Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight KS

From Solitaire to GTA

Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight KS

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 am

I recently backed this game. It looks incredible !!

Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight is a single player, open world, role playing adventure game that combines the visual appeal of modern graphics and animation technologies with the classic role-playing elements.

The game has a lot of things we wanted in Skyrim but didn't get.

Player Driven Gameplay - This is so great, Player driven NOT Quest driven : )
Player Created Journal Option - Can't wait for this one... Skyrim didn't even have a mod for this.
Open World Map with Few Load Screens - Go any where & without all the load screens
Unique Explorable Landscapes like Skyrim's but better & even more amazing
Six Playable Races with Rich Histories (Unlock More by Supporting Us on Kickstarter) Hoping the Wolf Race makes it into the game.
Unique Alternate Starts - Built in no need for a mod. And Finally for console players : )
Evolving Storylines and Game Map that Respond to Your Choices - your choices Matter and things change to adjust to them
Crafting and Trading - More in-depth and better crafting !! will be happy to try the trading out too
Character Tailored Questlines - no more forced quests to kill or steal if not part of your characther
Customized Companions and Mounts - Smart & Useable companions and you start off with mounts too : )
Dungeon Diving & Rewards - new and different dungeons
Unique Weaponry with Race Bonuses - will be interesting to see these
Optional Survival Needs (Eating, Sleeping, etc) - no need for a mod now or finally again for console players : ))
Role-playing Immersion Focus - great thing to be focused on, immersion makes a game even more special

Let's get behind a game we have all asked for and said we wanted !!!

Done by great modders who we know do incredible work.

Visit there Kickstarter here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/594743529/unwritten-echoes-of-twilight let's get this game funded & made so we can all enjoy the fantastic experience we are sure to have.

Visit Druid Gameworks website for some Great Concept & Development Art... http://www.druidgameworks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/265-unwritten-echoes-of-twilight-update/

I hope you'll take some time & take a look at the amazing game.

If you love Frontiers then you should love Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight too.

:potatofly:
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

nvm

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:49 am

posted to the wrong forum... and maybe shouldn't have been posted at all !!! :(
Last edited by TrackerTaz on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight KS

PostPosted by postnjam » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:37 am

OMG Elder scrolls RIPOFF lol jk

Seriously though, sounds good. Kind of like a half brother to frontiers except this one takes a bit more after elder scrolls with more RPG mechanics. Prefer the idea of frontiers though because I don't like games where I have to level up before going somewhere. JRPGs are excluded because they are more linear. This might not be a problem in this game, but I don't want to take a chance, maybe I'll pledge towards it nearer the time.
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by yarnevk » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Their Skyrim 'should have' dreams are larger than their budget, when it should give them pause that Skyrim did not do much of this because of time and money budget, leaving it to modders who they knew would spendy crazy free time adding the extras.

I supported Frontiers because Lars was realistic that his dreams will never fit any budget and has FX experience of when something needs scaled back to get done on time on budget. If you want to make a game, start with the free version of Unity, you do not need $150K in commercial game engine licenses, and when you do that covers 100 licenses of Unity, which already has tree generation, linear dynamic and baked lighting, and a huge library of codes and arts for nominal fees to other indy developers. Indies are not AAA developers but Unity was good enough for Richard Garriot SoTA, since it meant more of the budget spent on creative talent rather than licenses.

I only fund games that are willing to make realistic budget sacrifices. Kickstarter is not meant for funding startups, it is meant for getting funds to contract the art and music of games already in development, and not for spending sprees on large teams and AAA licenses.

If the RPG is any good it does not need AAA engines to succeed. At 100K and more realistic budget and feature list moved to 300K stretch goals, I would have actually supported it.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:49 pm

sorry once again it posted it to the wrong forum...

Guess I should just give up trying to post..
Last edited by TrackerTaz on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by col03004 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:47 pm

yarnevk wrote:If the RPG is any good it does not need AAA engines to succeed. At 100K and more realistic budget and feature list moved to 300K stretch goals, I would have actually supported it.

I think I am with yarnevk on this one. They have a really good idea but for an indie game trying to get off the ground with a Kickstarter $500,000 is a pretty steep hill to climb. I would be really surprised if this thing even makes it close to being funded. Lar's had a campaign that exploded and he still only made $150,000 off kickstarter. The issue is getting the traction needed to raise that kind of cash through crowdfunding. Crowdfunding doesn't really lend itself to early stage development where there is no working prototype to show and where you need a huge budget to complete what you want to.

I would not support this project for this reason: Even if they did meet the huge goal they have I would constantly worry about them going over budget, over time, and in the end not being able to deliver on the promises they have laid out. Maybe they will prove me wrong but it seems like they are tackling a gargantuan task and the risks are very high with the stage of development they appear to be at.
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
col03004
Wanderer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Reading their website they came up with that number as the average of kickstarted games. What they failed to realize is that includes million dollar kickstarters from long established AAA game designers going back to the well of their greatest hits that no publisher wants to fund anymore. Yet they figured that half mil pays for a dozen staff and license so they asked for it.

It is a bit like real estate agents telling you average pricing is at $500K list then when your house does not sell because that included the McMansions they tell you the median pricing was actually $250K not counting foreclosures you compete with at $180K.... :o

RPG Frontiers is actually a very successful KS for an indy game and more typical of the best that can be done with a small contracted team, yet it has a very limited niche scope of exploration & survival.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by col03004 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:13 pm

So I just looked at the breakout of their budget... That scares me too. They have a total budget for estimated expenses of $493,000 with a contingency of $7,000. I deal with budgets a lot in my work and a standard contingency is 3%. The $7,000 they have set aside represents less than half of what a standard contingency should be. When games start to go over budget they can go over budget in a big way. It just makes me nervous. Delays in production mean all those salaries start to go over budget and that adds up very fast. The other issue you run into is if you get into delays and run into multiple years then you have to pay the fees for licensing again with no revenue stream. I would be much more comfortable with their budgeting if they had a very conservative approach with closer to a 6-8% contingency. I can just see a perfect storm of financial collapse for an untested studio trying to do a very ambitious project from the ground up right out of the gate.

On the very bottom of their own kickstarter page they even acknowledge that they are taking a huge risk at this point.
Obviously the best case scenario would be success. It would allow us to purchase our licenses and access software early in development, hire industry experienced staff to round out our team, empower us to not only achieve our vision, but make our game the best and fullest it can be. That said, we know we are under dogs; an unproven studio, minimal industry experience, and the game is early in development. We're asking you to toss your lot in on a veritable long shot, and we can appreciate the concerns this can raise for potential backers.

This game is our dream and we're tossing our lot in too, so if Kickstarter fails, we are committed to continuing development using personal funds and private investors to keep the project afloat and moving forward in the short term. There's no way to finish our game in its entirety without additional funding so after further development, we would reattempt raising a project budget with a new Kickstarter campaign. We'll need your help to reach the end goal and we'll keep working until we earn your trust.

It just all adds up to make me very nervous to lend my money to the project. I work too hard to risk it on something like this. If they manage to pull it off then I will probably buy the game but it seems too risky for me at this point.
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
col03004
Wanderer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:12 pm

They're going through most of the motions of a decent KS campaign, but I'm not getting the fire that was behind something like Frontiers or Malevolence. And there are two big huge major areas where they're falling down:

1. No gameplay footage whatsoever. They clearly have nothing but concept art, and are even stooping to using tech videos from Havok as a pathetic marketing attempt. There's not even any basic 3d art, which should be at the fucking forefront of any campaign -- all I managed to find on their KS page is one animation prototype for one thing, and it's at the very bottom of the list of videos. Even their website has no more than a few screenshots. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If that is the state of their art department then they launched this way too early.
2. They're asking for way too much money. For an unproven indie dev, $160,000 is an _amazing_ result. For anything more, you need an established track record, with very few exceptions. That goes double for a huge 3d extravaganza which looks like you've bitten off way more than you can chew.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by viralata » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, it seems they have just started a new kickstarter.

And also they're showing a bit more than concept art this time.
viralata
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 pm

link plz, want to see if they are more budget realistic this time.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by viralata » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:32 pm

viralata
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 am

Yes they dropped support for Mac & Linux until after the release of the game. They have in-game video footage.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by yarnevk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Still see the 'buy us AAA licenses so we can be an AAA studio and hire experienced people' aspirations, now with much less content at half the price". This has me passing because I do not pay for AAA concepts nor am I a VC funding startups, just want to prepay for game dev that I am confident will actually be out next year.

Look at Embers of Cearus http://www.embersofcaerus.com/content.php who had even worse aspirations of being a persistent one world MMO, which is even harder to do than SP, years later they finally realized they cannot afford to renew HAVOK and are now doing Unity demo scenes. Those guys used to be in a guild in a game that I also played, and I agreed with all of their concepts of how such games should be, many of which came from posts of them trying to get an indy dev to fix their broken game. But It is not about what their concepts are, it is what are they gonna do when the funding runs out next year and they have no game and no way to make money to pay for licenses except a third try at kickstarter. The harsh reality of indy dev is the game engine devs gotta get paid first or you are done.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by viralata » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:16 pm

What about this? Gopher is going to participate in the game as a voice actor!

http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=Dc1gDQcdARY
viralata
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by HammelGammel » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:56 pm

It's still too much. I highly doubt they will make it this time. They founded only 50k in the last kickstarter-campaign, and yet they try to get 280k in the current one... Even with the little gameplay they've uploaded that can't work. At best they can reach 100k in my honest opinion.

Looks promising though. But I won't pledge for a campaign that I'm sure will not be successful.
HammelGammel
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by tejón » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:48 am

First post is a deep necro? Totally legit.

Actually, this thread reminded me to check in on the Druid folks since the last I chatted with any of them was just before their second Kickstarter. Looks like they've put the open-world game on hold and shifted to a much smaller prequel project, in the same world but set on a conveniently isolated island and featuring only one race (but apparently with subraces). Not a bad game plan, really.

The main reason I decided to pipe up here is that, while I agree their initial goal (particularly the Kickstarter expectations) seemed to make some naive assumptions, I actually know most of these guys from previous work. All of them were high-profile members of the core Oblivion modding community. The project lead, DarkRider, released the "expansion mod" Reclaiming Sancre Tor, which was big enough to warrant its own wiki. I never actually played it, so I can't comment on quality, but shipping something of that magnitude is a pretty solid feat in the first place. Another core member, Arthmoor, was the primary maintainer of all the Unofficial Patches for Oblivion, Skyrim, and their expansions for several years.

Point being, on the content side, these guys really did know exactly what they were getting into. Less so at the engine level and apparently not at all with crowdfunding, but they're not just another group of big-dream kids. They've all got track records of suffering through extended development for free, so I wouldn't write them off.

...and anti-spam says I can't put links in my first post. Eh, fair enough; underlined stuff above will be repeated in a follow-up for linkage.
Last edited by tejón on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by tejón » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:49 am

tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:36 am

They may have modding experience, but I can tell you from my own experience as an ex-modder and a game dev, the two are very different animals, and good modders don't always make good devs. They clearly don't have a clue about how to actually engage people. The frequency of their updates, the content of their updates (which appear to talk mainly about themselves and not the game they're promising), and the general snore-fest that is their idea.

My #1 rule for any creative endeavour, and one that I always tell to anyone when they ask for advice, is: Give the audience something they haven't seen before. It doesn't need to be a huge game-changing thing, but you need one small bit of freshness in there to set you apart. This mess has none of that. Not even a spark of original thought. They are very, VERY obviously making another Elder Scrolls rip-off, which is a market that's pretty well saturated by now, and people simply aren't buying it.

Want to know the secret why people are buying into these old-game remakes on KS? It's because we haven't seen anything like those old games for a decade or more. Give it a sweet graphics and UI update and bam! They're bringing something to the public that most of them are too young to have ever experienced, and would probably refuse to try out in its original form because they've been spoon-fed so much 3d graffix and bloom that they can't live without it. The retro game craze is not simply nostalgia for what we were playing then. It's nostalgia for a time when we were actually seeing new ideas in games, new settings and new experiences, and the games didn't have constantly incrementing numbers on the end.

In conclusion, ripping off a AAA game is a bit like doing a Rory Bremner impression. They're already doing plenty of that themselves.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Still clinging to the notion that without the expensive Havok engine they cannot make their game...shifting focus to the Havok for phablet market.... Baldurs Gate on phone works because it is an overhead map texture and sprite based characters from the 90's, but people play that because it is that old skool hardcore D&D play that no AAA studio makes anymore (except for the $4m kickstarted Pillars of Eternity). Are they willing to drop their AAA gfx aspirations and focus on gameplay, and also realize the attention span in that market demands gameplay sessions of minutes not hours and certainly not days? That Skyrim also sells for $5 now? Even if they want to stick with AAA PC, many of the engines are now offering low front end indy licenses at the cost of back end royalties since they could not compete on price with Unity, but I guess they dropped the idea they had to switch to Unreal4? But what do I know since they have cartoon pandas now, worked for WOW right?
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by tejón » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. All I'm saying is that they'll probably ship, not that it will be worth playing. :)
tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by postnjam » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Wow, bit of a downgrade. A full pc open world game to a ios game.

Also pandas.
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:17 pm

The pandas are the cherry on the cake of desperately transparent moves. They could have used any other kind of animal that hasn't already been seen in a game, but no, they had to do one that was in a recent WoW expansion. Pathetic.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by tejón » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:07 am

Uh-oh, I'd better not find any asian themes in Frontier. Or humans, WoW has those too. While we're at it stay clear of llamas; Winamp was in the news last month and I recently re-watched The Emperor's New Groove.

Seriously, there's a LOT to pick on in Unwritten, and no reason at all to give Blizzard an implicit trademark on pandas, especially when apparently Druid decided to change it up by making them Navajo (and see, that's a desperately transparent attempt to avoid the Pandaren / Jack Black comparisons). They picked a bear theme, there are only a handful of visually distinct bears: pandas are inevitable, current fads have nothing to do with it. You can do better!
tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:24 am

I don't believe Asian themes and humans are the main object of any other most profitable games of all time, are they? I'm not trying to be sarcastic -- my point is that it's an obvious comparison pitfall that they could have avoided by, say, making a bear type that's new and perhaps even not found on earth. It is supposed to be a fantasy game, right?

That's been it all along. They're just not showing any original thought, which is part of the reason why their game is failing to attract attention while a game like Frontiers is actually capturing people. Call it the 'seen it before' effect.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by tejón » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:39 am

No argument on that point... they're definitely clinging hard to bland comfort.
tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Besides pandas are old news, the new thing to ripoff is billy goats....and I do not even have to search for it you know someone somewhere is making a zombie goats game.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:32 pm

I look at Unwritten in the same way I look at a lot of low-budget by-the-book horror movies. A by-the-book horror movie's job is to check off items on a list. Young cast, stupid characters, scary-looking villain, some good gore effects, a fun conclusion. That's all they aspire to and if you check off those items then it's a success by its own standards.

A lot of people equate this kind of thing with soullessness or creative bankruptcy but I don't see it that way at all. It's like a carpentry shop that really likes making one kind of cabinet and they just make one right after another. These cabinets aren't flashy, they're not daring or new, but they're sturdy as hell and everyone involved can take pride in that fact. Not every piece of furniture has to stir your soul or whatever, sometimes it can just be sturdy and do its job well.

I get a strong 'C'mon team, let's assemble a game' vibe from the whole project. I can practically see the marks getting checked off. Asian pandas, check. I have no idea if that attitude will translate into a finished game or something I'd want to play, but I respect it more than an overblown 'We're here to REVOLUTIONIZE the entire genre with blah blah blah' attitude.

This whole post sounds condescending as fuck towards the Unwritten devs but whatever. I really do respect low-budget horror directors as much as any art-oriented director even if it's for different reasons. And if these guys pull it off I'll give them props even if it's a by-the-book result.

Also I saw that the devs are ditching the Havok engine and going with Unreal 4. That makes me way less nervous about their chances.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Railboy wrote:I look at Unwritten in the same way I look at a lot of low-budget by-the-book horror movies. A by-the-book horror movie's job is to check off items on a list. Young cast, stupid characters, scary-looking villain, some good gore effects, a fun conclusion. That's all they aspire to and if you check off those items then it's a success by its own standards.

A lot of people equate this kind of thing with soullessness or creative bankruptcy but I don't see it that way at all. It's like a carpentry shop that really likes making one kind of cabinet and they just make one right after another. These cabinets aren't flashy, they're not daring or new, but they're sturdy as hell and everyone involved can take pride in that fact. Not every piece of furniture has to stir your soul or whatever, sometimes it can just be sturdy and do its job well.

I get a strong 'C'mon team, let's assemble a game' vibe from the whole project. I can practically see the marks getting checked off. Asian pandas, check. I have no idea if that attitude will translate into a finished game or something I'd want to play, but I respect it more than an overblown 'We're here to REVOLUTIONIZE the entire genre with blah blah blah' attitude.

This whole post sounds condescending as fuck towards the Unwritten devs but whatever. I really do respect low-budget horror directors as much as any art-oriented director even if it's for different reasons. And if these guys pull it off I'll give them props even if it's a by-the-book result.

Also I saw that the devs are ditching the Havok engine and going with Unreal 4. That makes me way less nervous about their chances.

There's a place for those kinds of developers, absolutely, but from the get-go they haven't been asking for a box-ticker budget. They wanted $500k for their first KS and $280k for their second. A game that's by the numbers and nothing more is not going to underwrite that kind of money in the indie market, where there _are_ revolutionary (or at least evolutionary) projects coming out all the time, and most of them don't come with huge egos attached.

Like I've said above, we've got the AAAs to tick boxes and they've got their own money to waste. Crowdfunding is not the way to go for something as safe as a lump of cotton in a bank vault.
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Hmm, is it possible that you give FRONTIERS more credit than I would for being original? On the whole I consider it a pretty derivative riff on an established tune.

I wonder if part of that might be due to you being immersed in the story, which is pretty weird / unique by modern game standards, while I'm immersed in the gameplay, which is composed of elements we've mostly seen before. (Just in a new combination.)

I bring this up because where you feel comfortable saying KS isn't really appropriate for Unwritten, I see that same argument taking a bite out of FRONTIERS' place on KS. A small bite maybe, but enough to make me feel vaguely hypocritical.

I'd feel differently if their team was bigger, like a AAA team. Not that the project would ever happen under those circumstances. But if two near-identical Unwritten-style games were made, one by an indie team of 20 and another by a AAA team of 150, I'd give the 20-team game a chance sooner than the 150-team game, just like I'd prefer a nice cabinet made by a few people vs. an identical cabinet assembled by a factory. You can make the argument that it shouldn't matter where content comes from, but in cases where I do know it has an effect on my opinion whether it should or not.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Railboy wrote:Hmm, is it possible that you give FRONTIERS more credit than I would for being original? On the whole I consider it a pretty derivative riff on an established tune.

I wonder if part of that might be due to you being immersed in the story, which is pretty weird / unique by modern game standards, while I'm immersed in the gameplay, which is composed of elements we've mostly seen before. (Just in a new combination.)

I bring this up because where you feel comfortable saying KS isn't really appropriate for Unwritten, I see that same argument taking a bite out of FRONTIERS' place on KS. A small bite maybe, but enough to make me feel vaguely hypocritical.

I'd feel differently if their team was bigger, like a AAA team. Not that the project would ever happen under those circumstances. But if two near-identical Unwritten-style games were made, one by an indie team of 20 and another by a AAA team of 150, I'd give the 20-team game a chance sooner than the 150-team game, just like I'd prefer a nice cabinet made by a few people vs. an identical cabinet assembled by a factory. You can make the argument that it shouldn't matter where content comes from, but in cases where I do know it has an effect on my opinion whether it should or not.

Mate, why do you think I wanted to sign on for this project in the first place? I felt this way from the day I first heard about Frontiers. I knew this game had potential due to its stated goals. The various elements may have been seen before, but not all together, because there's no title out there that promises relatively relaxed, survival-based exploration. If there were, the KS wouldn't have been such a success. You don't have to make revolutions out of whole cloth. You just need one touch, one point of difference from every other commercial product out there, one thing where people read it and go, "Huh, that's new." Even if it's just an arrangement of known elements that haven't been seen together before. That is one of the big rules in writing, the number one way you can get out from under the 'nothing new under the sun' clause.

I'm a game designer as well as a writer, and I can tell you, Frontiers has that thing. More than most. That's why it's gonna be big.

In closing, let me just ask this: Have you ever looked at or heard about something, call it Thing X, that's exactly like Thing Y and said, "Why would I bother when I can just play/have already played Thing Y?"
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Sounds like someone is in a deep developer funk and needs to go outside for a relaxing hike and realize that is why they made the game in the first place. Then come back in and try to do the same thing in Elder Scrolls.

Every other exploration survival game out there right now has you dying on spawn to naked dicks carrying AK47s and all of them support the necrophilic sociapaths fav emote, teabagging a corpse. Nobody dared to implement the Wil rule of 'Don't be a Dick'

These guys if they want to get in the game biz they first need to go to a publisher and do some contract game development, something like PSP Twinkle Sparkle Ponies to prove to a publisher they can actually finish a game before the suits allow them to start a new AAA franchise that is a clone of DragonAge/ElderScrolls. Ryan was not saying it does not have a market, he was saying it is not the kickstarter market, because indy wants what you can't get in AAA.

A good friend of mine writes game books for major AAA blockbusters we all have played. But his back catalog is full of sparkle pony game books because that is what you have to do. Totally ruined the idea of getting into the game industry when he showed me that shelf.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by tejón » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:11 pm

yarnevk wrote:indy wants what you can't get in AAA.

Heh... I posted a two-page reddit rant culminating in almost exactly those words, as a follow-up to Railboy's equally long "why user requests are not a high priority" rant. And yeah... now that I think about it, that pretty much sums up the issues with Unwritten.
tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by yarnevk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:36 pm

link your rant please for those of us who want others to curate the cesspool that reddit is....not about to dig thru that pile of sinkers and floaters myself!

Maybe a more astute observation (to requote myself) 'indy wants what AAA does not get'
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by tejón » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Sure -- here it is, in thread context (initial comment, Railboy's rant, my rant-extension).
tejón
Novice
Novice

Next

Return to Other Games