What kind of areas do you want to see ingame?

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Re: What kind of areas do you want to see ingame?

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 pm

I have discovered, if nothing else from this thread, is that our world is incredibly beautiful and amazing. I foresee some trips in my future.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by Lars » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:19 pm

DWMagus wrote:I have discovered, if nothing else from this thread, is that our world is incredibly beautiful and amazing. I foresee some trips in my future.

Well said! Every region in every country has wonders to be seen, we just have to take the time to go find them. It's a worthwhile endeavour :biggrin:
Why, where I lived before going to university I discovered after 11 years that I just had a 40 min walk to an awesome rock formation with stone-age wall carvings.
Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by Vance » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Lars wrote:
DWMagus wrote:I have discovered, if nothing else from this thread, is that our world is incredibly beautiful and amazing. I foresee some trips in my future.

Well said! Every region in every country has wonders to be seen, we just have to take the time to go find them. It's a worthwhile endeavour :biggrin:
Why, where I lived before going to university I discovered after 11 years that I just had a 40 min walk to an awesome rock formation with stone-age wall carvings.

I thought you were actually Lars Simkins for a second. :P
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Lars » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Vance wrote:I thought you were actually Lars Simkins for a second. :P

Nope, just another Lars. There's a lot of us here in Norway :p
Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by col03004 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I would love to see the following:

-A forest of giant mushrooms (there could even be things like spore clouds that make you trip out for a while)
-A forest with really big trees, like the California Redwoods. you you could even have a native tribe that lives in a tree house village.
-A burned over area (this could provide a mystery to be solved: how did it burn, why hasn't anything grown back since the fire? Was it natural or is something more sinister at work?)
-Areas with different kinds of dirt (this may sound dumb but I have lived all over the U.S. And there is a huge difference in the color of dirt in different places. Red, tan, dark brown, grey.) it's a little thing but one of those details that I think can add a lot to the immersion.
-some coastal sand dunes would be cool too. Maybe an area with a lot of driftwood and other debris washed on shore. Finding random things that have washed ashore from other parts of the world could be a great way to tell the backstory of the world. I lived in Hawaii for a while and it is amazing how much random stuff washes ashore from all over.
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
col03004
Wanderer

Re: What kind of areas to you want to see ingame?

PostPosted by bgivenb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:34 am

Gazz wrote:A small landslide has resulted in a house now standing at a noticeable angle.

Wish granted
Attachments
ScreenShotTerrainia7.png
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by bgivenb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 am

col03004 wrote:-A burned over area (this could provide a mystery to be solved: how did it burn, why hasn't anything grown back since the fire? Was it natural or is something more sinister at work?)
Attachments
ScreenShotTerrainia8.png
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by HammelGammel » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:32 am

- An old house on a cliff.

- A bridge across a dangerous river - bandits demand money to let you cross it.

- A cave with a corpse and an opened flask filled with some kind of liquid (= A mystery to solve :D)
HammelGammel
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by bgivenb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 am

HammelGammel wrote:- A cave with a corpse and an opened flask filled with some kind of liquid (= A mystery to solve :D)

Merry Christmas

brought to you by Pink Floyd and caffine
Attachments
ScreenShotTerrainia9.png
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by bgivenb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:30 pm

col03004 wrote:-some coastal sand dunes would be cool too. Maybe an area with a lot of driftwood and other debris washed on shore. Finding random things that have washed ashore from other parts of the world could be a great way to tell the backstory of the world. I lived in Hawaii for a while and it is amazing how much random stuff washes ashore from all over.
Attachments
ScreenShotTerrainia10.png
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Holy shit! Christmas came early!

DAMN!

:D :D :D :D :D Thanks Given! :D :D :D :D :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by HammelGammel » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Nice! :D this is going to be awesome!
HammelGammel
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by Gazz » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 pm

LOL! Thanks. =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:53 am

Love early christmas presents !!! :clapping:
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Lolologist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 pm

What would I wish to see...

How about a mud pit with a castle in the background, where two farmers can be digging it up and discussing politics?

A house in a 'bowl', surrounded by nearby hills. It clearly would flood greatly when it rains a lot, and does so. The house appears to be a boathouse and is anchored to the ground in many places. When it rains, the house merely rises up with the water.

A mountain with something pretty much resembling a face in it. There's a rope ladder hanging from one of the nostrils. Whatever could be inside?
Lolologist
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:19 pm

A lake house.

Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Unaccounted4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm

A campsite with "seemingly" no indication of where people went, or why they set up there in the first place.
The official hype-man for LinuxGameCast.
@UnaccountedFour or on Google+
Unaccounted4
Pathfinder

PostPosted by Valkor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Railboy wrote:A lake house.

Wasn't that one of the Serious Business options?
Valkor
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Starfia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:12 am

Ooh. My first cited location in the "Your Favourite Soothing Places In Video Games" thread is the area under the bridge in A Link To The Past. Is it too late to suggest an area inspired by that area?

http://youtu.be/-rF4UuMjcmQ?t=6m55s
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by LepcisMagna » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:06 am

Well, besides all the stuff InfinityOne suggested (Three story waterfall FTW), I always want to find areas that seem completely "natural", but have a hidden lever somewhere that reveals a secret underground lair. Or a house carved into the side of a cliff, like with Mesa Verde.
LepcisMagna
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by col03004 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:33 pm

LepcisMagna wrote:Well, besides all the stuff InfinityOne suggested (Three story waterfall FTW), I always want to find areas that seem completely "natural", but have a hidden lever somewhere that reveals a secret underground lair. Or a house carved into the side of a cliff, like with Mesa Verde.

I second the hidden lever idea. Some of my favorite parts of open world games are finding secret areas in a place I have been multiple times before. Secret places that require careful examination add so much to a feeling of exploration.
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
col03004
Wanderer

PostPosted by light487 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:42 am

Nothing in particular as such.. but the idea is that when I am out there exploring around, I want to find "things" and "places" that stand out from the rest of the environment but are not too obvious. Like.. I don't want a purple or pink tree or rock in the middle of nowhere.. but rather a rock that looks otherwise natural with a shape that might be, when looked at from a particular angle, considered to be animal-like.. or just simply an outcropping of rocks that is out of place or stands out within a heavily wooded area.. nothing about the rocks are unnatural or otheriwse weird.. but it's just enough of a difference to pique my interest to investigate it further. Upon discovering such a place and investigating it, I would like to be rewarded in some way.. not necessarily with any items or in-game currency.. but maybe in the form of a nice view, or some insight into the area or some extra piece to a much large puzzle.. and also some kind of achievement and/or experience for finding that place.

Often in games with a lot of exploration, you find these amazing places (e.g. a secluded waterfall with natural spring surrounded by a lush bed of grass and flowers etc) but beyond looking at them and that personal, subjective reward of finding the place, there's not a lot more to it than that... there is no purpose to finding it or in-game reward of any kind..
light487
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by Lars » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:42 pm

LepcisMagna wrote:Well, besides all the stuff InfinityOne suggested (Three story waterfall FTW), I always want to find areas that seem completely "natural", but have a hidden lever somewhere that reveals a secret underground lair. Or a house carved into the side of a cliff, like with Mesa Verde.

InfinityOne only re-suggested the hidden beach idea, the big post with the three story waterfall was posted by me. That said, I third the notion of having really well hidden structures in seemingly natural locations without anything leading you to think there is anything to look for besides what can already be seen. That sort of thing rewards the most curious (or lucky) individuals and adds another dimension to exploration.
Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by Faw » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:42 am

I'd love something like a hole in the ground in the middle of a flat wide open area, preferably where there's a lot of tallish grass or something. You don't see the hole until you're right up to its rim. When you go down you find a hidden, long abandoned cave with journals, furniture all around a cosy place. But it should contain something said and beautiful and give you a unique item. The exit must be well hidden as well, if it's not the same as the entry.
Faw
Wanderer

PostPosted by bgivenb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:25 am

Great ideas all around. FWI: specific is good, simple is good; everyone has that one thing they want to see in a game, and its awesome to make those happen
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by bgivenb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:35 am

Unaccounted4 wrote:A campsite with "seemingly" no indication of where people went, or why they set up there in the first place.

Happy Birthday!
Attachments
ScreenShotTerrainia11.png
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Yay! Another present!

Thanks Given!
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by Unaccounted4 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:38 am

bgivenb wrote:
Unaccounted4 wrote:A campsite with "seemingly" no indication of where people went, or why they set up there in the first place.

Happy Birthday!

Thank you! :D
The official hype-man for LinuxGameCast.
@UnaccountedFour or on Google+
Unaccounted4
Pathfinder

PostPosted by bgivenb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 am

Lars wrote:I second (or is that fifth, sixth?) the hidden beach idea by oznewhaven.

I'd also like to see some awesome waterfalls:

This is a picture of Multnomah Falls in Oregon, I actually did quite a bit of hiking here this summer. The trail crosses just under the waterfall, and there's a bunch of switchbacks to a breathtaking lookout at the top. I actually have been wanting to put something like that into the game; more of an inspired area then a direct copy, the the same basic idea.

Here is an early WIP of the area. I'm going to keep working on this when I have time between my other terrain tasks. Like I said, this is really rough, and I have yet to add vegetation, etc, but you can see the basic layout
Attachments
ScreenShotAppleValley1.jpg
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PostPosted by Zolana » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:49 am

bgivenb wrote:
Lars wrote:I second (or is that fifth, sixth?) the hidden beach idea by oznewhaven.

I'd also like to see some awesome waterfalls:
http://www.thecoolhunter.net/images/falls.jpg

This is a picture of Multnomah Falls in Oregon, I actually did quite a bit of hiking here this summer. The trail crosses just under the waterfall, and there's a bunch of switchbacks to a breathtaking lookout at the top. I actually have been wanting to put something like that into the game; more of an inspired area then a direct copy, the the same basic idea.

Here is an early WIP of the area. I'm going to keep working on this when I have time between my other terrain tasks. Like I said, this is really rough, and I have yet to add vegetation, etc, but you can see the basic layout

This also reminds me of this place in Scotland "The Falls of Bruar" (just off the A9 past Pitlochry and Blair Atholl for anyone who wants to visit it):

-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by FigmentEra » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Speaking of waterfalls, I would love to see one with an itty-bitty shack perched on a rock at the very edge, or maybe even halfway down. Preferably connected to the shore with a log or rope bridges or something else suitable.

In a slightly more farfetched request, I'd love to see something modled on the cave from the Two Towers, Faramir's base (It has a name, but I'd have to look it up and I doubt it would mean anything to anybody else). The description of it is absolutely gorgeous.
FigmentEra
Wanderer

PostPosted by Merla » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 pm

FigmentEra wrote:Speaking of waterfalls, I would love to see one with an itty-bitty shack perched on a rock at the very edge, or maybe even halfway down. Preferably connected to the shore with a log or rope bridges or something else suitable.

In a slightly more farfetched request, I'd love to see something modled on the cave from the Two Towers, Faramir's base (It has a name, but I'd have to look it up and I doubt it would mean anything to anybody else). The description of it is absolutely gorgeous.

Its name is Henneth Annûn located in Ithilien.
Merla
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by DWMagus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 am

Lookin' good Given!
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by FigmentEra » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Merla wrote:
FigmentEra wrote:Speaking of waterfalls, I would love to see one with an itty-bitty shack perched on a rock at the very edge, or maybe even halfway down. Preferably connected to the shore with a log or rope bridges or something else suitable.

Its name is Henneth Annûn located in Ithilien.

Thank you.

(Someone else remembered a fact about Tolkien better than I. It's been a while since that happened.)
FigmentEra
Wanderer

PostPosted by bgivenb » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:20 am

Here we go. Looking much more finished now
Attachments
ScreenShotAppleValley2.jpg
bgivenb
Artisan
Artisan

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Asylum