isometic CRPGS that are easy to get into

From Solitaire to GTA

isometic CRPGS that are easy to get into

PostPosted by postnjam » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:00 pm

After seeing some game play for Pillars of Eternity, I got interested in CRPGs, so I brought Icewind dale, first monsters......slaughtered my entire team, does anyone know a CRPG with a party, so excluding Fallout, that hasn't got a learning curve of a brick wall surrounded by tigers? One with a tutorial, perhaps?
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

Re: isometic CRPGS that are easy to get into

PostPosted by Gazz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Wizardry 7 + 8.

Wiz 6 is really dated by now. =)

They are "classic" party-based CRPG - just not isometric.

But if you want to get technical, Fallout 1+2 are party-based. Except that it's optional and you don't start with a party.

Jagged Alliance 2 is isometric and also sort-of-a party-based CRPG. With submachine guns and underslung grenade launchers.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by postnjam » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Alot of people have told me about planetscape? Any good?
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Gazz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:19 pm

No idea. I never played PlanetScape. Looks a bit too retro for my taste.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Sirinan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:19 am

postnjam wrote:After seeing some game play for Pillars of Eternity, I got interested in CRPGs, so I brought Icewind dale, first monsters......slaughtered my entire team, does anyone know a CRPG with a party, so excluding Fallout, that hasn't got a learning curve of a brick wall surrounded by tigers? One with a tutorial, perhaps?

Icewind Dale, but not Baldur's Gate? Many people consider BG and its sequel to be the pinnacle of that style of game. Planescape Torment is another highly regarded one based on the same engine. Any reason that it has to be party based? Neverwinter Nights is more single character based (though you can have companions) and feels somewhat similar despite that (it's also AD&D based, which is part of the reason.) Arcanum also fits a similar description, but isn't AD&D based if you prefer to try something that moves away from that ruleset.

Most of the ones I can think of which are fully party based are getting quite old now, and not many of those ever used the isometric POV either. Gazz already mentioned the Wizardry games. There's also the Might and Magic series, amongst others, but all of them that I recall are ~20 years old or more.

However, if you don't mind waiting, there are a couple more games which aren't out yet (but should be fairly soon) which will likely tick all the boxes - Torment: Tides of Numenera was a kickstarted spiritual successor to Planescape Torment, and one that I'm fairly excited for, Wastelands 2, is a post-apocalyptic one (think fallout but party based. The fallout series was actually inspired by the original Wastelands.)

HTH.
Sirinan
Novice
Novice

Return to Other Games