Music Notation - GoT

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Music Notation - GoT

PostPosted by Capt Daf » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just for kicks, I transposed the first 28 bars of the Game of Thrones theme into the Frontiers music notation. It's after 01:00 here so there might be one or two mistakes. :p
Since I can't attach docx or pdf files, here it is in boring old plain text:

Right Hand:
>>T9|M9|npT|Mnp|O9+O9+O9+O9|R9|<W9|>nmR|<W9|>wynmM|"9|#g>s|<4'>r##|<T9|M9|npT|Myz24|O9+O9+76421O9|y1246W9t|R9|<W9|7>wynmR|<W9|

Left Hand:
<<kr>kmnr|>kmnr>km|nmk<rnm|<}rnmY|<r>mrtu>m|rtu>mrt|utrm<ut|rm<utrm|<upu}pu|>m<pu>n<pu|>p<pu>n<pu|>m<pu}pu|<p>kprs}|>prs>kpr|U9|<T9|<<kr>kmnr|>kmnr>km|nmk<rnm|<}rnmk|<r>mrtu>m|rtu>mrt|Wh|fdd|<i>mnd|<i>mnd|<i>mnd|<i>mnd|
Capt Daf
Butterfly Painter

Re: Music Notation - GoT

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:35 pm

That's awesome! Didn't Marv write a web tool that plays FRONTIERS music? We need to summon him to take this for a spin.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Starfia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Holy cow, did someone do that? That's totally possible and I've never thought of it.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by Merla » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:53 am

SignpostMarv in this thread wrote:Octave shifting now implemented, so "<w<x<y<z<1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8wxyz12345678>w>x>y>z>1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8" does the full scale :)

I've not implemented tied notes yet.

adding in the link again as we're now onto page 3 :P http://dev.signpostmarv.name/pub/fronti ... -composer/

p.s. transposing sheet music is a p.i.t.a.

compare "<rmvtvmvm<rmvtvmvm|<ro>kv>ko>ko<ro>kv>ko>ko|<rrvtvrvr<rrvtvrvr|<rmvtvrqrorqr<vml<v|<lrtrtrtr<krtrtrtr|" to http://www.scribd.com/doc/29158650/Prel ... heet-Music

p.p.s. Since transposing sheet music was annoying, I've attempted to convert key presses on the web synth gui to frontiers music notation :)

p.p.p.s Added format/unformat buttons to split tune into bars.

copy and paste, click format to see the symbols

I tried the right hand with Gain 50%, BPM 40, Octave 1, Measure 1, and Select patch 'Clean Bass'. Could be that the tool does not support all notation elements, but the start is definitive recognizable :P
Merla
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by yarnevk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:42 pm

There really needs to be music players in game that can read the sheet music! Download a song, and give it to the bard in the tavern. Even better if they had varying music skill so that cheap dive bar has some missed notes, whereas the fancy inn has a string quartet from the academy.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Capt Daf » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:37 am

Merla wrote:
SignpostMarv in this thread wrote:Octave shifting now implemented, so "<w<x<y<z<1<2<3<4<5<6<7<8wxyz12345678>w>x>y>z>1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8" does the full scale :)

I tried the right hand with Gain 50%, BPM 40, Octave 1, Measure 1, and Select patch 'Clean Bass'. Could be that the tool does not support all notation elements, but the start is definitive recognizable :P

Ooh, could be my octave up/down notation, which I only did when the octave changed rather than for each note. I will check that out. :-)

Simpler version, with trills removed, for octave 2: T9M9npTMnpO9+O9+O9+O9R9<W9nmR<W9nmM"9#g>g>f##T9M9npTMyz24O9+O9+O9+O9R9<W9nmR<W9
The music composer linked above seems to play the long notes (dotted minums) short and the short notes (quavers) long. Instead of duuuun duuuun duh-duh duun duun duh-duh duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun it comes out duh-duh duuuun duuuun duh-duh duuuun duuuun duh-duh-duh-duh (it has notation for tied notes but plays them separately)
Capt Daf
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:06 am

Capt Daf wrote:
Merla wrote:

Ooh, could be my octave up/down notation, which I only did when the octave changed rather than for each note. I will check that out. :-)

Simpler version, with trills removed, for octave 2: T9M9npTMnpO9+O9+O9+O9R9<W9nmR<W9nmM"9#g>g>f##T9M9npTMyz24O9+O9+O9+O9R9<W9nmR<W9
The music composer linked above seems to play the long notes (dotted minums) short and the short notes (quavers) long. Instead of duuuun duuuun duh-duh duun duun duh-duh duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun it comes out duh-duh duuuun duuuun duh-duh duuuun duuuun duh-duh-duh-duh (it has notation for tied notes but plays them separately)

I do need to get it updated, I think some changes were made to the font after I published that :P
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Merla » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:45 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:I do need to get it updated, I think some changes were made to the font after I published that :P

Because you want to work on it anyway ( ;) ): can you add url-parameter parsing for all the major parameters and add a button to generate a link to share a song with parameter config?
Merla
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Starfia » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Wait. I already knew about this and just completely forgot. Yay, it's still excellent.

So, yes – the font did change at a couple of points. Importantly, the conversion from our notation to Frontiers notation was altered by a half-step, e.g., so that "middle C" is an empty base with no dots. (Formerly, middle C was written as a base with one open dot.)

The recent Music Notation Guide is definitive on this now: http://atomicagedog.com/frontiers/music/

At the moment, referring to the lettered pitches does still produce the correct plain text string, so you'll still get usable music if you refer to them and ignore the displayed Kantvarld characters.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

Return to Creative Asylum