Mod Distribution

Where modders get to tear my game apart when I *finally* release the tools

Mod Distribution

PostPosted by Paronity » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:21 am

Are there any plans or details on how the mods will be handled and/or distributed? Is there going to be stuff in game to manage them, a site to manage them, or will it be strictly 3rd party tools and management of them?
Paronity
Butterfly Painter

Re: Mod Distribution

PostPosted by deadmansprice » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 am

If 3rd party, why not this? http://www.nexusmods.com/ - I use Skyrim mods from that site. Pretty reliable and awesome :D
The more you know, the more you realize you know so little...
deadmansprice
Butterfly Painter

PostPosted by Railboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 am

Are there any plans or details on how the mods will be handled and/or distributed?

Lots of plans - broadly speaking my goal is to make it simple - but very few details. Too many pieces have to come together before I can make firm predictions.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm

One assumes if you get steam workshop support built in, that steam will be a distribution channel :D
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by John Klebba » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:One assumes if you get steam workshop support built in, that steam will be a distribution channel :D

The problem with workshop is that it provides no conflict resolution ability, like load order management or merging. If this game is as modable as it sounds, I'm expecting a TES level of variety, and conflict resolution is a must.

Whatever Lars has up his sleeve should be good. If it proves to be unfeasible, there's always Nexus.
John Klebba
Baked Potato

PostPosted by Paronomasia » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:43 pm

John Klebba wrote:The problem with workshop is that it provides no conflict resolution ability, like load order management or merging. If this game is as modable as it sounds, I'm expecting a TES level of variety, and conflict resolution is a must.

Whatever Lars has up his sleeve should be good. If it proves to be unfeasible, there's always Nexus.

This.

As long as it doesn't require their mod manager. I miss when it was stand-alone and offline, I do... :sorry:

Luckily it works manually too (and with other tools). :biggrin:

So, if possible, I would like to see a independent solution of others, but I understand the need to keep cost down and facilitate it too.
This is a placeholder for something witty and clever that will both amuse and confuse you.
Paronomasia
Exploring New Fontiers
Exploring New Fontiers

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:09 pm

John Klebba wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:One assumes if you get steam workshop support built in, that steam will be a distribution channel :D

The problem with workshop is that it provides no conflict resolution ability, like load order management or merging. If this game is as modable as it sounds, I'm expecting a TES level of variety, and conflict resolution is a must.

Skyrim has a built in load-order tweaking thing. It's not automatic, but it works.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Vance » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:38 pm

I prefer Nexus Mods over Steam Workshop for many reasons.

Manual installation and higher file size limits being the top two reasons.

I DO NOT like automatic installations of single player modifications because it can be incompatible with another mod and break your entire game.

If Frontiers comes with a user friendly manual installation program that can hold up to more than 200 mods, I'll be a happy camper.

But please, at least make Nexus Mods an option, because many people (including myself) prefer it's usability and open source structure.

Less DRM is always a good thing for the consumers. (Not always a good thing for developers though)
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 pm

For c# stuff, Mono Addins might be handy? http://www.mono-project.com/Mono.Addins

It should help with dependencies & possibly automatic load order to some degree.
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Railboy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 pm

SignpostMarv wrote:For c# stuff, Mono Addins might be handy? http://www.mono-project.com/Mono.Addins

It should help with dependencies & possibly automatic load order to some degree.

I'm looking into this possibility.

SignpostMarv - when do you sleep? You're on top of everything.

Also - I haven't committed to going with Steam Workshop yet. It's cool and I like the system, but I want to make sure it doesn't interfere with my DRM-free distribution plans. (Yes yes, I know SW isn't DRM in and of itself. There are other issues I have to consider.)
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Railboy wrote:
SignpostMarv wrote:For c# stuff, Mono Addins might be handy? http://www.mono-project.com/Mono.Addins

Also - I haven't committed to going with Steam Workshop yet. It's cool and I like the system, but I want to make sure it doesn't interfere with my DRM-free distribution plans. (Yes yes, I know SW isn't DRM in and of itself. There are other issues I have to consider.)

My sleep cycle is a little skewif of late. I'm currently in Quebec
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by mmaas7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Railboy wrote:

I love your philosophy on DRM.
mmaas7
Novice
Novice

PostPosted by TanC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:27 am

After how Harebrained Schemes handled the Shadowrun Returns fragmentation, I'm very particular on how mods will be distributed. Glad you're not looking to fragment your userbase. :)
TanC
Dungeon Crawler

Return to Modding Central