Book review found on BoingBoing

You can find everything down there. Except potatoes.

Book review found on BoingBoing

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:54 pm

The Expeditioners and the Treasure of Drowned Man's Canyon
It's set in a strange, hybridized alternate world where computers arrived on the scene much later than they did in our timeline, and then, inexplicably (and mysteriously) failed, plunging the world into a dark age from which a kind of dictatorial dystopia has emerged.

The new dictatorship is based upon the "New Age of Exploration," a strange golden age in which new, unmapped and unsuspected lands are regularly discovered by explorers who find that the old, computer-generated maps are wrong, omitting vast lands. These lands are ripe with natural resources for plundering, and if the occasional indigenous population gets in the way, well, that's nothing a few jackboots can't take care of.

Kit, MK, and Zander are the children of Alexander West, a storied explorer who is missing and presumed dead. Though they are orphans, they have been left to fend for themselves in the rambling old house in the explorers-only neighborhood where they were raised.

But when Kit receives a mysterious book and it leads him to half a treasure map, the chase is on. The children's father has sent them on a kind of high-stakes scavenger hunt from beyond the grave, and the secret police and the establishment they represent are keely interested in the outcome, which may or may not be a treasure-trove of ancient Spanish gold.

http://boingboing.net/2013/08/20/the-ex ... -trea.html

Amazon UK doesn't have it in stock yet, so I've ordered my copy from Amazon US :P

p.s. note that the cover image has 4 kids exploring together :D
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: Book review found on BoingBoing

PostPosted by Railboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:03 am

Ha! Maybe I should mod FRONTIERS and pitch it as a video game tie in.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Gazz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:29 am

Or sue them for license infringement.
It's the American way, right? =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm

I finally got around to reading the book over the weekend & finished it today; Over-simplification of the plot is that sometime after the apparent death of their father, three children come into the possession of a map (with embedded secrets) that leads them primarily to an *extremely* valuable treasure (in both monetary and cultural terms), but also to another map that points towards further surprises, undoubtedly in a sequel.

Without making any spoilers, the story does exhibit behaviours you'd expect to see in 4-player PUGs- frequent cooperation, occasional leader egotism and a demonstration of the "let's split up" trope where one member is separated from the group.

Overall, an enjoyable read- especially if you're looking forward to playing Frontiers :)
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by postnjam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Somehow, when I get my friends to play with me, I bet our adventures are going to be similar. Except with more death. ALOT more death. Mostly caused by me.
postnjam
Dungeon Crawler

Return to The Rabbit Hole