npc pathfinding + jumping over obstacles

Engine, AI, scripting, that sort of thing.

npc pathfinding + jumping over obstacles

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 pm

I've noticed that some (if not all) of the NPCs in Skyrim don't seem to have the ability to jump over obstacles, in some cases taking an absurdly long route to get to a given location.

Can Frontiers NPCs jump over a knee high wall? :P
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: npc pathfinding + jumping over obstacles

PostPosted by gad » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I used to drop all my trash in a HUGE pile outside the door to my house. Characters in Skyrim would get caught up in trash piles lol... maybe if they can't jump over it in Frontiers they can walk walk around it 8-)
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Hopefully with all the extra NPC stretch goals this issue will be addressed (although ironically, I guess if we didn't have the stretch goals, static NPCs wouldn't have this problem to consider in the first place. Obviously, I'm not arguing in favour of static NPCs here, I was really hoping for all the NPC improvement goals to be reached, which they were :D)!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by bjornfeuer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:I've noticed that some (if not all) of the NPCs in Skyrim don't seem to have the ability to jump over obstacles, in some cases taking an absurdly long route to get to a given location.

This seems really common in games where NPCs follow you. I'm surprised they can't just add something in the code to make the NPC jump if they're trying to get somewhere and getting stuck. You might end up with NPCs jumping endlessly while running into a wall, but they also wouldn't get stuck on a log...

Maybe it's more complicated than that though.
I drink the sweat and tears of fan speculation.
bjornfeuer
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:14 pm

bjornfeuer wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:I've noticed that some (if not all) of the NPCs in Skyrim don't seem to have the ability to jump over obstacles, in some cases taking an absurdly long route to get to a given location.

This seems really common in games where NPCs follow you. I'm surprised they can't just add something in the code to make the NPC jump if they're trying to get somewhere and getting stuck. You might end up with NPCs jumping endlessly while running into a wall, but they also wouldn't get stuck on a log...

Some mimicry logic in the AI pathfinding code would be good, i.e. if the AI detects that the followee reached their destination via a shorter route than determined via the navmeshes, attempt to copy followee's actions to follower.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by FuzzySlippers » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:54 pm

bjornfeuer wrote:

My experiments with steering behavior controlled AI jumping (so not setting trigger zones that say "jump here" but doing it reactively) ended up being pretty neutral. Sometimes they jump over environmental objects and look intelligent. I also had certain enemies that would leap over each other while navigating or seeking the player and it looked cool.

Just as often they would get themselves into crazy positions with their jumping. In particular I tried to do calculation on where would they land before they jumped so they could abort a bad jump, but I could never get it working very well so inevitably they would fling themselves off edges or get stuck in some weird part of the level. I also had a few lemmings-like accidents where one enemy after another executed a bad jump and all ended up stuck in a tiny place.

I can't think of a commercial game that has pulled this off without manually specifying jumping trigger zones so it definitely isn't very easy to execute.

btw, is Frontiers using Unity built in pathfinding, A* Pathfinding Project, or rolling your own?
FuzzySlippers
Butterfly Painter

Return to Technical Stuff