how to get Alpha Access?

All about getting the game, where, and how.

how to get Alpha Access?

PostPosted by MurdersBane » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 am

id like to know how to get alpha access.

also any plans for a steam release? if so put ur game on greenlight b4 they close greenlight.
MurdersBane
Novice
Novice

Re: how to get Alpha Access?

PostPosted by Gazz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:19 am

There is no way to get alpha access now and there won't be.

As for the Greenlight question:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =242472205
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by MurdersBane » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:33 am

dang because i am totally willing to back u guys up early on but only if i can play :\ like minecraft :(

think you would make alot more if you open up to letting people play :(

but ill upvote you guys on steam and i hope you guys make it there :)
MurdersBane
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Gazz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am

I updated the FAQ sticky because apparently no one has done so in a few months. =)
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Gazz wrote:I updated the FAQ sticky because apparently no one has done so in a few months. =)

Thanks Gazz, this place would fall into disarray without you.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Flatfingers » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:43 am

Let's try this a different way.

Suppose that you were a handsome, fiendishly clever and all-around delightful human being, who happened to back Frontiers on Kickstarter at the Journeyman level or above -- but I repeat myself. :)

How would such a person obtain access to a copy of the Alpha build of Frontiers in order to provide useful feedback?
Flatfingers
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by MurdersBane » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:49 am

Flatfingers wrote:Let's try this a different way.

Suppose that you were a handsome, fiendishly clever and all-around delightful human being, who happened to back Frontiers on Kickstarter at the Journeyman level or above -- but I repeat myself. :)

How would such a person obtain access to a copy of the Alpha build of Frontiers in order to provide useful feedback?

yea i would have backed on kickstarter if i had known this existed ._. didnt find out till about... well when i made my account ._.

i mean i dont disagree with charging us more (20-25) to get alpha access... but id like to play and give some feedback :)

and im glad you guys are greenlighted you deserve it :) finally a game similer to ES with alot more potential :D

tho i would like to see a actual housing system in the game ._.
MurdersBane
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Merla » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:34 am

Flatfingers wrote:Let's try this a different way.

There are so many of us who would like to get an alpha build and provide feedback, that it is not manageable for the team. The alpha testers were (more or less) randomly selected from the Kickstarter survey requests and all the others (like me ;) and you ) have to wait till the beta is out.
Merla
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Flatfingers » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:53 am

Merla wrote:There are so many of us who would like to get an alpha build and provide feedback, that it is not manageable for the team. The alpha testers were (more or less) randomly selected from the Kickstarter survey requests and all the others (like me ;) and you ) have to wait till the beta is out.

Thanks, Merla -- that pretty much confirms the last thing I thought I read about this.

No worries, just wondering if the alpha had been broadened yet past the first set of selected testers plus some random Kickstarter backers (of whom I might be one if I were sufficiently randomized).

[Edit: The sentence above was confusing. I actually did back Frontiers at the Journeyman level; what I wasn't was a randomly-selected alpha tester out of that KS backer group.]

I've got a couple of comments about some things in the recent anniversary video update. If playing the alpha build so as to have a more informed opinion were possible, I'd do that first. That not being the case, I may resort to expressing an uninformed opinion and see how that works out. :)
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flatfingers
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by Gazz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 am

Railboy wrote:Thanks Gazz, this place would fall into disarray without you.

I wasn't aware of how outdated that sticky was until the OP posted his question...

Besides, sometimes stuff changes 'round here without anyone noticing. Usually that means it's working. =P
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by MurdersBane » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:43 am

Gazz wrote:

I wasn't aware of how outdated that sticky was until the OP posted his question...

Besides, sometimes stuff changes 'round here without anyone noticing. Usually that means it's working. =P

hay just wondering why did you guys choose no EA? just wondering since it seems to be the thing to do these days.
MurdersBane
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by FigmentEra » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:08 pm

MurdersBane wrote:
Gazz wrote:

hay just wondering why did you guys choose no EA? just wondering since it seems to be the thing to do these days.

The forum had a really long discussion about this, actually. You can probably find it in Dev Logs. Short version: too many horror and not enough success stories.
FigmentEra
Wanderer

PostPosted by Zolana » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:48 pm

FigmentEra wrote:
The forum had a really long discussion about this, actually. You can probably find it in Dev Logs. Short version: too many horror and not enough success stories.

That would be this thread right here.
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by MurdersBane » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:35 pm

why not do another campaign not from kick starter but from the other money site like it? no one has to support a second time unless they would like ._. its not ransom like he fears.

heck i paid more for starbound then i should have XD and if u had that system it would be easily making plenty of money so they finish in good time with a good budget :) ... ohh and set some goals... not anything crazy like some devs try to do... but simple things ._. very simple.
MurdersBane
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I think the problem with early access is, quite a lot of devs / games are getting a lot of flak using it, sure the point of early access is to help devs with bugs, feedback and so on, but quite a few games aren't getting finished, or taking a long time, I seen a lot of games getting hammered by posters saying, "not another EA title" or "stop paying to alpha test games must stop" I think quite a few people are starting to reject the idea of EA or understand what it is or does.

I think if Frontiers did enter EA, it too would get the same amount of flak as every other game. I think if frontiers came on steam completed, then the sales would rocket, then if it entered as an EA title, especailly as people will also say, this is also a skyrim clone, or something else.

I do think Lars is doing the right thing, just hope that money isn't a major issue, which sadly is a concern. but I'm sure Lars will do what is best for this game and the community that supports it.
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by MurdersBane » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:28 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:I think the problem with early access is, quite a lot of devs / games are getting a lot of flak using it, sure the point of early access is to help devs with bugs, feedback and so on, but quite a few games aren't getting finished, or taking a long time, I seen a lot of games getting hammered by posters saying, "not another EA title" or "stop paying to alpha test games must stop" I think quite a few people are starting to reject the idea of EA or understand what it is or does.

I think if Frontiers did enter EA, it too would get the same amount of flak as every other game. I think if frontiers came on steam completed, then the sales would rocket, then if it entered as an EA title, especailly as people will also say, this is also a skyrim clone, or something else.

I do think Lars is doing the right thing, just hope that money isn't a major issue, which sadly is a concern. but I'm sure Lars will do what is best for this game and the community that supports it.

sounds like money is a major issue ._. and he can "EA" the game from this website without having to put it on steam till its finished (some people do that to keep the number of testers down to a minimum while still having abit of money come in to pay the bills)

i mean hec id be willing to pay and i know lots of other people on here are willing... i myself would be buying 2 accounts (1 for me and my gf) so thats 2 sales in itself.

IF he does decide to do this he needs to make sure to have it say its a VERY EARLY BUILD and give a link to where we can post bugs and such ._.
MurdersBane
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Very good Extra Credit about Steam Early Access - The problem with unfinished games. They make the point that the unfinished game reduces sales potential of the finished game, people simply do not have attention spans of months to years to retry the finished game after they 'think' they already tried it in early access, even though they already 'bought' it they are not there at release recommending it to their friends.

http://youtu.be/CmLz00L6CmY
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks for the link. They make good points.

The word-of-mouth issue is huge for FRONTIERS.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Return to Kickstarter / Preorders / Steam / Alpha / Beta Questions & Support