yogcast game failure

From Solitaire to GTA

yogcast game failure

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Yogcasts minecraft style open world developer just failed to deliver after a huge kickstarter budget, so they gave out keys to TUG which is another similar game in alpha. Here is a blog post from two years ago from an experienced dev saying why this kickstarter was 'screwed' before it even happened.

http://projectorgames.net/blog/?p=209

Anyone that asks for a huge feature list of their games needs to read this post. This guy has enough experience that every feature bullet on he is able to see how many people months budget it will take to do. Basically saying there is a reason that AAA quality with lots of features cut that people want still take a century of person years to make. The term AAA quality on any kickstarter should send up a red flag, even if it is an established studio, and most certainly if it is a unemployed dreamer.

BTW this guys fresh grad numbers are way off because of the new silicon valley .com boom. He says fresh grad is $25K salary + $25K overhead. But when you have kids leaving college to startup .coms and becoming billionaires, has resulted in silicon valley salary for a fresh BSCS of $85k, and much higher overheads because of stocks and campus amenities. Even if you do not have a company there, you are competing with them because of the new millennial generation that is happy to be a migratory worker and does not understand what COLA really means (it is not what you make, it is what you spend)
yarnevk
Pathmaker

Re: yogcast game failure

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:42 pm

The next time you notice the low-res character models in FRONTIERS or the lack of in-game hands or the lack of recorded dialog or the low-res textures or any of the hundreds of other features & polish I've elected not to spend time on - this is why, people. This is why I'm such a stingy motherfucker.

Read this post and marvel at how fast their money evaporated.

I don't want to get too high and mighty about this - not only because I feel for any dev whose project goes badly no matter what the reason, but also because I am over schedule on an ambitous game myself and not totally out of the woods yet. But I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a hint of toldyaso when I hear projects like this have gone bust. So many KS game pages read like a list of pinpricks that will eventually kill the project.

(If FRONTIERS ever goes the way of Yogsventure feel free to rub this post in my smarmy face.)
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Read the post from the dev saying it cost him his marriage and nearly his job (did not realize that was a part time effort, thought it was full time with a salary draw). The only way to learn to succeed is to fail badly over and over again, so I don't think anyone should pile anything more on the dev for his failure.

I put more of the blame on the supporters that egg them on with the lemming featuritis and arm chair wishlists, the guy said he was afraid to say no for fear of losing support. The dev responded to that blog two years ago with typical gung-ho posts how dare you try to dash my dream type posts, but it is actually their failure and more like this that it will take to put a stop to these high budget kickstarters because it is only the supporters that can do it, kickstarter is legally setup so they can keep taking them on.

I supported this game (Frontiers) because Lars was sensible enough to say ' sorry, no...' even though this genre deserves more attention than AAA gives it. Even SOE is getting into the survival exploration genre, but copying the weapons and zombies straight out of the DayZ playbook, which is something many of us do not want.
Last edited by yarnevk on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Gazz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Thank god we have no arm chair developers 'round here. =P
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:03 pm

I put more of the blame on the supporters that egg them on with the lemming featuritis and arm chair wishlists, the guy said he was afraid to say no for fear of losing support.

I understand your point, but I lay that blame for featuritis with the developers. I dealt with the same cacophany during the campaign and said no all the time. A few people might have bailed but the majority of them didn't mind. Of course players are going to ask for every damn thing - it's not their job to know the limitations of the project.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:15 pm

But surely it does not take you any effort at all to change the name to FrontierZ and put some zombies in right? :twisted:
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:14 pm

yarnevk wrote:But surely it does not take you any effort at all to change the name to FrontierZ and put some zombies in right? :twisted:

*urge to kill rising...*
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 am

I think the KS and crowd funding model is going to hit critical, its bad enough with bad apples like areal allowed on that platform, butr yeah, the failure rate for legit ones is probably going to raise too, but still once the news of this and other scams start to become maintain, got a feeling fewer and fewer people will trust the platform to pledge and kickstart people's dreams

when we will be back to square one, and relaying on dratted publishers once more. :(
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Railboy wrote:
yarnevk wrote:But surely it does not take you any effort at all to change the name to FrontierZ and put some zombies in right? :twisted:

*urge to kill rising...*

Keep it on simmer so it is ready to boil for when you do eventually get on steam early access because someone will start a hate campaign against your game because you are refusing to work with the community (AKA vocal miniority trolls who are not buying your game but pretend they did) with such a simple request as ZombieZZZZZ even though they said PLZZZZ. It is a predictable event more sure than what the weather will be next week.
Last edited by yarnevk on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by yarnevk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:39 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:when we will be back to square one, and relaying on dratted publishers once more. :(

I see Kickstarter dying eventually because of this. What will replace it will be crowdfunded backing of angel investors, there are very few that work in the gaming industry but that will change as more of the people that put $10k into big kickstarters get burned. With the angel investors vetting projects and taking a chair on the board, these dreamers with no project/budget realities get kicked out of the process early before the crowds are asked to fund. Many kickstarters are already admitted it was just a show me the fans to get the angel investors to commit, as the kickstarter could never finish the game by itself. That is exactly what Oculus Rift did but has a downside when the investors have different priorities, how many wanted to pull their pledges now that it is destined for FB Farmville VR player? For the general market beyond games, this would be a perfect tie-in to the TV show Shark Tank, that you get to be a shark.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:12 pm

KS might go under if they pull the plug due to profit levels getting too low, but I can't see every last user abandoning it. They're just going to get more discerning. You'll see fewer successes for first-time-around hopefuls and more serious gains for people who have shown they're capable of lasting through the whole dev cycle and achieving what they set out to do.

Seriously, a $35k lump sum with no security...? I've never heard of a contract that dumb.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

Return to Other Games