authenticated mods

Where modders get to tear my game apart when I *finally* release the tools

authenticated mods

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Will there be any support for authenticating that a user can use a mod, beyond making it dependant upon any official mods/DLC that require authentication? (e.g. making a mod dependant on a kickstarter feature/item).

Three parts to this query, first two on the assumption that kickstarter exclusives are implemented via authenticated DLC/mods:
  1. Only enabling a mod to be loaded if the user has a kickstarter-exclusive item (such as engraved bowls for named pets)
  2. Providing alternative content if the user is the "owner" of unique kickstarter content (unique dialog reacting differently to barkeeps/innkeeper vs. other players, altered book text relating to plants/recipes)
  3. Arbitrary authentication via oauth/ouath2/other decentralised API (not something I'm particularly fussed about, but I would imagine some community sites might like to give users "exclusives")
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: authenticated mods

PostPosted by Vance » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm thinking that the KickStarter exclusives won't be modifiable so they stay exclusive to the people that paid for them.

It would be foolish to require an exclusive that only a select few people will have access to. :|
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Railboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 pm

So kickstarter exclusive content isn't going to be authenticated, that solves part of the problem; What about having mods that react different based on the presence of other mods- either via whatever mono addins supports or some other mod loading system?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm

What about having mods that react different based on the presence of other mods- either via whatever mono addins supports or some other mod loading system?

Predictions about this stuff like this are hard at this stage. There's just no way to tell what the final system will look like this early, and I don't want to cause confusion by talking about things being such-and-such a way before I even know if that's really the case. But keep an eye on my development blog - I'll be posting about mods frequently.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:25 pm

For a reason why having mods that can react differently based on the presence of other mods, I refer you to the different "editions" of various Skyrim mods (versions that're for vanilla skyrim, versions that require DLC etc.)- I could foresee this making it easier for developers to manage extensive mod projects.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:For a reason why having mods that can react differently based on the presence of other mods, I refer you to the different "editions" of various Skyrim mods (versions that're for vanilla skyrim, versions that require DLC etc.)- I could foresee this making it easier for developers to manage extensive mod projects.

Don't get me wrong I totally understand the need to address this. I just don't have any answers yet.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Railboy wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:For a reason why having mods that can react differently based on the presence of other mods, I refer you to the different "editions" of various Skyrim mods (versions that're for vanilla skyrim, versions that require DLC etc.)- I could foresee this making it easier for developers to manage extensive mod projects.

Don't get me wrong I totally understand the need to address this. I just don't have any answers yet.

Good things come to those who wait :D
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Return to Modding Central