Frontiers' own skooma

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Frontiers' own skooma

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix, which got me thinking to drugs; Will Frontiers have it's own illicit drug trade akin to Skyrim's skooma?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: Frontiers' own skooma

PostPosted by Starfia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 am

All I've heard from Lars is that there's only one instance of a drug which, when ingested, causes you to hallucinate something that looks like a bunny in a top hat for 30 seconds. Each time you see it, you can progress further through an elaborate conversational maze in an effort to better yourself.

Right, Lars? You told me that, right?!!

TELL THE NICE PEOPLE YOU TOLD ME THAT

This is what Morally Challenged was actually for, Lars. I'm telling you this now.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by gad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:51 pm

@marv, I think it would be awesome. Especially the manufacturing aspect of it. You could setup a processing routine while you went and did a "quest" and came back to all your barley grown... or all your meth slurry ready in a hurry!

LoL, sounds like a little Fear and Loathing going on Starfia. Are these substances an actual possibility?

If they could exist I doubt manufacturing/trade would exist, in a big way, without that NPC thing. I am also curious if long-term use could yield dependency or psychosis. It would affect how much water/food/warmth you need. As well as your accuracy in completing tasks. IF none of this is possible, I could see a 1-INT Fallout tribute being entertaining :)
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:11 pm

I just find it interesting that people want a drug or are willing to accept a drug in the game, BUT nudity is too bad to have in the game. :dunno:

Makes me wonder....
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 pm

TrackerTaz wrote:I just find it interesting that people want a drug or are willing to accept a drug in the game, BUT nudity is too bad to have in the game. :dunno:

Makes me wonder....

The effects of drugs are easy to simulate with shader effects & debuffs, but nudity in games relies on laughably unrealistic "jiggle physics".
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:
TrackerTaz wrote:I just find it interesting that people want a drug or are willing to accept a drug in the game, BUT nudity is too bad to have in the game. :dunno:

Makes me wonder....

The effects of drugs are easy to simulate with shader effects & debuffs, but nudity in games relies on laughably unrealistic "jiggle physics".

I was thinking more along the lines of what we chose to accept as opposed to how easy it is to make that choice happen.

I'm sure the people who want or accept drugs in a game don't do it because it is easy to produce within the game. As well as the ones who don't like nudity just because it's harder to produce in the game.

The comment was just an observation about what we chose to accept & interact with. It just struck me as odd that people are so much more willing to accept drug use as opposed to seeing a female topless or nude. Just thought it said something about us as a people...
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:20 pm

TrackerTaz wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:

Makes me wonder....

I was thinking more along the lines of what we chose to accept as opposed to how easy it is to make that choice happen.

I'm sure the people who want or accept drugs in a game don't do it because it is easy to produce within the game. As well as the ones who don't like nudity just because it's harder to produce in the game.

The comment was just an observation about what we chose to accept & interact with. It just struck me as odd that people are so much more willing to accept drug use as opposed to seeing a female topless or nude. Just thought it said something about us as a people...

I have quite often dealt with the absurdity of the "ZOMG NIPPLES" brigade and I do find the social views on nudity & drug use odd, too. In this context however, the issues are mutually exclusive and I felt a flippant remark on the technological aspects of implementing either issue was easier than engaging in an off-topic discussion (feel free to make a thread in The Rabbit Hole where I'll happily engage in such a discussion).
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Lars » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:03 am

Makes me wonder....

Who said nudity was to bad to have in the game? I did a few forum searches and didn't find anyone even mentioning nudity except for this thread... So I find it implausible that people who wants a drug in the game also think nudity is to 'bad' to be in the game.
Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by shmoogin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:58 pm

+1, please.
Skyrim was lacking hallucinogens like hell and I was utterly disappointed. Some of my best moments throughout my Elder Scrolls life have been spent consuming upwards of 10 bottles of skooma and running at light speed around Oblivion, ultimately to crash and have my body ragdolled around.

If this game has drugs, it would be the shit. I would love to maybe find a mushroom around the woods that distorts my colors and FOV for a little while, just for that hilarious effect. If running at superspeed with something like skooma is a bit too drastic, maybe a downer drug that will slow the character down for 2 minutes or so would be adequate.

If anyone remembers Shady Sam the skooma dealer from Oblivion (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Shady_Sam), I'd love to see something like that too, Maybe not a full-fledged illegal drug trade, just the odd drug dealer here and there wandering around the alleyways or outskirts of towns. Maybe just a little cartel camp in the middle of nowhere that sells a skooma-like substance and will try to kill you if you get too close to it.

I don't know, I'm just pulling ideas out of my ass. I want this game to be everything I love about RPGs, and the occasional drug here and there just makes it that much better.

EDIT: For proof of drugs in other games, here's a Daggerfall mission pertaining to delivering drugs: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Drugs_Delivery

And a list of narcotics available for consumption throughout the series: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Narcotics
shmoogin
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by HammelGammel » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Nothing is mroe fun than drinking 50 beer in Fable: The lost chapters :D

A skooma-equivalent could achieve something similar to that. Especially when it's integrated in (a) sidequest(s), it could be pretty cool. ^^
HammelGammel
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Lars wrote:

Makes me wonder....

Who said nudity was to bad to have in the game? I did a few forum searches and didn't find anyone even mentioning nudity except for this thread... So I find it implausible that people who wants a drug in the game also think nudity is to 'bad' to be in the game.

It came up several times in the Serious Business threads. But they are Backers Only threads.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by FigmentEra » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:25 am

shmoogin wrote:+1, please.
Skyrim was lacking hallucinogens like hell and I was utterly disappointed.

What are you talking about? Every time you downed Sleeping Tree Sap, your screen went all trippy. I thought that was great.

(The lack of noticable effects from Skooma and the like was disappointing, I'll give you that.)
FigmentEra
Wanderer

Return to Creative Asylum