Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight KS

From Solitaire to GTA

Re: Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight KS

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:21 pm

yarnevk wrote:Sounds like someone is in a deep developer funk and needs to go outside for a relaxing hike and realize that is why they made the game in the first place.

Is this referring to me?? On the contrary I'm feeling better about the game than I have for ages. It's really coming together.

I may not think it's the most original game ever (though I'm pleased to hear Ryan puts it farther on that continuum than I do, and I'll concede that he may have the more objective perspective). But that doesn't mean I don't think it's a metric ton of fun. DIdn't mean to give the wrong impression.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Railboy wrote:
yarnevk wrote:Sounds like someone is in a deep developer funk and needs to go outside for a relaxing hike and realize that is why they made the game in the first place.

Is this referring to me?? On the contrary I'm feeling better about the game than I have for ages. It's really coming together.

I may not think it's the most original game ever (though I'm pleased to hear Ryan puts it farther on that continuum than I do, and I'll concede that he may have the more objective perspective). But that doesn't mean I don't think it's a metric ton of fun. DIdn't mean to give the wrong impression.

I'm pretty sure that was aimed at the Unwritten lads, not you/us. At least that's what I'm reading into it.
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:59 pm

I was referring to Lars, he was unable to articulate what makes his RPG different and why we all funded it.

I seem to recall he said somewhere he wanted to capture the feeling of hiking without a bear ripping off your face every step, just knowing the bear is out there is all you need. (it may have been a wolf but since we are all about the bears in this thread let us call it a bear) That is why we all funded it because no AAA is willing to do RPG anymore that changes the focus away from arcade hack and slash combat.

It is what makes this game different and viable in an indy market. The same indy market that makes a Malevolence game possible, but done the old school D&D inspired classic CRPG way so that you have to think, if you just hack and slash you are going to die. In some strange way both games are inspired by Daggerfall but certainly are not Elder Scrolls clones.

Whereas the only thing I can articulate that makes Twilight different is they have humanoid bears instead of humanoid cats, and now they have pandas that are different than WOW because they are Native American?. Sorry, as much as I might respect those guys ES mods, that does not open my wallet.

Which is why I said Lars needs to take an actual hike, because then he can better articulate why he is writing the game which is intended to take you on a hike. Get it?
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:41 am

Got it.

Well on a whim I decided to take your advice and I took a walk in the greenbelt near my house. I crossed paths with a deer that scared the bejeezus out of me. That's pretty close to a bear. So I'd say mission accomplished.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by RyanASpan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 am

I stand corrected!

Railboy wrote:Got it.

Well on a whim I decided to take your advice and I took a walk in the greenbelt near my house. I crossed paths with a deer that scared the bejeezus out of me. That's pretty close to a bear. So I'd say mission accomplished.

Hey, deer can be nasty fuckers. Ever see the video of one trampling a dog? Not pleasant...
http://streetofeyes.com -- Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
RyanASpan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by yarnevk » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:20 pm

I live above a hollow that has deer, I live in the woods will past a national preserve. My porch is covered with their cracked bones from my dog getting into their carcass. He is one of these....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_ ... houlas.jpg, supposedly crossbreed of wolf and spanish war dog. Needless to say if I go hiking around here I bring my dog, but keep him on a leash. Just this past month my garbage can has been dumped by the local bear....or maybe it was a sasquatch, lots of hillbillys say they saw one in the woods but could have been too much moonshine after they got done hunting.

Glad the deer made my point. In most video games deer are a trash mob, a passive herd waiting for you to slaughter them by the dozen for you to gain XP and crafting mats so you can armor up and clear out the bear dens one handed so you can get XP to go do the trolls.
yarnevk
Pathmaker

PostPosted by postnjam » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Reading these comments makes me feel sad I don't live anywhere interesting, the UK countryside is boring. Except the lake and peak district.
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by tejón » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:24 am

RyanASpan wrote:Hey, deer can be nasty fuckers. Ever see the video of one trampling a dog? Not pleasant...

Haven't seen that one, but had a cat almost suffer the same fate. Cat wanted to make friends. Deer started stomping the ground. Of course this would be the ONE time that incredibly skittish cat would fail to run away from something. Without intervention it probably would have ended poorly.

Anyway, here's one of a deer eating a bird.
tejón
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by viralata » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Thought I'd share with you that it seems those guys from Druid Gameworks are trying their luck on Kickstarter again.

They've changed the name from Unwritten to Witanlore. I'd say they might have learned a lesson from their previous run.
viralata
Novice
Novice

Previous

Return to Other Games