Role-Playing TO DA MAX?!?!?!?!?!?!

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Role-Playing TO DA MAX?!?!?!?!?!?!

PostPosted by alexinator17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't know if I'm alone with this, but I think that frontiers should have like a choice where you live based on a class chosen by the player :ugeek: WE NEED CLASSES ANYWAY...so why not have a career or hobby to make your characters background even more detailed and make every character unique. Farming, building, selling, defending, stealing, and basically ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. Maybe like a GURPS system.
alexinator17
Novice
Novice

Re: Role-Playing TO DA MAX?!?!?!?!?!?!

PostPosted by ensiferum888 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:41 pm

I don't think you can select your class though, you start off as a member of the Pathfinder's Guild.
ensiferum888
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Railboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 pm

alexinator17 wrote:I don't know if I'm alone with this, but I think that frontiers should have like a choice where you live based on a class chosen by the player :ugeek: WE NEED CLASSES ANYWAY...so why not have a career or hobby to make your characters background even more detailed and make every character unique. Farming, building, selling, defending, stealing, and basically ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. Maybe like a GURPS system.

Heaven help us, I could not handle something that complex. :) Maybe modders will come along after the fact and add that kind of detail, but in the version I'm making there are no classes, only skills. And those skills are a lot simpler than what you see in most RPGs. I'm trying to get away from a number-focused game and make something more relaxing. (Plus my kung fu isn't good enough to juggle that many stats without falling over.)
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by alexinator17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm

I know its complex but maybe this could be on the character creation screen for different perks for said classes and a job associated with that class.
alexinator17
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Skills are more like perks already. Fewer and you can focus for your 'class'. Massive trees of skill with 100 levels each and things you have to do each level does turn it into a numbers spreadsheet. While the game is inspired by Elderscrolls this was intentionally one of the things that got cut. Would like to be able to go on a hike and enjoy it without level bells going off and just relax instead of 'you have gained 2% in walking sticks, 1.7% in leather shoes, and .6% in fauna knowledge but you tripped on a rock for -3.2%..."
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by alexinator17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:39 pm

yarnevk wrote:Skills are more like perks already. Fewer and you can focus for your 'class'. Massive trees of skill with 100 levels each and things you have to do each level does turn it into a numbers spreadsheet. While the game is inspired by Elderscrolls this was intentionally one of the things that got cut. Would like to be able to go on a hike and enjoy it without level bells going off and just relax instead of 'you have gained 2% in walking sticks, 1.7% in leather shoes, and .6% in fauna knowledge but you tripped on a rock for -3.2%..."

Reading this I feel your pain but don't want this game to be simple, I do want a bit of skill and challenge involved in the exploration and survival aspects of the game.
alexinator17
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Railboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:40 pm

alexinator17 wrote:I know its complex but maybe this could be on the character creation screen for different perks for said classes and a job associated with that class.

Based on how casually you ask I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't made a game before & don't know a ton about developing one. :lol: (Either that or you're a game-making guru and could make a game in an easy weekend without breaking a sweat...) Not that I'm an expert or anything. But I do know that tossing together a character creation screen and some jobs and classes is no simple feat.

When games are crafted well they feel effortless. It's just like a special effect - the best special effects are the ones you hardly notice. As a player it's easy to mistake the lack of effort on your part for a lack of effort on the part of the creators. A good rule of thumb is, the easier it is for you, the harder it was for them. So even though games like Fallout & Diablo & TES and the like made it (relatively) easy to wade through tons of stats as a player, that doesn't mean I can toss them in there as a developer.

What kind of games do you typically to play / enjoy?
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by alexinator17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Railboy wrote:
alexinator17 wrote:I know its complex but maybe this could be on the character creation screen for different perks for said classes and a job associated with that class.

Based on how casually you ask I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't made a game before & don't know a ton about developing one. :lol: (Either that or you're a game-making guru and could make a game in an easy weekend without breaking a sweat...) Not that I'm an expert or anything. But I do know that tossing together a character creation screen and some jobs and classes is no simple feat.

When games are crafted well they feel effortless. It's just like a special effect - the best special effects are the ones you hardly notice. As a player it's easy to mistake the lack of effort on your part for a lack of effort on the part of the creators. A good rule of thumb is, the easier it is for you, the harder it was for them. So even though games like Fallout & Diablo & TES and the like made it (relatively) easy to wade through tons of stats as a player, that doesn't mean I can toss them in there as a developer.

What kind of games do you typically to play / enjoy?

Normally I play RPGs or sandbox so I have absolutely no experience with exploration outside TES or Fallout, even then it was made secondary be the mechanics. besides thanks for replying and not ruling those out as a possibility. :biggrin:
PS: You're right I have no idea how hard it is so #RESPECT to you sir!
alexinator17
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:16 am

Lars,

Where DID you get your doctorate in diplomacy? I think you should teach classes. Seriously.
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:33 am

Skill need not be character skill but things that challenge the player. Just did a dungeon in Skyrim I never did before, and easily solved the open the door puzzles in what is supposed to be a hard dungeon (one of the daedric artifact ones). Because in Skyrim the answers are always in plain site so as not to make anyone think too hard. I am enjoying Skryim much more with the reality immersion mods, having to deal with staying alive in the weather and solving those problems is more fun because I actually have to think and be challenged in what I am doing in ways that have nothing to do with numbers.

Puzzles like If bear, owl snake then open take little programming skill to do, But it takes good writing to do well and not pandering to the console audience by being afraid to make your player think, and Skryim fails at that. I would much rather puzzle out a plot or a door or the weather than sort thru a pile of numbers and figure out how to optimize their progression anymore. I play a lot of Elder Scrolls and Morrowind more so than Skyrim which is even crunchier, but want to play something different here.

Just had something interesting happen from one of the Skyrim mods which was shades of Daggerfall, I think it is the Immersive Patrols Mod that does this. I tend to optomize my quests based on geographical efficiency, make a few day trips from the same area clear out the map section because that is the way Skyrim presents quests now. Finally got round to clearing out bandits from a noob mine that Jarl asked me to do months ago on bounty. As I enter I see missions success Bandit Chief killed, look over at my Vampire campaign who shrugs not me. Kill the scrubs at front and see three armed town guards coming from the depths of the mine saying stop sneaking around, and turns out everyone else is inside is dead already. Now that is some roleplaying, doing things when people ask you to because their road is being hassled by bandits cannot go on for months so they might just take care of it themselves!
Last edited by yarnevk on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 am

yarnevk wrote:Skill need not be character skill but things that challenge the player. Just did a dungeon in Skyrim I never did before, and easily solved the open the door puzzles in what is supposed to be a hard dungeon (one of the daedric artifact ones). Because in Skyrim the answers are always in plain site so as not to make anyone think too hard.

Yeah that's a different kind of challenge and one I'm more comfortable with. You can be stumped by a puzzle and still feel relaxed. We don't have a ton of puzzles but we do have some head-scratcher quests that will require you to think a bit about what to do and where to go next. The kind of challenge I'm trying to avoid is the adrenalin pumping, 'Oh dear god I only have 2 life left and no potions and there are 50 wolves following me and all I wanted to do was go for a stroll!' I like that experience too - Silent Hill 2 & System Shock 2 are some of my favorite games - but it's not the right fit for this game.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 am

antihuman09 wrote:Lars, Where DID you get your doctorate in diplomacy? I think you should teach classes. Seriously.

Ha! You wouldn't say the same if you saw the developer forums. It's a 24/7 bloodbath in there, they all hate my guts. :D
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:31 am

You keep using that word 'roleplaying'. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

There will be plenty of opportunities to actually, y'know, play a role. It's just the stats that are pretty streamlined.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Gazz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Railboy wrote:Ha! You wouldn't say the same if you saw the developer forums. It's a 24/7 bloodbath in there, they all hate my guts. :D

Not openly!
It's more like suspense / survival horror.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by DWMagus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 am

What are you guys talking about? I already got class. :cool:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

Return to Creative Asylum