book-related mod API stuff

Where modders get to tear my game apart when I *finally* release the tools

book-related mod API stuff

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 am

I know how you love these overly-specific questions I ask :D

Will reading a book/scroll/note etc. fire off a single "opened book" event, or will an event be fired on the display of each page?

It bugs me that in skyrim one can attain quest goals merely by opening a book- i.e. without having read the page(s) containing the pertinent information.

In mods, I could foresee such a page-based event being useful for lengthy recipe books/secret quests buried in novels; In the case of a lengthy recipe book it might be more interesting to have a book with 1 recipe per page and individual recipes are only taught upon opening the book, whereas with "secret quests" would only be triggered upon noticing some cryptic message (e.g. "help I'm trapped in a book factory").
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: book-related mod API stuff

PostPosted by DWMagus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:45 am

My only concern with something like this, is that if you're playing through on a second or third playthrough, and you may already know the recipes, why go through such lengths to trigger the event of completion or similar?

It bugs me to no end in games where your 'help' or 'new' tags are constantly showing because you didn't look at every single page.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:34 am

DWMagus wrote:My only concern with something like this, is that if you're playing through on a second or third playthrough, and you may already know the recipes, why go through such lengths to trigger the event of completion or similar?

In the Crafting 101 update, using blueprints puts the recipe in the UI. Assuming you can craft without knowing the recipe, then re-reading content would only serve to add the recipe to the UI.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:41 am

The way it works now is you can flip through the book manually, in which case you learn its contents after you've flipped through every page, or you can read the book for the express purpose of gaining the skill or knowledge, in which case you're presented with a progress bar. In the latter case you don't have to actually read any of the text at all, but it does take a bit of time, and you can't be in combat or anything while it's happening.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Railboy wrote:The way it works now is you can flip through the book manually, in which case you learn its contents after you've flipped through every page...

Does the code track pages read (page count increment?) or merely fire an event on the last page ?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by DWMagus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Railboy wrote:The way it works now is you can flip through the book manually, in which case you learn its contents after you've flipped through every page, or you can read the book for the express purpose of gaining the skill or knowledge, in which case you're presented with a progress bar. In the latter case you don't have to actually read any of the text at all, but it does take a bit of time, and you can't be in combat or anything while it's happening.

Cool. Thanks Lars!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:
Railboy wrote:The way it works now is you can flip through the book manually, in which case you learn its contents after you've flipped through every page...

Does the code track pages read (page count increment?) or merely fire an event on the last page ?

It tracks read pages.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Return to Modding Central