Recruiting proofreaders

What's new in the world of FRONTIERS

Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm currently looking for 3 people to help proofread the main storyline dialogue for Frontiers. This involves going over the entire text as a casual reader, giving general impressions and feedback. (Ideal candidates would have some kind of writing background.)

Please post here to announce your interest, and I'll start making decisions once I see what kind of response we get!

[Lars' note: Think of this as us handing out free movie tickets to a test screening at the mall. You get to see a rough cut and we get to gauge your reaction to it.]
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by neurobot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 am

I'd be willing to help out. I don't have any formal writing experience, but I'm more or less literate (I do have a PhD in something-other-than-writing).
User avatar
neurobot
Wanderer
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by wongky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:51 am

I am interested too. I am in a research position and frequently go over others' articles and proposals and thesis and such. Occassionally check out movie scripts online. Would that be relevant?
wongky
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 am

I would love to do this! Let me know if the opportunity still exists. : )

PS: I have written for a local music website but was chosen more for my interest in music than my writing skills, I suspect. The link is long lost but the site was nadamucho.com.

-Rob
Last edited by antihuman09 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
User avatar
antihuman09
Engineer
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 am

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Starfia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:36 am

I volunteer at least a little, if that's any use to hear. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew –– I'm doing plenty with the soundtrack this month -- but I'm an obsessive editor of anything I type myself, and being forced to read some in-game text carefully might flavour some of my choices during that stretch.
User avatar
Starfia
Bard
Bard
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 am
Location: Bellingham, Washington

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 am

Thanks for the response, guys! No decisions have been made as yet, so don't let that stop you from offering. It'll be a day or two before I contact anyone with my final choices.

To clarify on the original post some more:

This job would actually involve two readings, not one. First as a relatively casual player who's going through the storyline as something to do rather than/in between going out and creating their own experience. Second, as a more serious RPG/adventure player who will be exploring the story and roleplaying opportunities in much greater depth.

The focus is on general impressions and how things _feel_. Letting me know about any spelling/grammar errors you might notice is a plus, but not an objective. Not to imply that we're skimping on quality control -- just that we're not in the quality-control stage of development yet. Text errors in video games drive me up the fucking wall so you can rest assured we'll be doing our utmost to eliminate them all.

We will be using our own tool based on a gutted version of the Frontiers alpha, so you can actually read this stuff as it will appear in the final game (barring edits, of course). Knowing how to use a generic video game dev console is a plus.

You have to be prepared for the fact that not all your advice will be used, or used in the way that you want. Editing is a tightrope walk full of tough decisions. Sometimes a suggestion helps to make the story clearer and bring it into focus, sometimes it will only end up muddying the waters. That's why development is not a democracy. ;)

Please have some kind of instant messaging program, preferably Skype, for ease of communication. Not for voice chat, just real-time text.


Let me know if you have any further questions. I'll be getting back to everyone I end up selecting via forum PMs, so keep an eye on your inbox.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Arithial » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:54 am

I would love to help with proofreading. I have written some stuff, but mainly for personal uses in DnD campaigns or short stories for friends(that are not public access). The good thing I can say for myself as a plus is that I am a story addict. I can play a horrible game if it has a great story, just for the sake of the story. I will not mention the list of books I have written, because the list will be too long :lol:
We from the Chaos Salute you...
We From The Darkness Accept you...
We From The Light Reject you forever...
User avatar
Arithial
Apprentice
Apprentice
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:14 am
Location: Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Sofia

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by kbrownridge » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm a web developer for a provincial government and I'm required to proofread the content I post.
I've also written a novel with my brother and part of that was proofreading each others material.

I'm also known as a grammar and spelling nazi by my friends and family.
___
The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.
User avatar
kbrownridge
Rock Namer
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Zarconius » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 pm

I'd love to pitch in. I'm a newspaper copy editor and former reporter with about 14 years of experience in writing and editing. I'd be happy to do anything I can to help you out. :)
User avatar
Zarconius
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:07 pm
Location: Lakeland, FL, USA

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Will be making my decisions today. Keep an eye on your PMs. If you don't get one today (tomorrow at the latest), don't take it the wrong way, it's just that we have to limit it to a few people so we can maintain a good workflow.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by cristo86mcr » Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 am

Hello,

I'm very sorry that this is a full month later than the original forum topic, but I am a professional copywriter and proof-reader with years of experience and I'm absolutely in love with this game project.

I currently work as a freelance copywriter, and as a full-time copywriter and content editor for a very successful retail website.

If you require any assistance with proof-reading dialogue, story or any other content, I would be delighted to help out. Anything at all, I'd love to get involved!

Best regards,
Chris
cristo86mcr
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:42 am

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Niriel » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am

Whoever gets the job, please, pleeease, pay extra attention to the "it's"/"its" errors. These creep up even in professional products (even books), and it really hurts my feelings :(.
Niriel
Baked Potato
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:34 am

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Gazz » Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 am

And don't forget the there / their!

Oh, and spelling. And grammar. And uhh... generally speaking english, I guess. =P
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
User avatar
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:28 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Sun May 11, 2014 7:31 am

cristo86mcr wrote:Hello,

I'm very sorry that this is a full month later than the original forum topic, but I am a professional copywriter and proof-reader with years of experience and I'm absolutely in love with this game project.

I currently work as a freelance copywriter, and as a full-time copywriter and content editor for a very successful retail website.

If you require any assistance with proof-reading dialogue, story or any other content, I would be delighted to help out. Anything at all, I'd love to get involved!

Best regards,
Chris

I think we're full up at the mo, but that may change. Keep reading the forums and I may send you a PM.


Niriel wrote:Whoever gets the job, please, pleeease, pay extra attention to the "it's"/"its" errors. These creep up even in professional products (even books), and it really hurts my feelings :(.

Whomever gets the job will have a hard time finding any of those mistakes in my work. I can't stand them either, I rarely make them in casual online conversations and just about never when I'm working. 'Cause I'm a fucking professional. ;)
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Railboy » Sun May 11, 2014 7:39 pm

RyanASpan wrote:Whomever gets the job will have a hard time finding any of those mistakes in my work.


They're rare, but I've caught a few. Proofreaders get an internet point for every one they find. :lol:
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
User avatar
Railboy
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Sun May 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Railboy wrote:
RyanASpan wrote:Whomever gets the job will have a hard time finding any of those mistakes in my work.


They're rare, but I've caught a few. Proofreaders get an internet point for every one they find. :lol:

In _my_ stuff? The occasional typo, sure, but its/it's or there/their/they're? I make those once in a blue moon, especially given that I learned written English long before I learned to really speak it.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by cristo86mcr » Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am

Unfortunately when it comes to punctuation and grammar, especially its/it's, there/their/they're, your/you're and so on, as long as the mistake has been made, there will forever be a pedant around who will notice it. Being that pedant is how I earn a crust.

I've even seen cases where people have mixed up "our" and "are". It makes me sad :'(
cristo86mcr
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:42 am

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am

I hope you have some journals in the game written by uneducated folks since not everyone in real world paid attention in grammar school, I think this would be more true to a medevial RPG. And it will make all the proofreaders cringe that they cannot fix it! :lol:
yarnevk
Pathmaker
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by cristo86mcr » Wed May 14, 2014 12:34 pm

One of the most challenging things when editing someone else's writing is to keep their 'voice' intact. This is something that I always enjoy seeing done well, especially in games like Elder Scrolls, where each book is written in its own contextual 'gamespeak'.

It's fun to decipher the writing based on its author, where the truth might be exaggerated or inaccurate based on the subjective qualities of whomever wrote it. So if the journal was written hundreds of years ago, you can see what has changed or stayed the same since.
cristo86mcr
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:42 am

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed May 14, 2014 5:34 pm

yarnevk wrote:I hope you have some journals in the game written by uneducated folks since not everyone in real world paid attention in grammar school, I think this would be more true to a medevial RPG. And it will make all the proofreaders cringe that they cannot fix it! :lol:

Not really my part of the game, but I would point out that in medieval/Renaissance-analogue RPGs, most people who would make those mistakes (i.e. 'uneducated folks') would not be able to read or write.

And people who didn't pay attention in school could expect stuff like being caned for laxity. They took education very seriously back then.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

RyanASpan wrote:
yarnevk wrote:I hope you have some journals in the game written by uneducated folks since not everyone in real world paid attention in grammar school, I think this would be more true to a medevial RPG. And it will make all the proofreaders cringe that they cannot fix it! :lol:

Not really my part of the game, but I would point out that in medieval/Renaissance-analogue RPGs, most people who would make those mistakes (i.e. 'uneducated folks') would not be able to read or write.

And people who didn't pay attention in school could expect stuff like being caned for laxity. They took education very seriously back then.


True but thanks to Kantvarld's unique settlement history (and the influence of Bislan in most regions), education is more widespread (and subsequently watered-down) than what you'd find in your typical medieval analogue culture. So you're going to see a lot of bad writing coming from the left end of the bell curve. Be thankful you're not the one writing it...
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
User avatar
Railboy
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Recruiting proofreaders

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Railboy wrote:True but thanks to Kantvarld's unique settlement history (and the influence of Bislan in most regions), education is more widespread (and subsequently watered-down) than what you'd find in your typical medieval analogue culture. So you're going to see a lot of bad writing coming from the left end of the bell curve. Be thankful you're not the one writing it...

That's why I wouldn't call Frontiers a medieval or Renaissance analogue. There's too many funky bits. :P
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
User avatar
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm


Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron