Levitation

Where modders get to tear my game apart when I *finally* release the tools

Levitation

PostPosted by Wollemi Pine » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:49 am

If Lars doesn't add levitation to the game, I'll probably attempt it myself with the mod kit.
Wollemi Pine
Wanderer

Re: Levitation

PostPosted by Vance » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:06 am

Levitation would likely conflict with the *underground* science themed magic Lars is shooting for, but I would love levitation too if it was pulled off correctly. :twisted:
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Wollemi Pine » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 am

In Morrowind, I created a permanent effect levitation ring, and it was great for exploring. Was disappointed when they dropped levitation in Oblivion, but found a mod that added it in.
Wollemi Pine
Wanderer

PostPosted by Vance » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 am

Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Vance » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:12 am

Wollemi Pine wrote:In Morrowind, I created a permanent effect levitation ring, and it was great for exploring. Was disappointed when they dropped levitation in Oblivion, but found a mod that added it in.

The Scroll of Icarian Flight will never leave my memory when I saw an elf fall from the sky as a child.
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Leviation!

PostPosted by ErekoseDM » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 am

hopefully someone will mod in flying similar to 'Vampyric Fly' in Morrowind, or maybe that someone could be Sir Lars after a few Frontiers expansions ^_^

after i got that skill i couldnt put it down ^_^
mountain peak landing . . . yes please.

i mean if i can get a swarm of Butterflies, they should work like a bunch of hot air balloons eventually. . . right?! :p
Vote Frontiers on GOG.com!!!
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
ErekoseDM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by Sykotic Reaper » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Vance wrote:
Wollemi Pine wrote:In Morrowind, I created a permanent effect levitation ring, and it was great for exploring. Was disappointed when they dropped levitation in Oblivion, but found a mod that added it in.

The Scroll of Icarian Flight will never leave my memory when I saw an elf fall from the sky as a child.

If you saved your game just before that dude hit the ground (and I believe you had to re-load the game after saving), it glitched him and you could save him from dying. When I went up to him to talk after though, he was very mad at me. I guess he didn't want to be saved. Eh, go figure.
Sykotic Reaper
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by demondread » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Vance wrote:Levitation would likely conflict with the *underground* science themed magic Lars is shooting for, but I would love levitation too if it was pulled off correctly. :twisted:

I don't know i''d think they could work some form of science themed anti-grav magic in tactfully.....
demondread
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by gad » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am

I suggested it in the thing and he marked it was already a feature. WOOT!
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by mmaas7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Guys remember hang gliding is going to be implemented, right? That's pretty cool.
mmaas7
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Cody_Rauh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

If levitation was implemented, I would like the duration/range of where you could float be based on amount of mana you have. If you choose not to land while in the sky you can fall to your death... :lol:
Wondering why someone would make their avatar a close up of a couple nails?
Spoiler:      SHOW
Trololol...
Cody_Rauh
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 pm

This again? Ha! I thought the levitation debate was over...
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Cody_Rauh wrote:If levitation was implemented, I would like the duration/range of where you could float be based on amount of mana you have. If you choose not to land while in the sky you can fall to your death... :lol:

If levitation was implemented, I would like the duration/range to be boosted/impeded according to drinks/food.

Carbonated beverages, anyone?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

What's all this business about magical levitation in Frontiers? Why on earth do you think you'd need it? If you want to fly that badly, all you have to do is play the game.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Wollemi Pine » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Adding levitation would make the game so much cooler.
Wollemi Pine
Wanderer

PostPosted by Cody_Rauh » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 am

RyanASpan wrote:What's all this business about magical levitation in Frontiers? Why on earth do you think you'd need it? If you want to fly that badly, all you have to do is play the game.

I don't really see Levitation as a positive mechanic to this game, I just like the idea of people falling from the sky randomly whom I can loot and laugh at for running out of mana.
Wondering why someone would make their avatar a close up of a couple nails?
Spoiler:      SHOW
Trololol...
Cody_Rauh
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by yarnevk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:42 pm

It was a very good mechanic in Morrowind outside of overpowered enchants and potions, in the vanilla game it was very difficult to get powerful enough to stay afloat to use it as fast travel. It was intended to be no more than qualifying you to be allowed up the wizard tower and making for the occasional interesting dungeons. Of course my favorite char was my Altmer vampire that used to launch of her mushroom tower because walking was for mundanes.

Skyrim removal had more to do with devs not wanting you to see the corners of the loaded world on consoles as well as not wanting to have to think in 3D for their very linear thinking dungeon designers, who where even scared to make a branching dungeon because that would create a circle a kid could get lost in, so usually the only branch is the barred door shortcut back to the exit. No way they would keep a flight feature that guaranteed death if used incorrectly!

Planet Explorers just added a jet pack with wings combo that is amazing, you do not need a cliff to launch your glider from, just jet up! Rip that idea off with a short levitation potion/spell/enchant that can be used where nobody would notice, get you up in the air for your glider to escape the wolf, and when you glide into town the locals will not know how you got up.
Last edited by yarnevk on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Cornflakes_91 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:51 pm

yarnevk wrote:Skyrim removal had more to do with devs not wanting you to see the corners of the loaded world on consoles as well as not wanting to have to think in 3D for their very linear thinking dungeon designers, who where even scared to make a branching dungeon because that would create a circle a kid could get lost in. No way they would add a flight feature that guaranteed death if used incorrectly!

i hate modern game designers because of this
Cornflakes_91
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Wollemi Pine » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:28 pm

When I installed the levitation mod in Oblivion, it was like, wow! The views were just wonderful! Who doesn't want to be able to fly? I just wanted to add the same wow factor to Frontiers.
Wollemi Pine
Wanderer

Return to Modding Central