Books on bookshelves

Engine, AI, scripting, that sort of thing.

Books on bookshelves

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Can we put books on bookshelves?

If yes, will they be physics-enabled, or will they be statically displayed on the shelves so they won't accidentally fall off?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

Re: Books on bookshelves

PostPosted by Vance » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 am

I am hoping objects will be static so it won't bog the pc down and allow for more extensive modifications.
If the object turns into a physics enabled object for a brief moment after the player interacts with that object, I think that would be cool.
But if not, static all the way for miscelaneous objects.

If Frontiers is coded to support 64 bit computers, I think physics could be more prevalent because the game could utilize more system ram.
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Toyan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 am

Even just something like they have in Skyrim would do. Where you add the books to the shelf inventory, and when you are done, the books are all lined up nice and neat. I like neatness in my games (my flat is a mess, but my abodes in games are immaculate!).
"Nostalgia is heroin for old people." - Dara O'Briain
Toyan
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Toyan wrote:Even just something like they have in Skyrim would do. Where you add the books to the shelf inventory, and when you are done, the books are all lined up nice and neat. I like neatness in my games (my flat is a mess, but my abodes in games are immaculate!).

I just checked; Skyrim's bookshelves are actually physically simulated, but they're "locked" into the shelf- they can be rearranged but not pulled out- this differs from arbitrary shelves, where items are merely placed there.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:54 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:
I just checked; Skyrim's bookshelves are actually physically simulated, but they're "locked" into the shelf- they can be rearranged but not pulled out- this differs from arbitrary shelves, where items are merely placed there.

I quite like that system, it certainly makes lining them up a nice, simple, and automatic process! I probably wouldn't have the patience to do it manually!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by DWMagus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Toyan wrote:Even just something like they have in Skyrim would do. Where you add the books to the shelf inventory, and when you are done, the books are all lined up nice and neat. I like neatness in my games (my flat is a mess, but my abodes in games are immaculate!).

I think this would have to be answered by how much interaction we have with a home/object. I mean, we aren't playing Librarian Tycoon afterall (although, I would play that game!). :lol:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by TrackerTaz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm a Huge collector of books in Skyrim !! I got a mod for it that had so many bookcases that I could use a case for each letter :biggrin: I love my library. It was in some ruins that I got to repair.
TrackerTaz
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Josiah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:

I also enjoy the Skyrim system. It would be nice if it was implemented like that in Frontiers.
Josiah
Rock Namer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Josiah wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:

I also enjoy the Skyrim system. It would be nice if it was implemented like that in Frontiers.

It would be nice if shelves were implemented like that for everything, not just books :)
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Zolana » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:11 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:
It would be nice if shelves were implemented like that for everything, not just books :)

And stuff like the display cases in Skyrim too? :)
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Zolana

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Zolana wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:

And stuff like the display cases in Skyrim too? :)

I haven't checked display cases recently; aren't they just a box with a lid on & fully simulated, physics-wise?
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Vance » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 pm

I hate Skyrim's system.

I prefer Morrowind's item placing system (including books) where it lets the player drop items anywhere he or she wants to.

I dislike automated systems. >.<
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Vance wrote:I hate Skyrim's system.

I prefer Morrowind's item placing system (including books) where it lets the player drop items anywhere he or she wants to.

I dislike automated systems. >.<

An automated system that we're thinking of here would preserve aesthetics by preventing items from being knocked off if you have deliberately placed them somewhere.
Last edited by SignpostMarv on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Zolana » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:13 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:
An automated system that we're thinking of here would preserve aesthetics by prevent items from being knocked off if you have deliberately placed them somewhere.

This is exactly why I liked the Skyrim system. Imagine the time and effort it would take to replace them if they fell off!
-Zolana

Zolana

Return to Technical Stuff