Business - Frontiers

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Business - Frontiers

PostPosted by JessieSwan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Hello I'm new here, I missed the kick starter but I will buy early access or preorder, everything in the game sounds great however I'm very interest erred in the money side. I heard you can buy buildings, just wondering what else you can do. Here are few ideas,Slash things that may be in the game that I do not know about.

House System
I know you can buy properties which is great, but what can you do with them. Can you hire staff to look after your house. Can you modify it. I think a house system with people looking after your house would be great. Some games buying a house is an empty experience you bought the biggest house in the world, but you had no servants and did nothing that made you truly feel rich.

Farm System
I heard there were farms and that you can buy them, just wondering if you could hire people to manage then. So that the farm would give you an income. It would be a cool system if prices were based on supply and demand so when food is scarce in the winter you sell, and in the summer you buy. You could leave the farm to the ai which would not use things like seasons for extra profit. Or you could micromanage it yourself drawing in a larger profit based on supply and demand.

Shop system
Selling at shops I had always thought was awkward in games. Having shopkeepers sell your goods to the village would be great. This system would be very automated and it would add to the business end of frontiers.

Caravan system
The other ideas were realistic and possibly already in the game caravan system I doubt is in the game however I think it would be really good to be able to send caravans off to other cities first if ai did this it would populate the road more, an add a more trad feel to the game.

Bandit and thieves
With all these ways to make money there needs to be ways to lose money. This could brake into stores or into houses. Bandits could take a toll from caravans. Bandits and thieves will not necessary resort to combat to take goods.

These ideas/ things I don't know about fronters would really add to the game, but if they are not there consider them in a dlc.
Thank you for your time.
JessieSwan
Novice
Novice

Re: Business - Frontiers

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I have to warn you - based on your ideas it sounds like the game you're imagining is very different (and far more complex) than the game I'm actually making. I realize your suggestions are meant to extend what's already there. But the fact that you think a feature like hiring staff to generate income for you is even a possibility suggests that you have the wrong idea about what's coming. FRONTIERS is about exploration and survival, not economic simulations or farming. You should probably adjust your expectations or you'll be disappointed.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by JessieSwan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks for your quick reply, It is more complicated then what I expect frontiers to be like, I'm just wondering about the extents of what fronters has now, and give a few ideas in case you want to expand further. I love exploration but I love economics more, I am really looking forward to the game whether or not it has an economic simulated that I have suggested.
Thanks
JessieSwan
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Keep in mind most of your list is not even in Skyrim Vanilla, they come from Skyrim mods. So it depends how extensive the modding is, with Unity if Lars (Railboy) gives you the assets and codes you could write an entirely different game. Not sure if his license will allow this due to middleware, Shroud of the Avatar from Portalarium has to limit some things with their dev+ license.

My experience with survival and exploration mods in Skyrim? The one that does it all written by one author is the best one, there is a reason for that called game balance and consistency that is impossible to achieve with multiple mods. That is the reason FrostFall, the most popular survival mod is planning on adding in eating even though there is an eating mod. But then you are still left with butchering mods that gives realistic meat from mammoth which basically makes eating survival pointless. That is why this game is interesting because it is focused on survival exploration unlike most games even modded ones, it comes with expectation of balance.

So realize if you plan to mod your list, you have to mod your entire list all at once because economies break when pieces are missing. I am not even sure a comprehensive economy mod that isn't broken even exists in Skyrim, people have only done pieces. If that gives you pause because you are just one guy, then realize so is Lars!
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by postnjam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Economic stuff stuff like that is one the first things to be modded in a Western RPG.

On another note, not sure why, but caravans going along trails with economics involved sounds like an awesome Spice and Wolf mod.
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:38 pm

postnjam wrote:Economic stuff stuff like that is one the first things to be modded in a Western RPG.

On another note, not sure why, but caravans going along trails with economics involved sounds like an awesome Spice and Wolf mod.

The first thought that comes to mind with economy mods is "make currency potatoes"
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by postnjam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 am

What is the currency of Frontiers anyway? Not that anyone will be spending money, better to steal stuff and leave potatoes as a calling card like some magnificent master thief.
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Gazz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 pm

:obex: are the currency. Are you some kind of Robin Hood?
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 pm

been a Robin Hood in the game suits me fine, rob all the potatoes and give back the silver!
matthewfarmery
Engineer

Return to Creative Asylum