Alpha Access (Pledge Requirement)

All about getting the game, where, and how.

Alpha Access (Pledge Requirement)

PostPosted by light487 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 am

Hi,

I did do a search for Alpha but it said that it is too common a word.. I tried Alpha Access and couldn't find anything.. I did a manual search through various forums but couldn't find anything.. so I apologise if this has been asked before but I couldn't find where.

I am trying to determine at what pledge level the alpha access to the game is given? I am Apprentice level backer, so of course I am being allowed to participate in the Beta but I can't find anything that talks about what pledge level was required to be allowed access to the Alpha, which according to the most recent update will be sometime in late September.

I even checked on the Backerkit website to see if it was an add-on that needed to be added.. but not there either.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.
light487
Spyglass Polisher

Re: Alpha Access (Pledge Requirement)

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:01 am

(Moved this to KS Questions and Support)

Alpha access kicks in at the Apprentice level: APPRENTICE ● Get everything in the Novice reward PLUS a digital download of the soundtrack and access to the limited beta when it's released!

The Apprentice description was written before I knew we'd be splitting things into alpha / beta, and KS doesn't allow me to edit that text, so the alpha was never explicitly mentioned in any of the reward descriptions. (Hence the understandable confusion.)

[edit: changed this to apprentice]
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Lgrenter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 am

I backed the journeyman level on kick starter for the beta, didnt realise there was going to be an alpha rolled out too. Is it to late to be added to the list of those interested?
Lgrenter
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by light487 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 am

Are you sure it's Journeyman and not Apprentice?

APPRENTICE ● Get everything in the Novice reward PLUS a digital download of the soundtrack and access to the limited beta when it's released!

Just don't want to get my hopes up if that's the case :)
light487
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by Lgrenter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

Just checked my kick starter pledge, it has me backed at journeyman, I also added extra to it and went for a ring and lion tamer and animal namer (filled in lars questionnaire when it was sent out)
Lgrenter
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Gazz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Lgrenter wrote:I backed the journeyman level on kick starter for the beta, didnt realise there was going to be an alpha rolled out too. Is it to late to be added to the list of those interested?

WHEN there is a call for alpha testers then most likely a topic will be posted in the Beta Testing forum - a place that you have access to at APPRENTICE + pledge level.
You can also see those forums in the Update 36 video. All set up. =)

If I were to guess then the first round(s) of alpha will be invitation only for people with "alpha experience".
Just a handful of testers who make sure that distribution and client work at all. That greatly cuts down on support and the first handful of major boo-boos can be handled with a minimum of fuss.

The beta will come later and is of course open to all at APPRENTICE + level.

Overall it probably wouldn't make a difference if it were an automatic perk of the JOURNEYMAN level - because it would more or less result in the desired turn-out. Just more messy initially. =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 pm

light487 wrote:Are you sure it's Journeyman and not Apprentice?

Sheesh. You are correct, sir. It is Apprentice. (I've updated my original answer.)

PSA: Don't post when you're tired, kids! You might as well be posting drunk!

If I were to guess then the first round(s) of alpha will be invitation only for people with "alpha experience".

There was a survey question in Backerkit that asked everyone of Apprentice-level and above whether they'd be interested in the alpha. If they answered 'YES' to that question I added them to a database, and I'll be randomly drawing names from that pool.

In addition to that random drawing I'll be hand-picking a small set of people with alpha experience and/or the specific hardware that I need to test (eg, the Oculus Rift).
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Gazz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Added to the sticky.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Railboy wrote:
Alpha access kicks in at the Apprentice level

Sir, you have made my day!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by Lgrenter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Looked at my confirmation email for my adding etc when I answered the backer lit email. Oops I left the alpha opt in question as a no so is my fault that im not in the draw for it. In all honesty I did not at the time think that journeyman had alpha access only beta, so I didn't think I could access it anyway. Oh well never mind, will look forward to the beta.
Lgrenter
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by gad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm

@Lars,

I like the random selection of Alpha Participants, nice!
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

Return to Kickstarter / Preorders / Steam / Alpha / Beta Questions & Support