you did see my game face once on the story Q&A -- which, I remind you, went off without a hitch! It also proved that one can respectfully admit to not liking some manner of IP without igniting flamewars the likes of which the internet hath never seen before. I mean, this isn't Steam.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:27 pm

The fact that you had any hope in a "Sci-Fi" series with angels as a fucking character... I call that sort of thing "Fi-Fi".

On a not-off-topic note, I'd love to hear a Podcast with non-Lars devs. Really hoping this works out.
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 pm

I actually really like Battlestar Galactica. All two seasons of it.

Oh, to be fair the season 3 pilot wasn't bad... But you could tell they were already losing the plot by then.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

Return to General