How some of the caves will look...

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

How some of the caves will look...

PostPosted by werewolf334 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:07 pm

I was just re-playing Dear Esther, and was admiring the cave/underground areas. With the bio-luminescence, and soft candle lighting for contrast at parts...made the caves one of my favorite areas of the game to go through. The mist from the water also added wonderful atmosphere. My question is (or something to think of if you haven't already).......do you have any plans to add that kind of atmosphere to your caves?

And the sound...super immersive...with sound effects and music. Ok...now I'm gushing...and I must go play Dear Esther again :)
werewolf334
Novice
Novice

Re: How some of the caves will look...

PostPosted by Starfia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:48 pm

All that stuff was gorgeous in Dear Esther. I don't know much more than anyone else about the layout, but I think I remember becoming aware there are some nice hidden cave moments, and of course, a glowing material called Luminite is a natural occurrence.

I haven't had to compose any cave-specific themes, but the region tracks are extensive and I've written everything on the presumption they might end up fitting with any kind of environment. I love that kind of thought, that one melody or progression might be juxtaposed at different times with different things to kind of brush up these subtle reflections about both.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

Re: How some of the caves will look...

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Dear Esther's caves were very, very well done. And there were only a few so the artist really got to perfect them. FRONTIERS has caves a plenty but they're a tad more crude, just because the story calls for a lot of them and there's less time to perfect each one. (Plus some of them are huge - I get lost frequently and I built the things.) But they're still plenty nice to look at, and they're naturally lit with Luminite crystals.

This was a timely post because I had just sat down to document the cave / dungeon system when it popped up. Made me laugh.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Return to Creative Asylum