5/8/2014 - Deadlines

Your chance to hear me complain

5/8/2014 - Deadlines

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:27 pm

There's been a lot of chatter about release dates, not just in the forums but everywhere. (I got 3 chats in the past hour alone!) I figure some sort of official-ish response is in order. I've said a lot of this elsewhere but this is me putting it all in one place for easy reference.

Will the game be delivered end of Q2 2014?

Maybe. I have no idea. Here's why:

Back up a year or so. After Kickstarter I thought I was going to be a badass when it came to project deadlines. You'll find I don't brag often, but I'll brag my mismatched socks off when it comes to work ethic and self discipline. My level of devotion to a project is unusual even among fellow workaholics. I simply do not stop. I've never missed a deadline professionally, not even on the really crazy jobs.

So with all that under my belt I figured I'd waltz onto the indie scene and show folks how it was done. Okay maybe not quite that dramatic, but I was pretty sure I'd beat par. Lots of people (especially other devs) warned me that deadlines would slip, and that it might be wise to avoid announcements, but whatever - there's always someone saying I can't do such-and-such and they're usually wrong. So I ignored advice on this particular point.

Well, they were right. Don't ask me how because I still don't know - it could just be lack of experience in this industry, or maybe it's something intrinsic to the industry itself, or maybe it's just karma for murdering all those poor innocent deadlines in the past - but I haven't made a single major development deadline on this project since the Kickstarter ended. Doesn't matter whether it was internal or publicly announced. Sometimes I've been a week late, other times several months. Anything farther out than a day and I might as well be using a magic 8 ball. You can imagine how much this gets under my skin. Then again, maybe you can't.

So the only true answer to the Q2 2014 question is: No idea. It doesn't seem impossible, and I'm going to be as pragmatic and disciplined and brutally realistic as always, but if it happens it'll be less well-planned inevitability than glorious surprise. I've (sort of) come to terms with the fact I'm not directly in control of when this game will be finished. It's a little like white water rafting. There's no question that I'll reach the end, but when that happens is up to the river - my level of control is limited to avoiding rocks and not tipping over.

When is the beta coming? When are more screenshots coming? What about more gameplay footage? When will [x] be finished? When will you send out [z]?

Again, no idea. On the next full moon. On Friday. Christmas. Thanksgiving. Pick a day, any day. All these things will happen - that much I'm certain of at this point - but beyond that? We're all bouncing in the same roulette wheel and I won't insult you by pretending to know where we'll land.

Just to be clear, this isn't my way of telling you to stop asking. Keep asking, I don't mind, really. The fact that I don't HAVE an answer may get under my type A skin, but the fact that you all WANT an answer? That does exactly the opposite. I love knowing that people give a damn. Just be prepared to hear 'I have no idea' each time you ask, because that'll be my go-to response from now until whenever it's done.

All that said, I'm going to keep the end of Q2 2014 deadline in place on Steam and in the videos because as far as I know it's not bullshit and it may actually happen. If I get to a point where that no longer feels true I'll ditch it in favor of 'when it's done.'
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Re: 5/8/2014 - Deadlines

PostPosted by postnjam » Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 am

As a Douglas Adams once said " I love deadlines,I love the whooshing sound they make when they fly by."
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Fri May 09, 2014 9:26 am

its understandable that you not hit your deadline, many KS projects have done the same, lets not foorget you also did smash a few KS goals, which of course made things get more complex and more interesting, I dont mind waiting, as long as the game is great. one thing I hate, and I mean REALLY hate, are buggy rushed games that the devs had no real interest of making a quality game, but we do see this a lot now, endless COD clones, and many publisher funded game that simply aren't that great, or as good as the original game they are trying to better, but end up failing or missing the point completely. one reason why many indie studios are doing well.

bottom line is, as long as the game oozes of quality and not rushed or half baked, I don't mind waiting, besides, game development does take a while, especially when it is a quality game that been made. :D
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Thundercles » Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks for the honest reply! Keep up the work! Good things come to those who wait:)
Thundercles
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by kbrownridge » Tue May 13, 2014 9:52 pm

Don't worry, dude, we all still love you.
___
The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.
kbrownridge
Rock Namer

Return to Dev Logs