3/17/2014 - Beginning of the End

Your chance to hear me complain

3/17/2014 - Beginning of the End

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:54 pm

The endgame has begun - the focus has shifted from 'let's experiment with gameplay and environments' to 'we need to lock this shit down yesterday.' Possibilities are whittled down to actualities every day now. More and more content is getting cut to fit everything into the schedule. (Don't worry, it's still nothing you'll miss - though that buffer is nearly gone.)

My immediate goals are to finish the beta, get the game on Steam / GOG / Humble Bundle (I will definitely be using Steam to distribute the beta, so a Steam Greenlight campaign will be launching shortly), then use the beta feedback to tweak the game until it's ready for the general public. And this all has to happen in three months, four tops.

This is the stage where things get really, really difficult. It's been challenging up until this point, of course, but the margin for error was forgiving and I took advantage of that. Over the next few months I will have to expertly balance PR, development, business and personal life / health leading up to the game's release and a major slip-up in any one of those categories could sink the project. This is it. The plates start spinning now.

I'm a big believer in acknowledging the possibility of failure. Failure hides in the corners of every large project waiting to slip a poisoned blade between the ribs of an overconfident project leader. This project has to look especially enticing - first-time developer, ambitious design, low budget, epic scale. But acknowledging the possibility of defeat doesn't mean accepting defeat as inevitable, any more than looking both ways before crossing the road means accepting death by semi as inevitable. I get paranoid when I don't see failure sneaking up on me, because that means that I'm either kidding myself (or, even worse, that I haven't challenged myself.)

Expect fewer devlogs from now on. When I do post they'll be dense and important.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Re: 3/17/2014 - Beginning of the End

PostPosted by postnjam » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Aw snap! We're getting serious now!
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 am

Oh shit. I guess now I'm going to have to do actual work.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Did I see a Dune reference or did I take too much spice?

Very cool to hear and best of luck, you guys!
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by Railboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 pm

antihuman09 wrote:Did I see a Dune reference or did I take too much spice?

Why not both?
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Return to Dev Logs