Installer Size?

Engine, AI, scripting, that sort of thing.

Installer Size?

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 pm

What's the size of the installer likely to be?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: Installer Size?

PostPosted by Gazz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Are you taking bets?

I'll take 3719472 bytes, +/- 300.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Merla » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Gazz wrote:Are you taking bets?

I'll take 3719472 bytes, +/- 300.

Nahh, you are off by +323'300'221 bytes, at least. :lol:
Merla
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Well I was thinking that with the lack of voice acting, it'd be relatively small.

Sure, go ahead and make bets :P
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:What's the size of the installer likely to be?

:lol:

I love how oddly specific your questions are given how far out we are from anything resembling a finished product.

A few gigs? (Ish?)
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Railboy wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:What's the size of the installer likely to be?

:lol:

I love how oddly specific your questions are given how far out we are from anything resembling a finished product.

A few gigs? (Ish?)

It's a leading question :P

Are you going to torrent the installer so players won't have to wait as long to play? :D
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:26 pm

I should mention that it's a pet peeve of mine when games are launched with multi-GB installers and *don't* use torrenting- it saves the money for the distributors & saves time for the players :D
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by SyntaxBlitz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Personally, I will never install a game that requires you to participate in its peer-to-peer distribution system (and I have missed out on some pretty good games because of this!). If I have to use my external firewall software to prevent the game companies from using my PC as a seedbox, I find myself kind of... insulted. For a game like Frontiers, I'd be perfectly willing to opt in to this sort of thing; really, I'm almost always willing to opt in to peer-to-peer distribution networks for video games. If they're trying to require it of me, though, I just become annoyed.
Hi!
SyntaxBlitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by Vance » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:01 pm

The only games I torrent are companies that I hate.
Those include Activision, EA Games, and Ubisoft.
In other words; companies that willingly screw over the consumer in order to make more money.

However, most pirates do not care about DRM, and pirate all games for the sake of pirating.
I for one, always support indie developers and non-DRM platforms whenever I can.

I hope Frontiers does not loose profits with P2P interfaces such as TPB and KAT.
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Vance wrote:The only games I torrent are companies that I hate.
Those include Activision, EA Games, and Ubisoft.
In other words; companies that willingly screw over the consumer in order to make more money.

However, most pirates do not care about DRM, and pirate all games for the sake of pirating.
I for one, always support indie developers and non-DRM platforms whenever I can.

I hope Frontiers does not loose profits with P2P interfaces such as TPB and KAT.

Torrenting does not equate to piracy in the context of this discussion. For example, Neverwinter's installer was available as a torrent, and the majority of the Humble Bundle games are available as a torrent.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Keep in mind, people are voting for the game on GOG and Steam. There's a very good chance that if it makes it on just one of those platforms, that'll be the 'official' way and that distribution outside of those methods will be incredibly limited if any.

This is the whole reason behind people wanting it on both; GOG for the hassle free, single file download, and Steam for those who like keeping things in a cloud library.

I'm going to wager a guess and say flat-out that it won't be torrents.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 am

GOG all the way. :thumbs:

And torrent is a valid way for non-rich companies to provide downloads without a) killing bandwidth with all people trying to download and b) adding a huge cost for the company. I still prefer GOG, though, so I hope it makes it to there.

As for the installer size, it'll be just the right size. Not too big, not too small. Just about yay big. *holds up hands to show* :clapping: :crazy:
This is a placeholder for something witty and clever that will both amuse and confuse you.
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by Rick » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:58 pm

I honestly don't care too much how to get the game, as Long as it will run offline once installed. GOG is always fine... Same goes for Steam...
Rick
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by Unaccounted4 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:07 pm

The sole reason I don't want GOG to be the official distributor is because they don't support Linux. In fact, they have actively repudiated any and all attempts to introduce support for it.
The official hype-man for LinuxGameCast.
@UnaccountedFour or on Google+
Unaccounted4
Pathfinder

PostPosted by Vance » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:34 pm

I've gotten used to the Steam cloud interface where it makes all of your user data universal between different computers.

I hope the Steam version will have lots and lots of achievements to keep players interested. :3
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Vance wrote:I hope the Steam version will have lots and lots of achievements to keep players interested. :3

I hope the game itself and modding community will keep players interested :P
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Gazz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Vance wrote:I hope the Steam version will have lots and lots of achievements to keep players interested. :3

"Lots of achievements" in today's games is usually done by congratulating you on the achievement of walking a short distance without dieing. Or something similarly exacting.
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Achievements, zero interest for me. Never seen the point of them, especially not the way they are used these days. :dunno:

As you say, Gazz, these days you can get an achievement for starting the game. :rofl:
This is a placeholder for something witty and clever that will both amuse and confuse you.
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Paronomasia wrote:Achievements, zero interest for me. Never seen the point of them, especially not the way they are used these days. :dunno:

As you say, Gazz, these days you can get an achievement for starting the game. :rofl:

I'm only for achievements for those things that are really worthwhile achieving. "Travel 100 miles on foot" for example. Or more, even.

But not an ungodly number of achievements.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by XenoReaper » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 pm

DWMagus wrote:
Paronomasia wrote:Achievements, zero interest for me. Never seen the point of them, especially not the way they are used these days. :dunno:

I'm only for achievements for those things that are really worthwhile achieving. "Travel 100 miles on foot" for example. Or more, even.

But not an ungodly number of achievements.

I remember beating a game once and the following achievement pop-ups appeared:

"Congratulations! You beat the game on NORMAL difficulty."
"Congratulations! You beat the game on EASY difficulty." (since I beat normal it did this automatically as well)
"You defeated the final boss!"
"You completed the final mission!"

Did it really need multiple achievements for the same damn thing? Seriously- they might as well have given me an achievement for beating the last boss, and a separate achievement for disabling his pelvis. And another for walking into the room without having the door somehow kill me... (hyperbole alert)
"A TV person said or did something today! Quick! We've all got to share our opinion!"
-Married to the Sea
XenoReaper
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 pm

The only benefit of such achievements is to see how many people own the game but haven't actually played it; a teensy bit over a quarter of Portal 2 owners (steam) haven't started the game.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Gazz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 am

Hmm. I might own the game and not even know it. The magic of Steam bundles. =P
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 am

Gazz wrote:Hmm. I might own the game and not even know it. The magic of Steam bundles. =P

Exactly. Like me, got the Oranges Potato, er, bundle. Haven't installed all (and never will), only those I got the package for. :dunno:

Still, for me achievements are null and void. :sorry:
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by upsurper » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 am

Steam Trading Cards are what im hoping are implemented.
The Vasari Empire And The Dark Fleet Will Come To Conquer Your Planets.
upsurper
Novice
Novice

Return to Technical Stuff