list of modable things

Where modders get to tear my game apart when I *finally* release the tools

list of modable things

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm wondering if it'd be beneficial to have a sticky locked thread containing a list of what is actually modable- to aid discussion & planning in the modding forum?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: list of modable things

PostPosted by Vance » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:40 pm

I support this idea, but I think it would be more doable after the game is actually developed first. :sorry:
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Merla » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I like your spirit, Marv. But like Vance wrote its too early at this state. We will have to wait for the first informations from alpha-tester at least (probably next month, see backers calendar), but most likely we have to wait till end of the year for the beta + modkit (if everything went smooth).

If we start to write concepts for the mods, we could expect that we can mod everything and cut the parts not doable later. If we end up with a great concept which is not realizable, we can submit a "bug report" :monkey: for fixing this show breaker.
Merla
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Gazz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Going by the latest dev log entry, modding is pretty much up in the air.

A mod system with some kind of simple asset/file priority system would automatically support incremental patches as a side effect - like the X games.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by TanC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 am

Yea, nice initiative Marv. :thumbs:

So since modding is not ready yet we could talk about the other type of modding - Gazz, DWMagus...etc. :lol:
TanC
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by DodgyNomad » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Do you think they are ready to talk about modable stuff now?
DodgyNomad
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Gazz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I added :jmonkey: . Does that count? =P

I don't know anything specific but right now the team is busy putting the world together.

IMO, the time to ask about modding is maybe in late beta when Lars ran out of bugs to stomp. (as if that ever happens with any game)
More likely this is something to be dealt with after the release.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:47 pm

I actually wouldn't mind dropping some info now. There are still some fuzzy areas, but for the most part what is and isn't moddable is starting to firm up.

I won't be able to type up a list of all the moddable things. But if you ask questions I can provide (relatively timely) answers.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by bjornfeuer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Here are some of the obvious that I'm curious about:

• How easy will it be to change textures? These are usually some of the earliest mods.
  • Sounds/Playlists
  • Placement of Objects/Adding Objects to the game
  • AI behavior
  • Adding Creatures/NPCs or modifying existing models
  • Adding new lands or modifying existing ones
I drink the sweat and tears of fan speculation.
bjornfeuer
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:16 am

How easy will it be to change textures? These are usually some of the earliest mods.
Replacing textures will be easy. You just give the texture the right name and put it in the right directory and the game will import & use that in place of the standard texture. Avoiding out-of-memory errors will be another matter - I'm already pushing things to the limit on 32-bit builds.

Sounds/Playlists
Not sure about this one yet. Seems like it would be simple but Unity's sound library and file importing in general is kind of lousy. I'll figure it out though.

Placement of Objects/Adding Objects to the game
Really easy in the sense that the data is all exposed and easy to manipulate. The editor tools will matter a lot here.

AI behavior
Easy to program extremely broad behavior. Harder to program complex or fine-tuned behavior - you'll need to create new WIScripts - but still possible.

Adding Creatures/NPCs or modifying existing models
Adding creatures and NPCs that use existing models will be a snap. You just define a creature or character template (including basic AI) then tell it where to spawn. Modifying the animated models is trickier. I haven't worked that out yet, though it's high on the priority list. Modifying static models like structure packs will be a lot simpler.

Adding new lands or modifying existing ones
Supremely easy. For terrain you can build everything except plant detail layers entirely in photoshop. The recommended workflow is free Unity editor->build terrain chunks->export chunks to FRONTIERS format->load in game.

90% of the 'ease' I'm touting will come down to tools. I use custom inspector tools inside of Unity, and I'll be making those available as a 'starter kit,' but part of what I want to accomplish during the beta is to put together a better suite of tools for manipulating game data. The ones I'm working with are *very* much dev tools but I doubt that'll be a problem for long. The data couldn't be more straightforward. Hell you could even make the tools web-based.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Kraggoth » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:26 pm

First post of mine, hello hello, after pouring over all the bits of information I can about this game I've decided to buy it come the 16th and go full bore into it with lets plays / art / modding / guides.

This is as much a personal goal / experiment as it is an effort to help the seemingly wonderful devs.

On topic, it seems like then, after reading this, I will be able to tweak animations? Namely I'd start with the bow which assuming it hasn't changed since the 5 month old Guild University video has around ~20-24 frames of animation I think... I'd be attempting to make it smoother, more frames on the draw making the bowstring not appear to stop every frame.
Kraggoth
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Railboy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:35 am

Hello!

Animations & models are tough in general. They're the only thing I don't have a solid plan for.

Tools / weapons are made slightly easier by the fact that they don't currently use animation - all weapons (including the bow) use procedural / physics based movement. That includes the bow string.

Out of the box that's going to be hard to change. But the goal is to let you attach new scripts to existing items at runtime. If I pull this off that means you could plug into the existing tool system and add whatever additional components you want. You can see in the script that the tool itself doesn't really care whether it's animated or not, so attaching a script that listens to its currents state and plays animations isn't going to clash with anything. The trick is to give that new script access.

I haven't worked on this plug-in system or experimented with it for a long time - been way too distracted by a billion other things. But I'll add it to GitHub soon so people can start poking at it.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Cant wait to get some mods going. Going to have to learn some new stuff!
Bomzulu -- Can you survive?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dyllinaleluia.com
http://blog.dyllinaleluia.com *NOW WORKING*
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

Return to Modding Central