What kind of areas do you want to see ingame?

All your crazy ideas and suggestions end up here. Will you?

Re: What kind of areas to you want to see ingame?

PostPosted by DWMagus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am

Zolana wrote:Something kind of like the jungle temple at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

+1!

That would be awesome!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by Mark Shaun Rushow » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 am

[5 pages of image quote deleted. Seriously?
Gazz]

the hidden beach image you psted oh yeah! and Chapel of St. Michel d'Aiguilhe, le Puy-in-Velay, France reminds me of Gondor! which would make a good base for inspiration for the giant ruined tower.

I'm old school a bit and love lava caverns and volcanoes and CASTLES IN VOLCANOES! like is the first Shrek movie. or this is my favorite art piece of all time for years now. Image Man what I would pay for a simple print of that about poster size or bigger.

[double post collapsed
Gazz]
e-cig Keep the addiction, get the buzz, chill out, and no worries. e-cig for life....literally.
Vape anywhere with no worries, no secondhand, no smell, no terrible taste (you choose your flavor), and no stains
NO Cancer or tar filled lungs!
Mark Shaun Rushow
Pathfinder

PostPosted by AlexDCerva » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Hmm... something like :D
- China Great Wall
- Bamboo Forest of Sagano
- Foz do Iguaçu Falls
- Cave of Fingal
- Phraya Nakhon Cave
- Plitvice Lakes
- Angkor Temples
AlexDCerva
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Ceres » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 am

Sort of like oznewhaven included in those great ideas, I, too, would vote for some water-related areas -- maybe something like some of these?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ogDkNdf1XWc/0.jpg

http://www.whatthehellnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Son-Doong-Cave-vietnam-550x412.jpg

And I think it'd be great if we had a place modeled on the "Bimini Road" -- or someplace like this: http://www.newprophecy.net/Atlantis_ruins_1.jpg

Not only could we discover it, but we (or at least I ) would have to wonder:

What's that ?
How'd it get here ??
And how do I get to it ???

(After all, in Frontiers, ya never know what you'll discover ... or where you'll discover it.)

And if you could add a couple of pods of dolphins, that'd be even better! :)
Ceres
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:39 pm

DWMagus wrote:
Zolana wrote:Something kind of like the jungle temple at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

+1!

That would be awesome!

On the subject of Indiana Jones related temple cave things, the one at the end of the Last Crusade wasn't too bad either!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

Re: What kind of areas do you want to see ingame?

PostPosted by TanC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:43 am

+1 to Gazz's list and Machu Picchu-like scenery.
TanC
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by metalicdemon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:43 pm

what kind of areas do I want to see in game?? Hmm, well I guess that there will be towns and cities in Frontiers so what I would like is for them to be decent sized, not like how Bethesda always makes cities in their games :­)
taters gonna tate!
metalicdemon
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:29 pm

metalicdemon wrote:what kind of areas do I want to see in game?? Hmm, well I guess that there will be towns and cities in Frontiers so what I would like is for them to be decent sized, not like how Bethesda always makes cities in their games :­)

How do you mean? (I'm working on cities right now.)
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by toxiciron » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:28 pm

metalicdemon wrote:what kind of areas do I want to see in game?? Hmm, well I guess that there will be towns and cities in Frontiers so what I would like is for them to be decent sized, not like how Bethesda always makes cities in their games :­)

I'm assuming he means not small in comparison to how big cities normally are... because in Elder Scrolls games the cities are always kinda underwhelming. Like Solitude, in Skyrim -- it's supposed to be the capital and hub of most activity in the whole country, but it consists of like... 10 buildings. I would imagine it full of thousands of people.

Or maybe he doesn't like that there are separate world spaces for cities than the rest of the world. I've always thought it was silly, since there are plenty of open city mods for skyrim AND oblivion, so we know the engine could handle it. I hate loading screens. If Frontiers' cities are loaded without a loading screen, then I will enjoy the game that much more. I'd understand if indoors were loaded separate, depending on the workflow, however.
toxiciron
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 am

Railboy wrote:

How do you mean? (I'm working on cities right now.)

Village-sized cities & hamlet-sized towns :P
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 am

toxiciron wrote:If Frontiers' cities are loaded without a loading screen, then I will enjoy the game that much more. I'd understand if indoors were loaded separate, depending on the workflow, however.

I believe Lars has already suggested there'll not be skyrim-style load screens
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 am

Don't hold me to this yet, but it looks like Given and I have found a way to do away with the dreaded loading screens entirely.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by metalicdemon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:06 am

Spoiler:      SHOW
toxiciron wrote:

I'm assuming he means not small in comparison to how big cities normally are... because in Elder Scrolls games the cities are always kinda underwhelming. Like Solitude, in Skyrim -- it's supposed to be the capital and hub of most activity in the whole country, but it consists of like... 10 buildings. I would imagine it full of thousands of people.

Or maybe he doesn't like that there are separate world spaces for cities than the rest of the world. I've always thought it was silly, since there are plenty of open city mods for skyrim AND oblivion, so we know the engine could handle it. I hate loading screens. If Frontiers' cities are loaded without a loading screen, then I will enjoy the game that much more. I'd understand if indoors were loaded separate, depending on the workflow, however.

That sums it up quite nicely :D
taters gonna tate!
metalicdemon
Spyglass Polisher

PostPosted by subsistcyber » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:52 am

In my opinion, if you're able to grab my attention and steer it away from the main quest/storyline with something I 'see' along a path, you've done your job well. It's good an well to have unique locations throughout the game, but if you're able to place those locations in areas that grab my attention without the need of huge amounts of exploration then it is all the better. I usually save exploration for after I "beat" a game unless there's something to catch my attention. I really hope you have plans to side-track us into exploring. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, but if it requires a wikia to find than it feels a bit like time wasted. So to answer your question, I'd like to have my attention diverted from my main task in the game. I want to be lured into exploration by a landmark. The more landmarks that catch my attention, the better!

Looking forward to what you come up with!
subsistcyber
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Railboy wrote:Don't hold me to this yet, but it looks like Given and I have found a way to do away with the dreaded loading screens entirely.

Really hope you pull this off! :D
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Zolana

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:57 pm

subsistcyber wrote:In my opinion, if you're able to grab my attention and steer it away from the main quest/storyline with something I 'see' along a path, you've done your job well.

Truth! +10
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:03 am

DWMagus wrote:
subsistcyber wrote:In my opinion, if you're able to grab my attention and steer it away from the main quest/storyline with something I 'see' along a path, you've done your job well.

Truth! +10

100% agree with this

Railboy wrote:Don't hold me to this yet, but it looks like Given and I have found a way to do away with the dreaded loading screens entirely.

that would be awesome
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Fryingpan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:47 am

Maybe something like the tunnels under the white cliffs of Dover? While the deeper ones are from the second world war, some date back quite a lot further, they are long wide tunnels (sort of like smaller railway tunnels) all interconnected with bits that look out halfway up cliff faces, over the sea. I think these would be fun to explore as you never know (especially at night) if the next turn is going to leave you plummeting to your doom. Plus who knows what has squatted in them over the years. Perhaps the entrances were all blocked up but through time and erosion, gaps have appeared to find your way in, but make it much harder to find your way out again.
Fryingpan
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by antihuman09 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 pm

I have to agree with Fryingpan. Abandoned mine shafts and such are missing from most games. I'd like to see some with the accesses mostly obscured and possibly still having their rail systems partially intact. Take a chance and ride the cart? Yes, please!
When pride is allied with hostility, all reason is denied. -Shai Hulud
antihuman09
Engineer

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:07 am

antihuman09 wrote: I'd like to see some with the accesses mostly obscured and possibly still having their rail systems partially intact.

This would be a great thing to use archeology for, blast a hole that you can crawl into the enterance.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Fryingpan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Also real smugglers coves, which are not obvious at all unless you happen to stumble across the overgrown and windy path down to them, perhaps with a cave system or something leading to an enclosed bay?

something like these (though perhaps bigger cliffs/more vegetation) where there are little bays which are hard to get to, with perhaps something the smugglers forgot?
Fryingpan
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by InfinityOne » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:32 am

oznewhaven wrote:Hidden Beach in Marieta Islands, Mexico: Looks like a world gen gone wrong. Apparently to get inside you have to swim underwater through a tunnel:

I second "oznewhaven" idea above. There is a pretty cool park near Austin TX called Hamilton Pool that has a similar feel to it. I love the idea of trees and foliage hanging and leaning over the water like in the second picture below. Maybe a rope swing hanging off one of those trees so we could swing off into a river or body of water and make a big splash. Could also be an escape tactic too if something happens to be chasing you. Just a thought.

InfinityOne
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by Callisto » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 pm

A large forest with a hidden meadow full of beautiful flowers, a lake surrounded by glowing mushrooms...
Callisto
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Lars » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 pm

I second (or is that fifth, sixth?) the hidden beach idea by oznewhaven.

I'd also like to see some awesome waterfalls:
Image Image

And I'd like to see cool bridge structures:

Caves/tunnels (possibly of ice):

Epic valleys, plateaus and stuff:

And last but not least, this sort of place, only with a giant potato statue:
Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:41 pm

I see your cool bridge structure, and raise you this:

http://static.delmondo.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Chang-Kong-Cliff-Road-2-da-dailymail.co_.uk_.jpg

Also, (and apologies for the poor quality picture, but it's the only one I could find that showed what I was looking for), this waterfall is pretty awesome:

http://www.stravaiging.com/photos/albums/places%20in%20Scotland/waterfalls/Falls%20of%20Bruar%2C%20Perthshire/fallsofbruar003.jpg

(and it's got a nice bridge at the top).

You'll have to take it on trust from me that it looks a lot better if you're actually there!
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by gad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:05 pm

I hope people start learning towards more extreme, hard to survive, areas! 8-) Don't get me wrong I love nice stuff but I also like to be crushed beyond reason.

Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by Lars » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Ok, so we've got the Chang Kong cliff road. That reminded me of El Caminito del Rey: http://www.wimp.com/elcaminito/ I'd love to see dangerous trails like those.

Speaking of extreme areas (try surviving here):

A geysir location:

A maelstrom that can be seen from the coast somewhere:
Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by gad » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:09 am

I am fond of the rocks that form in parallel segments, the aerial shot. What is that called?
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by frt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:22 am

@Gad - Madagascar
http://www.tourismontheedge.com/places/ ... video.html

This is a pretty frak'n cool looking one too: Soothing Baths in Turkey

More pics and info at the link below
http://www.tourismontheedge.com/places/ ... urkey.html
frt
Wanderer

PostPosted by gad » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:34 am

@frt, i am all over that. the needle region... hell yeah. that is some brutality if i ever saw it.

temp of water in baths?
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by gad » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:37 am

@lars, i am curious about the first one too. what is that? sulfur baths?
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by frt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:42 am

gad wrote:@frt, i am all over that. the needle region... hell yeah. that is some brutality if i ever saw it.

temp of water in baths?

Not sure about the temps - says hot springs though. There are folks in the springs in several pics, so can't be tooo bad. ;)

gad wrote:@lars, i am curious about the first one too. what is that? sulfur baths?

Looks like sulfur or something toxic lol... one wrong step there and you're fracked. :)
frt
Wanderer

PostPosted by Lars » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:18 am

@gad, it is sulfur baths due to the volcanic activity in the area. It is in the Danakil dessert in Africa, dubbed "the cruelest place on earth" by National Geographic http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2005/10/danakil-desert/morell-text
A double team of forces—hot springs and liquid rock—combined to create the otherworldly landscape of Ethiopia's Dallol volcano. Dallol is the world's only volcano below sea level (minus 157 feet [minus 50 meters]) and the hottest place on Earth. Sulfur and mineral salts from upwelling springs create vivid colors.

Lars
Baked Potato

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:52 am

Shiraito Falls, Japan (in Autumn)

source page
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by gad » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:50 pm

@Lars, wow that is pretty epic. i would hate to be there... haaa
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Asylum