What's new in the world of FRONTIERS

SERIOUS BUSINESS Results are IN!

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 am

Here's the Kickstarter update

Final vote:
  1. Seasons
  2. Archaeology
  3. Gigantic Ruined Tower
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

Re: SERIOUS BUSINESS Results are IN!

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 am

Aw shucksination, so close for Dynacamp (relatively!). :monkey:

But we got season, so at least that is good. :thumbs: Had hoped for more hard-to-mod stuff, though. :dunno:
This is a placeholder for something witty and clever that will both amuse and confuse you.
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by anemation » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 am

I'm happy to see my tower squeeze in. I threw my fists in the air like a nerd...
Don't start a fire, you never know how many bridges you'll burn.
anemation
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Unaccounted4 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:27 am

Hey, two of my choices made it in! :mrgreen:
The official hype-man for LinuxGameCast.
@UnaccountedFour or on Google+
Unaccounted4
Pathfinder

PostPosted by Toyan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:11 am

I'm also pleased with the results. Glad archaeology made it in. I've been playing Brave New World (Civ V) and sending my Indiana Jones' out digging up artifacts. Now I can get to do it in Frontiers!

Seasons will add so much immersion, and hopefully someone might mod an equivalent to Skyrim's Frostfall mod. That would be amazing.

And finally a giant tower to go explore? Maybe even move in? Maybe some relics in there? Traps? Puzzles? I'm so excited!!
"Nostalgia is heroin for old people." - Dara O'Briain
Toyan
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Zolana » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Woooo Seasons made it :D!. Didn't vote for the other two, but I'm looking forward to them anyway. Seems a shame there's been some negativity in places on the ks comments, but hey, guess some haters gonna hate!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by Zolana » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Paronomasia wrote:Had hoped for more hard-to-mod stuff, though. :dunno:

Guess it adds to the puzzle of Frontiers (at least for the modders)!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Zolana

PostPosted by DWMagus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm a bit surprised at Archaeology though. I didn't realize that many people wanted it. Not saying that's bad, and I know quite a few people wanted it, just surprised at how many votes it garnered.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by gad » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 pm

I am shocked gardening didn't make it. Wow... hopefully it will be easy to mod (I would love to help!). I was also hoping all choices would of been framework-defining features, at least two were! They will definitely add extreme amounts of depth to the game.

The GRT was so vague in the description I didn't even consider voting for it. I had figured nobody would for that reason. I think a clarification on the purpose/content/etc. of the GRT is in order. I have a feeling it will be more of a Grand Lars Tower (hehehe) than anything like what the individuals who suggested it thought. I also don't see how so many people could interpret the end result being anything similar. The only thing I knew it would allow itself to be visible from any region, which is essentially a free compass. At least getting lost won't be an issue with the GRT :biggrin: :biggrin: :ugeek:
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by Iloru » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm quite happy with the results and, honestly, would've been happy no matter what made it into the game. They were all really great ideas and it was difficult choosing just three of them! I did, however, know that Seasons would make it in simply because it had been previously discussed and determined to be the only one on the list that couldn't be modded after release. I can't wait to see how the game looks once the seasons are added!
Official fan of the butterfly potato.
Iloru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm happy with the results. Didn't vote for Seasons but glad it made it anyway. Didn't get Restore Ruins but hopefully some one can do a mod for that where you need to have certain skills to do the work, collect your needed resources. Come on guys I know we got some smart modders out there. Ok no more begging....

I will be fun and interesting to see how all of this fits into the game.

Thank You to Lars for letting us pick & vote of this; and for a fascinating game that I'm sure Frontiers will be :D
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by metalicdemon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm absolutely thrilled at the results, and although I didn't vote for all of these, they were all in my top 5 :biggrin:

CHEERS LARS!!!
taters gonna tate!
metalicdemon
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by Vance » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Congratulations!

I'm happy that Seasons made it in.

Sad that the character customization is going to be less involved.
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Josiah » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:35 am

gad wrote:The GRT was so vague in the description I didn't even consider voting for it. I had figured nobody would for that reason. I think a clarification on the purpose/content/etc. of the GRT is in order. I have a feeling it will be more of a Grand Lars Tower (hehehe) than anything like what the individuals who suggested it thought. I also don't see how so many people could interpret the end result being anything similar. The only thing I knew it would allow itself to be visible from any region, which is essentially a free compass. At least getting lost won't be an issue with the GRT :biggrin: :biggrin: :ugeek:

Exactly my thoughts as well. I was thinking... "Big tower? As in one that can be modded in later on? Hmm, that doesn't seem that interesting." I feel like we're missing out on some tidbit of information that was given out to those people who voted on it. :?: :shock:

Either way though, it was. And, I'm sure Lars and co. are going to make it amazing!
Josiah
Rock Namer

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 am

I'll C&V this bit from the comments in the update:

I agree that the GRT is weird and potentially game-breaking. In fact the feature was almost vetoed for that exact reason - the first thing I imagined was an oversized Howl's Moving Castle or a giant Rapunzel tower above the clouds. What kind of place does something like that have in the semi-real-world-ish setting of FRONTIERS? It launches us into fantasy land, and that's not where we belong. But then a lightbulb went off and I realized there was a way to make it work. Scratch that, not just WORK - I figured out a way to make it amazing. After that I felt comfortable putting it on the final list. (Though of course I was resigned to not having the chance to implement it, since it seemed like such a long shot!)

I understand the impulse to monitor such a potentially disastrous feature. I know I've kept the details vague. That's not going to change because I want to deliver the game with some surprises intact. (At least until it's released and all the details are added to a fanmade wiki, haha!) From this point forward the GRT will be developed entirely behind closed doors. The only things I'll reveal now are that it will be thoroughly integrated with the game world & lore (an object like that would have a tremendous influence on the world), and that its presence will not upend the real-world-ish setting.

If you're wondering how the hell that's possible - good! Keep wondering. It'll make it that much more satisfying when you find out. :D
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Arithial » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 am

I am happy Seasons made it in. It would have been a great struggle to try and make a Seasons mod for Frontiers :)
The GRT, I never expected people to love it so much, but it seems the world is full of surprises.
We from the Chaos Salute you...
We From The Darkness Accept you...
We From The Light Reject you forever...
Arithial
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by Gazz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:27 am

The GRT is just another location in what I would expect to be an entire world full of interesting (and exploration-worthy) locations.
I just don't see the point. Does it mean that users prefer tower-type locations over ghost village, dungeon, natural cave, or actually unique ones?
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by metalicdemon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:24 am

Im hoping the grt is a cross between dmc3's timenigru and ffxii's pharos :D
taters gonna tate!
metalicdemon
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by DWMagus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Arithial wrote:I am happy Seasons made it in. It would have been a great struggle to try and make a Seasons mod for Frontiers :)
The GRT, I never expected people to love it so much, but it seems the world is full of surprises.

Some of the reasons why people voted for it I suspect is because it also combined a few other requests as well. I wanted the massive dungeon that matthewfarmery originally put forth, and this could also fulfill that role. This can also fulfill a 'boss rush' scenario as well.

Even though it's vague, I feel as though quite a few things that didn't make the list will end up in here, either purposely or accidentally.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm

I wanted to garden!
Bomzulu -- Can you survive?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dyllinaleluia.com
http://blog.dyllinaleluia.com *NOW WORKING*
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:32 pm

DWMagus wrote:
Arithial wrote:I am happy Seasons made it in. It would have been a great struggle to try and make a Seasons mod for Frontiers :)

Some of the reasons why people voted for it I suspect is because it also combined a few other requests as well. I wanted the massive dungeon that matthewfarmery originally put forth, and this could also fulfill that role. This can also fulfill a 'boss rush' scenario as well.

Even though it's vague, I feel as though quite a few things that didn't make the list will end up in here, either purposely or accidentally.

I agree, some voted for it in connection with Restore Ruins so you could explore it and then restore parts if not all of it.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Delphis » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 am

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the fact that according to the suggesstion the GRT will be visible from nearly everywhere. So the feeling of exploring the wildness gets lost a bit. Maybe one could change it that the tower is visible from quite a distance but not from half of the world.
The other thing I really wanted to see in the game is the dynacamp. It would have added some more life to the world. But maybe we get this via version 1.1 of the game or via mods.
Delphis
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by gad » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:36 pm

@DW, After posting about it and reading Lars' responses on GRT. I feel better about it but I still am hesitant on it in general. The perception individuals have of it is very specific, but from what Lars says it shouldn't be anything like that. There is no definite outline though. This becomes confusing. :sorry:

@Lars, Perhaps you can say what the GRT won't be? That way you can still be secretive while explaining how it holds true to the Frontiers universe.

@DW, I personally don't like the idea of a mega dungeon, seems like a huge content sink and very constricting. I have crawled too many mega dungeons as well as played too many dungeon crawler games. This is the type of thing I have read that people view the GRT as. A dungeon crawler/boss rush/puzzler/item collection/rogue-like/etc.. I don't agree with these since this is Frontiers and not Skyrim, Torchlight or Legend of Grimrock (all of which I own and love). Which is a hugeee reason I didn't vote on GRT. It is so vague in that regard. I also pledged to Frontiers because of Lars' outlook, passion and ideas. Would like to try my hardest to help Lars maintain that. :!:

@TrackerTaz, I think that was scrapped, never made it to the final revision.
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Delphis wrote:The only thing I'm a bit worried about is the fact that according to the suggesstion the GRT will be visible from nearly everywhere. So the feeling of exploring the wildness gets lost a bit.

This is what I'm concerned about too. You're exploring in the middle of nowhere, but oh wait, you can see the massive tower no matter where you are. I don't know about many of you guys, but it would detract from the whole isolated exploration vibe somewhat (at least for me it would).

However, I'm sure Lars has covered it (he certainly seems to be on the ball with everything :D ). Even if it is visible from everywhere, perhaps there would be the option to disable that functionality in the immersion settings or something? :)
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:54 pm

I concur about the visibility thingie too. Natural landmarks are more fun and are not visible from anywhere (apart from the sun and moon and stars!). :thumbs:
This is a placeholder for something witty and clever that will both amuse and confuse you.
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Paronomasia wrote:I concur about the visibility thingie too. Natural landmarks are more fun and are not visible from anywhere (apart from the sun and moon and stars!). :thumbs:

Woop! Haha yeah, would be interesting if the sun/moon/stars were invisible in some places, although I guess that's what clouds are for... :P.
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm

@gad

I definitely understand your hesitation. Although, I trust Lars in what he is doing, so I think it'll ultimately come out successful for all.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:53 pm

@gad no Restore Ruins was in the top 25 poll it got 5.1 % of votes

I guess I wasn't the only one to wanted to build up skills and actually use them of something.

But I'm excited to see the 3 that got picked, & to see how they work in the game.

Not sure why all the hate for GRT

Lars said he had a plan for it and it wouldn't destroy the lore either. I have faith in him.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by gad » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:30 am

Please don't misconstrue probing for info as hate. The description on the survey was extremely vague and Lars followup just made it even more super-secret :P. Even though I trust Lars implicitly. I'm sure his idea to make it rockin' is just that. I am trying to find out his general plans, not revealing super secretness. And whether or not it includes any of the consensus/hope from the community of the GRT as a dungeon crawler, puzzler, items, bosses, etc. is part of what he plans. We all pledged money because of his vision and we all have the right to ask in a mature way if this is going to be held to. I feel differently pledging to a game where this giant Tower, which could potentially be a mini-Skyrim/Torchlight/LoG, is suddenly an integral part of the lore/world. I hope you can understand my concern and desire for more information. :cool:
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by TanC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am

Well, at least Seasons made it in. Was surprised to see Gardening wasn't in the list. To me the GRT is going to be a stone/marble structure jutting out from an overgrown forest at the base of the building. I hope it's explorable once the main quests for it is done and completed. The view from up there sure would be thrilling! :D
TanC
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Zolana » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 am

gad wrote:Please don't misconstrue probing for info as hate. The description on the survey was extremely vague and Lars followup just made it even more super-secret :P. Even though I trust Lars implicitly. I'm sure his idea to make it rockin' is just that. I am trying to find out his general plans, not revealing super secretness. And whether or not it includes any of the consensus/hope from the community of the GRT as a dungeon crawler, puzzler, items, bosses, etc. is part of what he plans. We all pledged money because of his vision and we all have the right to ask in a mature way if this is going to be held to. I feel differently pledging to a game where this giant Tower, which could potentially be a mini-Skyrim/Torchlight/LoG, is suddenly an integral part of the lore/world. I hope you can understand my concern and desire for more information. :cool:

Well said gad, my thoughts exactly!
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:47 pm

TanC wrote: To me the GRT is going to be a stone/marble structure jutting out from an overgrown forest at the base of the building.

This is what I thought we would have and that it could be explored !! But I guess that doesn't fit into an exploration game.....

I think we should just get rid of GRT !!!

Drop it and go with just the top 2. Hell why not drop everything and just have Seasons then, so everyone will be happy then !!!!
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by DWMagus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 pm

TrackerTaz wrote:
TanC wrote: To me the GRT is going to be a stone/marble structure jutting out from an overgrown forest at the base of the building.

This is what I thought we would have and that it could be explored !! But I guess that doesn't fit into an exploration game.....

I think we should just get rid of GRT !!!

Drop it and go with just the top 2. Hell why not drop everything and just have Seasons then, so everyone will be happy then !!!!

....I hope you're not serious. :?
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by TanC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:21 pm

DWMagus wrote:
TrackerTaz wrote:

Fine...no stone/marble towers then. :(

:lol:

TrackerTaz wrote:This is what I thought we would have and that it could be explored !! But I guess that doesn't fit into an exploration game.....

But I don't see how it could not be explored?
TanC
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by DWMagus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

TanC wrote:
DWMagus wrote:

Fine...no stone/marble towers then. :(

:lol:

TrackerTaz wrote:This is what I thought we would have and that it could be explored !! But I guess that doesn't fit into an exploration game.....

But I don't see how it could not be explored?

TanC, I read your post and you made me have to do a double-take against what I wrote. Once I did, I lol'd. :lol:
DWMagus
Explorer

Next

Return to Announcements