Soldier's letter

You can find everything down there. Except potatoes.

Soldier's letter

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks to Lars for providing me with the needed info, I have I think finished my first letter, I will post it here, in hopes that people can read and comment on it, so comments and feedback is welcome, if it gets approved by most, I will submit it for my first letter, as I'm quite proud of this one. so comment away.

My dear beloved Lucretia,[break]
It has been three very long years since I have held you in my arms, and at least 2 years since I had the opportunity to write to you, I wanted to get back to you sooner, but things haven't gone smoothly as I had hoped. On my way to The Observatory, a heavy blizzard came out of nowhere, it blinded us from our path, some of the cadets just dropped everything and ran, their bodies were found several days later and had been picked clean by scavengers. As for the rest of the company, those that were experienced in such weather conditions like this, managed to find shelter, but we had lost most of our equipment in the blizzard and were short on rations. I gave most of my share to Roderick, he was 5 years younger than me, we were close he and I, he bravely stayed out in the freezing conditions to find as much of our equipment as he could, but when he came into the cave that we found, he started to suffer from hypothermia. We tried our best to keep him warm, but most of our stuff were on pack mules, but they too bolted on the first signs of the storm. Roderick died the following day, the ground was too hard to give him a decent burial, I still regret the decision to leave his body behind, it would have been slow going carrying his body with us. I took with me his only precious thing he valued above all else, his small spyglass. He had no family, hardly any friends, I befriended him as he had no one else. He was a good soldier and followed orders to the letter. It was on my orders to send him and a couple more men into the storm, and it is on my conscious he is now dead.
[break]
[break]
Once the storm cleared, which took many days, we tried to find the rest of the company, I nearly tripped over one of them. His face was laying face down in the snow, most of him was covered, but scavengers clearly found him sooner than we did, his neck was broken, I don't know if he had a struggle with someone or something hit him in the storm, I can't even remember his name. I left his body, we had nothing to carry him with. It was slow going, but the snow completely changed the landscape, it hit this region harder and earlier than last year, I am familiar with this region, but we couldn't see any paths or familiar landmarks, but it was by shear chance we stumbled upon Avendfell, the inhabitants weren't that friendly, but with what little money we had, we were able to buy warm clothes and more rations, it took longer then we thought to reach the nearest town. We reported to the local barracks, and from there we had to go north to deal with a bandit problem that was troubling the region, as the barracks were understaffed and the bandits were regularly preying upon supply caravans.
[break]
[break]
We mopped most of them up but the last bandit was a wily one, he took out two of my men using a powerful bow that went straight through their armour, they pretty much died on the spot. By the time my company reached the town again, I had lost 1/3 of my remaining company, but our misfortune wasn't to end there.
[break]
[break]
It took us a lot longer then I planned to reach familiar lands once more, the regions aren't safe for travellers, mercenary groups like my own have tried to keep the paths safe, but it hasn't been an easy job. I know my love you didn't want me to go, but I was honour bound to do so, there were only a handful of veterans in our town, if we didn't help to keep the roads safe, no one will. We can't rely on regulars to do this, they aren't bothered to patrol the wilderness and keep many outlying villages safe from bandits, and they sure have been making a lot of trouble and noise as of late.
[break]
[break]
But my tale will soon come to an end and the reason I'm writing this letter to you now, and I hope it finds it's way into your hands, it will be the last one you will ever get from me, I'm sorry my love, but my time is short, I'm using what little energy I can to write this before I die. On my way to Hyra, I stepped on an animal trap, by the time my company reached the village, I was feeling ever so unwell. The local medicine man said it was come kind of bacterial infection that he hasn't seen before, and was unable to treat it. I don't have long to live, maybe a week, or maybe a few days.
[break]
[break]
I regret leaving you, and leaving a friend that I befriended, in a cave without a decent burial. I miss him, and I miss you a great deal more. I regret making you angry and leaving you, forgive me my love, I leave you everything I own. There is a small box under the floorboards in the place where we looked up into the stars, I have left you something there, use it well and I hope you find happiness in time, happiness that I could never provide. I love you, I will always love you
[break]
[break]
from your beloved husband,
[break]
Godwin

------------------------------------------------
matthewfarmery
Engineer

Return to The Rabbit Hole