First-time Elder Scrolls Player

From Arena to Skyrim... and beyond!

First-time Elder Scrolls Player

PostPosted by Azashenya » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Which Elder Scrolls would people suggest starting with? (I've played various other RPG games over the .. um.. decades (well, 1.6 decades), just not this set)

I'm being tempted by the Skyrim on special on Steam (not that I need more games, have been recently buying games faster than I can play them :P)
Azashenya
Wanderer

Re: First-time Elder Scrolls Player

PostPosted by Tokage » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Start up with Skyrim, then move backwards through Oblivion and Morrowind. Each game has always been significantly easier to get into than the last, and requires less mods to make it run: unlike Oblivion, whose glitches and level scaling and other issues make it near unplayable unmodded, Skyrim can be played without mods just fine.

Doesn't stop me from having 70+ mods on mine, though.
Tokage
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Nadir » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I started with Morrowind, but it made me badly travel sick (something about the screen movement really got to me) and I didn't get more than 10 minutes in. I picked up Skyrim when it came out, and even though I know little about the lore, I found it breath-taking. Skyrim is one of the most visually beautiful games I have ever encountered.
Nadir
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Tokage » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm

I started with Oblivion, myself, the moved in to Morrowind later on. Then to Skyrim when it came up. I'd imagine Morrowind was easier to get into for me because I had a smoother fall into the fantastic land of Tamriel with the much easier-to-approach Oblivion. I do think that, in the end, Morrowind is my favourite game of the three - but they're all fantastic, really.
Tokage
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Railboy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:19 am

Which Elder Scrolls would people suggest starting with?

My suggestion would be to start with Oblivion. Not because it's the best but because it manages to be accessible without quite succumbing to the general laziness that plagued Skyrim. Morrowind's superioriry can be hard to appreciate unless you've dealt with the sandblasted feeling of the later games. (And yes you really have to mod Morrowind before you play it; the quest journal in particular was almost unusable.)

On the other hand if you're a masochist who enjoys pounding your head against the wall in confusion / frustration: Daggerfall all the way. :D
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Josiah » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:17 am

I had actually started with Morrowind. Loved it! In fact, it was the only reason I tried Oblivion. However, I ended up not enjoying Oblivion at all. The lands were far too familiar too me, and didn't have that enchanting feel to it... When I first saw Vivec in Morrowind, I was absolutely amazed. The game was definitely very creative. Also, I became a damn vampire after only playing Oblivion for a couple of days... Wasn't happy.

Skyrim I also love! It doesn't have that greatness that Morrowind is, but the graphics and atmosphere I feel do it great justice. So far it's my favorite for that exact reason. But, I love the cold, vikings are cool, werewolves and DRAGONS. So, I was quite bias.

Still say Morrowind is the best though. I always download some of the major mods for it, such as better bodies, but I still enjoy it without them.

It's very very difficult to forget that Morrowind intro theme.
Josiah
Rock Namer

PostPosted by Vance » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:35 am

If you are a lore freak like me, you will want to play all the GOOD games in sequential order as follows:

Arena
Daggerfall
Battlespire
*Redguard*
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim

If you want to start with the best Elder Scrolls experience without caring too much about graphics or bugs, start out with Daggerfall.

If you care a bit more about graphics (compared to Daggerfall) and don't care to be locked down to one world-space, start with Morrowind.

If you want hardcore cheese, potatoes, Adoring Fans and physics, pick up Oblivion.

If you like your worldspace to be dull (brown, grey, white), have realistic graphics and the story to be forced upon you, pick up Skyrim.
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Unaccounted4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 am

If you were to start right now, I'd say Morroblivion. No I'm not jerking you around, it is actually a thing: http://morroblivion.com/

You play Morrowind, with Oblivion's Engine. I'll tell you right now, it'll be better than having to mod Morrowind to high hell to even get remotely playable in 2013.

I loved Morrowind, in 2003 I was head over heels in love with it. It's just one of those games that does not age well. It just doesn't hold up anymore. Oblivion on the other hand, even with all its flaws, still does hold up.

So yeah, Morroblivion.
The official hype-man for LinuxGameCast.
@UnaccountedFour or on Google+
Unaccounted4
Pathfinder

PostPosted by Tokage » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:35 am

I prefer Morrowind Overhaul myself. http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

Mostly because I don't really want to change Morrowind's basic engine and especially the skill system, as I find they have several things I prefer over Oblivion. And also because Oblivion's NPCs are just made in such an off-putting style.
Tokage
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 am

I started with morrowind, hated oblivion, (hated the quests) hated skyrim,

but morrowind is awesome, and I also highly suggest the morrowind overhaul, improves morrowind graphically, and fixes a lot of issues, there is another addon in the works by the same team (while they didn't make the mods themselves, they DO have the complete approval of the respected mod authors) but the second addon they are working on is to enhance morrowind's quests and adding new areas and a great deal more, I think that is still in development

overhaul works for both the steam and gog versions and as long as you got all the expansions if you got the disk version, it doesn't work on other versions,

something else that been developed is morrowind open

https://openmw.org/en/

you still need the main morrowind data files, but this is still be worked on and very early, but they come leaps and bounds since I last looked, so that is something to keep an eye on, and if it turns out great, it should be a more lot more stable and graphically better game

but for the time been, the overhaul package is great, but one warning, it can be a bit of a resource hog, so you do need a fairly beefy system to run it, but it does include some tools that help to make the game a lot more stable and crash a lot less often, highly recommended
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Azashenya » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Ok. Had a taste test of Skyrim last night (oh it is pretty, but very railroad plot). Have purchased Oblivion and plan to play through it before going on with Skyrim .... at least after I finish playing M&M6 and other distractions along the way ;)

Thanks for all the help/replies :)
Aza
Azashenya
Wanderer

PostPosted by Vance » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 pm

My Morrowind game is heavily modded with the Morrowind Overhaul mod, and I also have Morroblivion on my Oblivion setup... but it always crashes. :/

There is also a special team of developers working on a new foundation for Morrowind, making it totally open sourced using the Ogre game engine.
This will give more and better modding possibilities as the previous limitations have been eradicated.

https://openmw.org/en/
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:38 pm

I love Skyrim !! and didn't really follow the plot or main quest. I really enjoyed just exploring. That was one of the big draws of Frontiers for me, was that it was an exploration type of game.

Anyway I hope you enjoy all of your games...
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Azashenya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Have discovered that Skyrim is horribly addictive, so much for my plan to jump back to Oblivion first. Kind of embarrassed by how many hours I've spent on it in last 10 days (lots of fun exploring etc and finding myself already scheming about what characters I want to play second and third times through :P lol)
Aza
Azashenya
Wanderer

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Azashenya wrote:Have discovered that Skyrim is horribly addictive, so much for my plan to jump back to Oblivion first. Kind of embarrassed by how many hours I've spent on it in last 10 days (lots of fun exploring etc and finding myself already scheming about what characters I want to play second and third times through :P lol)
Aza

LOL that's so true I put 450 hours into my first character.

Yes it's hard not to think about what you want to do with other character's while you're playing.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by DavidDyego » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Just to put another similar opinion on the pile in case anyone needs more convincing:

I started with Morrowind. In fact, it was only my second RPG (the first being Chrono Trigger the same year; I came late to RPGs). Morrowind was the first game that made me upgrade my graphics card. Morrowind was, quite simply, the best thing ever. Sucked me right me. I discovered you could read books inside the game and I spent eight hours every single day for a month playing that game and still didn't see everything. I never even knew you could become a vampire.

Then Oblivion came out, and for about a week and a half it was also the best thing ever. But then I realized that there was absolutely no depth to it. I ended up hating Oblivion, and still do. It stands as the game (not just Bethesda, but -any- game) I have to mod the most just to enjoy anything in it. Seriously. Morrowind's graphics can look pretty good with Morrowind Overhaul but even without the game still has that classic "oh these are crap, but quaint" graphics. Oblivion just looks like they forgot that PCs existed and need a 4gb texture mod just to be reasonable, and...and...and... *takes a deep breath* okay rant over.

Skyrim? I enjoy Skyrim. I was able to successfully divorce myself from the need for attributes (although it still bugs me) and I simply was able to enjoy the game for what it is. Beautiful graphics and I only need 6 or 7 mods for it, most of them camping / weather survival. Also if anybody ever releases a mod that removes the stupid worthless being-pulled-into-third-person-every-time-you-do-just-about-anything game "feature," I will personally pay that mod author as much as I paid to buy the game in the first place.
Author, Artist, Game-Maker, Lesser Scoundrel
Dyego's Random Musings
The Frontier Archives
DavidDyego
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:08 pm

The 3rd person thing in Skyrim pissed me the hell off. My thoughts were "The only time a game should go into 3rd person is when my character dies" and maybe not even then. The practical application of this thought being that every time some asshole "Ro-dah"d me, the camera moved to 3rd person, and i ragdolled I'd immediately hit escape and load my most recent save. (I hate the idea that games might be recording my number of deaths somehow.)

Come to find out, after many many hours of re-playing these dungeons, in my laziness and frustration/mouse hurling (sucks that i have a nice mouse now, mouse hurling is no longer economically viable) i left the game playing and face-palmed only to find when i un-palmed my face and retrieved my mouse that my character had gotten back up.

Synopsis: Fuck Skyrim and 3rd person. Fun game, though.
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 pm

antihuman09 wrote:The 3rd person thing in Skyrim pissed me the hell off. My thoughts were "The only time a game should go into 3rd person is when my character dies" and maybe not even then. The practical application of this thought being that every time some asshole "Ro-dah"d me, the camera moved to 3rd person, and i ragdolled I'd immediately hit escape and load my most recent save. (I hate the idea that games might be recording my number of deaths somehow.)

Come to find out, after many many hours of re-playing these dungeons, in my laziness and frustration/mouse hurling (sucks that i have a nice mouse now, mouse hurling is no longer economically viable) i left the game playing and face-palmed only to find when i un-palmed my face and retrieved my mouse that my character had gotten back up.

Synopsis: Fuck Skyrim and 3rd person. Fun game, though.

Oh my goodness, that roh-dahing ragdoll business was such a pain! Glad it wasn't just me who found that irritating! :D
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by samos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:48 pm

why do I feel like people want to like old game more the new ones. :monkey:

skyrim had a dynamic story, great graphic, great combat and overall good game.
samos
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Matt.3 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 pm

samos wrote:why do I feel like people want to like old game more the new ones. :monkey:

skyrim had a dynamic story, great graphic, great combat and overall good game.

I wouldn't say that we "want" to like the old games more, it's just that the old Elder Scrolls games and the new ones are basically for two different groups of people. If you want a streamlined, mostly smooth visual experience, then go for Skyrim. If you want an emphasis on roleplaying and a unique setting, you'd be better off with Morrowind.

Unfortunately, Bethesda has made us choose one set of priorities over the other, since they didn't give us a game that satisfies both at once.
Matt.3
Bard
Bard

Return to The Elder Scrolls