Treasure hunting

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Treasure hunting

PostPosted by Thundercles » Sat May 10, 2014 2:34 am

Couldn't find this anywhere else so sorry if it's a duplicate.

Have maps hidden throughout the world that give "hints" or a picture of some terrain.

The treasure is only active if you have the map in your inventory', maybe something like that. Sorry I don't know anything about programming or developing.

Archeage has a really cool treasure hunting system. Map gives coordinates, you must craft a compass and then travel to the coordinates. You have to have the map to spawn the treasure.
Thundercles
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Treasure hunting

PostPosted by yarnevk » Sat May 10, 2014 1:09 pm

That is not a treasure map, giving coordinates is a game those with hiking GPS do to find the goods. Skyrim had it right, make a real treasure map with an X that says treasure be here, with a really bad sketch that leaves you wondering where the treasure is until you accidently stumble on it then realize the area matches the drawing. :P
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Red Dead Redemption did that very well. It was one of my favorite parts of the game.
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by Thundercles » Sun May 11, 2014 2:29 am

ESO treasure hunting is interesting. You just get som text with waypoints. Like go 20 paces north from the star in port whoever, then go 40 paces ne of the beholder breeding grounds, etc...
Thundercles
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 am

yarnevk wrote:That is not a treasure map, giving coordinates is a game those with hiking GPS do to find the goods. Skyrim had it right, make a real treasure map with an X that says treasure be here, with a really bad sketch that leaves you wondering where the treasure is until you accidently stumble on it then realize the area matches the drawing. :P

By any chance have you tried treasure hunting in Assassin's Creed 4 with the companion app running on a phone/tablet? I've found that actually having the game map running *and* the "really bad sketch" improved the experience of treasure hunting over that in Skyrim.

p.s. artistic skills of Caribbean pirates seem to be better than that of Skyrim (Skyrimial ?) bandits
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by yarnevk » Sun May 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Thundercles wrote:ESO treasure hunting is interesting. You just get som text with waypoints. Like go 20 paces north from the star in port whoever, then go 40 paces ne of the beholder breeding grounds, etc...

Got a blue treasuremap in ESO/stonefalls, a drawing of a bridge the treasure is under it, just like Skyrim maps no text, yours sounds like a quest?. At least it is a bridge and not a log so I might actually find it!

I finally gave into ESO as I could not resist travelling Morrowind along the Inner Sea, though there are still bots and bugs. Most of the complaints are about it being massively single player, which is true of every MMO until you get to group dungeons which really are not coop at all but a bunch of individual OP builds zerging thru. The Dwemer dungeons in ESO massively suck compared to Morrowind, its a giant loop with wide hallways to accomodate the zerg. At least Skyrim pretended the back to the start shortcut was a shortcut.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

Return to Creative Asylum