The Excitement Of Oblivion: Thread Of Elder Scrolls Memories

From Arena to Skyrim... and beyond!

The Excitement Of Oblivion: Thread Of Elder Scrolls Memories

PostPosted by Rhymes McFist » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I was looking at some of the other threads here and I started reminiscing on when I first got interested in the games, which was when Oblivion was coming out. I had a moment of "holy crap, was I in middle school when it was released?" I remember reading the same Game Informer article over and over (I can still picture the few screenshots in it), my friend telling me about all the cool things he had done, and while I don't remember when I finally got it - I think it was a few years later - I do have countless memories of inhabiting the world that had been waiting for me. To me, it's the best game at making me feel like I can do anything.
Anyway, I thought it might be cool to see some other people's memories, from within The Elder Scrolls games or simply surrounding them.
"Endeavor to cherish each other unequivocally" -- Jerry Holkins
Rhymes McFist
Baked Potato

Re: The Excitement Of Oblivion: Thread Of Elder Scrolls Memo

PostPosted by Tokage » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:34 pm

I can't get into Oblivion anymore because the character models look so stupid.

I love both Morrowind and Skyrim, though.
Tokage
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by Arithial » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm

I generally love the world that Beth created in The Elder Scrolls series, but there are three things I will always remember:
1. The memories of going through all the Telvanni Quests in Morrowind. It got greatly strengthened with some mods.
2. Playing through the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion. I normally dislike Oblivion for many reasons, but the Dark Brotherhood quests were the few things done extremely well in Oblivion.
3. The whole Shivering Isles expansion pack/DLC. I do not think I have to say much.

While Skyrim has beautiful graphic, I find the game extremely boring, even with the army of mods I use.
We from the Chaos Salute you...
We From The Darkness Accept you...
We From The Light Reject you forever...
Arithial
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted by Rhymes McFist » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:20 pm

I found the modding community around Skyrim to be really impressive, but I got overzealous and my game got a little bogged down and glitchy. Guards refused to take me to jail when I surrendered, which some would call a benefit, but I would call a tragic waste of the Life in Prison mod.
"Endeavor to cherish each other unequivocally" -- Jerry Holkins
Rhymes McFist
Baked Potato

PostPosted by Tokage » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Admittedly, it kind of is. It's got its own charm, but both Morrowind and Oblivion did a lot of things much better.

In particular, the faction quest lines are disappointing. They all involve some massive epic plot against the entire faction, and result in the player going through a grand "awesome" plot that lasts for all of five quests or so and always ends up with you in charge. At least in Oblivion, which had a similar problem, the questlines were longer and had some genuinely interesting missions - especially in the Dark Brotherhood one. In Skyrim they just manage to be boring.

On the other hand, Skyrim has the best world, in my opinion: it's actually varied and different depending on where you go, not to mention extremely pretty and with some great views. Morrowind was good too, but it doesn't look that great anymore, and feels a little same-y wherever you go - and Oblivion actually is basically the exact same: as soon as you get outside from the Imperial prison and get your first glimpse at the grass and water, you've basically seen it all.
Tokage
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted by DWMagus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:38 am

Rhymes McFist wrote:I found the modding community around Skyrim to be really impressive, but I got overzealous and my game got a little bogged down and glitchy. Guards refused to take me to jail when I surrendered, which some would call a benefit, but I would call a tragic waste of the Life in Prison mod.

Obligatory.

Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by Zolana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:07 pm

DWMagus wrote:
Obligatory.

This made me laugh. A lot!
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

Return to The Elder Scrolls