my book idea

You can find everything down there. Except potatoes.

my book idea

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm in the process of formulating an idea which was originally bomzulu's, OK, this is what I have so far, so comments are welcome, and bomzulu can chip in if he wants something added or changed.

I have PM Lars about the island that we can name, he replied to say, while there is lore about the island, however anything past around 100 years ago, is open ended, also it includes an estate, which I probably might use, there is also a forest on it too, which helps.

the other maybe small stumbling block is magic, Lars said there is a darkside to it, but might not be as dark as I would like, but having some lore on it, would certainly be useful, then I can see what I have to work with.

but anyway, I have some ideas, so again feedback / comments are welcome,

I intend to use the unknown author in his middle years 25 / 30m after he left the pathfinders guild. he wondered around and came across an inn, (as bomzulu wanted to tie the story with the island and his inn) so there he witnesses something that either he shouldn't have or just interested him more. a group of cultists trying to unlock the secrets of the dark side of the magic, but also maybe some kind of animal sacrifice (which they believed might have helped, even if its possible it might not have but who knows)

however, the village or town that the inn was at, the inhabitants probably knew something was going on, and at some point, decided to drive out the cultists, so the cultists wondered around for a bit, and thanks to the unknown author, found this island, it had an estate, but probably less ruined then what the player finds it in, they fix the place up a bit, and they build shacks and other structures for worship.

this goes fine, until there is a split, there won't be that many cultists, I think about 40 / 50 not a high figure, I was thinking 40, and at some point, there is a split / tensions between the groups, one side who fully intend to carry on with their evil doings, while the other realising they are way over their heads and tried to stop the first. I'm also thinking of maybe have a group of soldiers whose orders are to kill all the cultists, leave no survivors and razing as much as possible to the ground.

as for the unknown author, I'm thinking he could have been away at the time, and seeing everything go up in smoke, runs for his life, he also assumed of what he has done, what he was part of, and writes the book and hides it, not to copy the events, but as a warning, to make sure the same events never happen again

that is my thinking, and what I have so far done. I done a bit or work on the story, not much, as I'm still working out the details, but I hope it make it dark and hopefully gripping while not breaking the lore, so anyway, that is as far as I have got

thoughts? comments?

@Lars
would you allow human sacrifices? so that the cultists think its helping when it probably isn't, as this could tie in with soldiers ordered kill the cultists, as people (not children) are going missing, and the solders were ordered to find the reason why people where going missing. I'm thinking the sacrifices might appear to be linked with magic, to make it stronger and more powerful, but in reality, has no bearing at all with making it stronger, as I don't want to break the lore, if you say human sacrifices are a no, then maybe some animal? but something like this would be interesting to pursue, but its your call
matthewfarmery
Engineer

Re: my book idea

PostPosted by Zolana » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Great idea!

On the magic front, perhaps they could have found some ancient spell thingy and translated it wrong/misinterpreted an ancient prophesy, which (they mistakenly believe) would allow them to bring a deceased evil cult leader/an appropriate villain back from the dead by sacrificng a human/animal?

The storyteller himself may have been the person who was to be sacrificed, before escaping in a daring and (quite literally) death defying manner.

Perhaps the cultists are pursuing him, and so as you said, the book could be a warning to those who would be interested in dabbling in rather sinister magic, or mixing with unsavoury individuals?

Just a few possible ideas, although of course it's your story :).
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Feel free to add me on Steam, but PM me here so I know who is adding me :)!
Zolana

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:13 pm

some good ideas there, I will take them into consideration, I was thinking, while in the letter, the author mentioned he never married, and only the village mayor's daughter had some interest in hum, but he polity declined her.

I was thinking he could have had another affair, but it ended badly, and because it was connected to his dark past, he never mentiones it in the letter, and that it might be she who gets sacrificed. not sure yet, I'm still working on a few details, on how dark the magic system for frontiers will be, but yeah, I'm thinking that it could be this crazed cultist leader who might have find some books, but misinterprets them, and starts thinking that to make the magic stronger, human sacrifices are needed, and gets his crazed followers to believe him. I think I can make the story pretty dark, and without breaking too much magic lore, (fingers crossed)

so there are a few directions, the story could go in
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:it might be she who gets sacrificed.

Good thinking! Could be part of why he decides to quit the cult I guess?
-Zolana

Generic ramblings about life, the universe, and everything: http://awjc.wordpress.com

Zolana

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:27 pm

plus more reason he is ashamed of his name, or why he doesn't want to reveal himself, first because of his father, and secondary because of joining a cult that killed another woman that he might have fell in love with, I'm also thinking that she might have been sacrificed to be made an example of, maybe because of the affair between her and the unknown author, and the cult forbidden it? or she did something else wrong to make the cult leader angry, so there are a few ideas
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:30 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:plus more reason he is ashamed of his name, or why he doesn't want to reveal himself, first because of his father, and secondary because of joining a cult that killed another woman that he might have fell in love with, I'm also thinking that she might have been sacrificed to be made an example of, maybe because of the affair between her and the unknown author, and the cult forbidden it? or she did something else wrong to make the cult leader angry, so there are a few ideas

All brilliant stuff I reckon!
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

I have motivated myself to write some more, its not going to write itself, but anyway here is what I have got so far, comments and suggestions welcome

Hello stranger, you have found a book that charts a dark portion of my life. While there would be those that would seek to destroy this book, others might hope to read some dark passages, to re-enact the events that unfolded those many years ago. But I will not say those deadly words, better for the words to remain truly forgotten. Then dear reader, you might be asking, why write this book? The answer is, as a warning, both for you, and the rest of [world name] so that the events never happen again.
The following events take place after I left the pathfinders guild, I will not go too deeply into the reasons for leaving the guild, and perhaps you may find another book about this? What I can say is, one reason for leaving the guild, was magic. Magic is a strange thing, not everyone can use it, it's full of mystery, and some have tried to understand it better, others have tried to probe its hidden depths, but a small minority have tried to go one farther, tapping into the dark side of it, and using fear and illusion to create a cult. It is this cult, I had personal dealings with, and it also took the only person I gave a damn about, a woman I cared deeply for.
I should start at the beginning. The old man wasn't too impressed by me leaving the pathfinders guild, it was originally his idea for me to join it, so I could be someone, but he cared little for me, and I felt he forced me into the guild as a way of getting rid of me. I wasn't impressed by him and he clearly couldn't stand me either. So when I came home and announced that I left the guild, he got so angry, he started to chuck things in my general direction, but most stuff missed as he was clearly drunk at the time, so I left him and the guild far behind.

But what the pathfiners guild taught me was invaluable, I had with me, a small hunting knife, a small bow, and a small rucksack, and some other odds and ends that I managed to get before I left. I didn't steal them, but I had full intention of returning the items one day. The Wilderness became my new home, I perfected my aim with the bow, was able to get a killing shot about roughly 50 yards. I was able to survive on my wits, mostly keeping out of trouble from predators and bandits alike. But there were some times I was forced to find a village or town, or I slip through them quietly, while quietly borrowing some items along my way. I'm not proud of doing that, but I had no home, I couldn't go back, so finding clothes and other essential items were crucial to my survival now.

It was during one night, while passing through a [village or town where the inn is located] I stumbled across something I should have left well alone, but my curiosity got the better of me. Some six sense told me something was wrong, the very air felt cold to the touch, but there was something else, I could not put my finger on it. I went to a window and peaked in, what I saw sent chills through my spine. Inside the room were six figures around a circle, they had hoods over their heads, I could not hear what they were saying then came a blinding flash, It knocked me backwards with surprise, I tripped over something and made a noise, that clearly alerted them, and next thing I knew, they were on me.

------------------

it's far from complete, and there is still a great deal to write, I just hope I can do this
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Railboy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 pm

Hey - looks like you're chipping away, nice. I have only one major concern with the setup, namely the number of cultists. You were thinking 40-50; that's probably too large for them not to leave major traces in this game world. (And unfortunately the only trace of them is in your book.) If you bumped that down to 8-10, that implausibility would go away. (Same with the human sacrifices - you could get away with a small handful, but any more than that would seem implausible.)

Otherwise carry on! Curious to see how this ends up.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Gazz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 pm

...or come up with an explanation for why it wasn't noticed at the time and left no great historic traces afterwards.

If an annoying problem is difficult to solve, change the problem. =)
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club. - XKCD
Gazz
Henchman
Henchman

PostPosted by bomzulu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:03 am

HOLE COW, Matt your rocking my socks off right now! :cool: You def are my book writer from now on !
Bomzulu -- Can you survive?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dyllinaleluia.com
http://blog.dyllinaleluia.com *NOW WORKING*
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by Vance » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am

matthewfarmery wrote:I'm in the process of formulating an idea which was originally bomzulu's, OK, this is what I have so far, so comments are welcome, and bomzulu can chip in if he wants something added or changed.

I have PM Lars about the island that we can name, he replied to say, while there is lore about the island, however anything past around 100 years ago, is open ended, also it includes an estate, which I probably might use, there is also a forest on it too, which helps.

the other maybe small stumbling block is magic, Lars said there is a darkside to it, but might not be as dark as I would like, but having some lore on it, would certainly be useful, then I can see what I have to work with.

but anyway, I have some ideas, so again feedback / comments are welcome,

I intend to use the unknown author in his middle years 25 / 30m after he left the pathfinders guild. he wondered around and came across an inn, (as bomzulu wanted to tie the story with the island and his inn) so there he witnesses something that either he shouldn't have or just interested him more. a group of cultists trying to unlock the secrets of the dark side of the magic, but also maybe some kind of animal sacrifice (which they believed might have helped, even if its possible it might not have but who knows)

however, the village or town that the inn was at, the inhabitants probably knew something was going on, and at some point, decided to drive out the cultists, so the cultists wondered around for a bit, and thanks to the unknown author, found this island, it had an estate, but probably less ruined then what the player finds it in, they fix the place up a bit, and they build shacks and other structures for worship.

this goes fine, until there is a split, there won't be that many cultists, I think about 40 / 50 not a high figure, I was thinking 40, and at some point, there is a split / tensions between the groups, one side who fully intend to carry on with their evil doings, while the other realising they are way over their heads and tried to stop the first. I'm also thinking of maybe have a group of soldiers whose orders are to kill all the cultists, leave no survivors and razing as much as possible to the ground.

as for the unknown author, I'm thinking he could have been away at the time, and seeing everything go up in smoke, runs for his life, he also assumed of what he has done, what he was part of, and writes the book and hides it, not to copy the events, but as a warning, to make sure the same events never happen again

that is my thinking, and what I have so far done. I done a bit or work on the story, not much, as I'm still working out the details, but I hope it make it dark and hopefully gripping while not breaking the lore, so anyway, that is as far as I have got

thoughts? comments?

@Lars
would you allow human sacrifices? so that the cultists think its helping when it probably isn't, as this could tie in with soldiers ordered kill the cultists, as people (not children) are going missing, and the solders were ordered to find the reason why people where going missing. I'm thinking the sacrifices might appear to be linked with magic, to make it stronger and more powerful, but in reality, has no bearing at all with making it stronger, as I don't want to break the lore, if you say human sacrifices are a no, then maybe some animal? but something like this would be interesting to pursue, but its your call

I think the human sacrifices should be toned down. If you want to include them, only give hints.
And I think the # of different cults should be cut into a fraction of what you have now.

Otherwise, excellent! I can't wait to find your book in Frontiers; don't give too many spoilers. :3
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
Vance
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 am

OK I will tone down the amount of cultists, np, I thought 40 to 50 would have been a good number, but you are right, its probably too many, I was thinking when the split happened there will be a lot of action, I was hoping to have a nice round figure, but I will see what I can do, as for human sacrifices, there will be some, I wasn't going to do a large amount anyway, as the disappearances of the people would get noticed, and soldiers / and a tracker would find thhe island and deal with the problem.

I got a few directions where this could go,

@ bomzulu
you didn't reply to me PM, I need the inn name and also the cult name, so please provide me with that, so I can add them in

and I hope to do the book justice, I will carry on writing it in bits, but no idea how big it will end up as. but anyway, comments and feedback welcome
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Inn name: The Void / VOID / The Blood Moves / Exiled Circle
Cult Name: Shadow Trust / Mist Walkers / Inevitable Shadow / Silent Star

Give me some feedback Matt tell me what you like. We can name it together since you are doing such a great job on the book.

matthewfarmery wrote:OK I will tone down the amount of cultists, np, I thought 40 to 50 would have been a good number, but you are right, its probably too many, I was thinking when the split happened there will be a lot of action, I was hoping to have a nice round figure, but I will see what I can do, as for human sacrifices, there will be some, I wasn't going to do a large amount anyway, as the disappearances of the people would get noticed, and soldiers / and a tracker would find thhe island and deal with the problem.

I got a few directions where this could go,

@ bomzulu
you didn't reply to me PM, I need the inn name and also the cult name, so please provide me with that, so I can add them in

and I hope to do the book justice, I will carry on writing it in bits, but no idea how big it will end up as. but anyway, comments and feedback welcome
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Exiled Circle sounds good for a inn name, I think that is what I will use, and Shadow Trust sounds like a good name for a cult,

for the inn, I'm thinking that the inn got named as Exiled Circle as a joke by the inn keeper, as the inn might have had some made up history, and the inn keeper was using it as a way to draw in the crowds, something happened here and it has connections to the cult or maybe some ghost sightings, (but all made up) so people would come to visit to stay a night, get some background on the inn, that kind of thing, and if the person was alone, they might be a unwilling sacrifice victim, would be too risky if there was a couple or a group. that would ask too many questions.

but unknown to most, the inn was the centre for Exiled Circle, but the town or village started to get suspicious, and started to realise something wasn't right about the place. so by the time the unknown author got there, the town or village was getting fearful, and was ready to make the cult move

as for the inn keeper, I will make it so that while he ran the inn, he really didn't have anything to do with the place, that way he can have his own tombstone, no point doing any of the cultists, but the inn keeper would be a good one for the twomstone, just needs a name, male or female, but male might be better

now I have a small problem, as I don't know the location of this town or village, or what the terrain will be like, so that is a bit of a stumbling block, I would like to see a more detailed map of the area with towns and villages, then at least get an eye where this inn will be and how far it will be from the island, so really, without that knowledge, I'm a bit stuck
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Sounds good to me Matt.

great work!

All that sounds very good.

As for the inn keeper i want him to have my name Dyllin Aleluia or my name in Elvish lol which is Elessar Tinúviel.

I would shout Lars a PM about the location of my inn and island. Just say your writing a book with me and we need to know some more info for the back story.!

matthewfarmery wrote:Exiled Circle sounds good for a inn name, I think that is what I will use, and Shadow Trust sounds like a good name for a cult,

for the inn, I'm thinking that the inn got named as Exiled Circle as a joke by the inn keeper, as the inn might have had some made up history, and the inn keeper was using it as a way to draw in the crowds, something happened here and it has connections to the cult or maybe some ghost sightings, (but all made up) so people would come to visit to stay a night, get some background on the inn, that kind of thing, and if the person was alone, they might be a unwilling sacrifice victim, would be too risky if there was a couple or a group. that would ask too many questions.

but unknown to most, the inn was the centre for Exiled Circle, but the town or village started to get suspicious, and started to realise something wasn't right about the place. so by the time the unknown author got there, the town or village was getting fearful, and was ready to make the cult move

as for the inn keeper, I will make it so that while he ran the inn, he really didn't have anything to do with the place, that way he can have his own tombstone, no point doing any of the cultists, but the inn keeper would be a good one for the twomstone, just needs a name, male or female, but male might be better

now I have a small problem, as I don't know the location of this town or village, or what the terrain will be like, so that is a bit of a stumbling block, I would like to see a more detailed map of the area with towns and villages, then at least get an eye where this inn will be and how far it will be from the island, so really, without that knowledge, I'm a bit stuck
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 pm

sounds good, so we not going to use the island that we can name? as its the same island for everyone, but lars would be happy if we did use another island, in that case, more details are needed,

just added your chosen name to a text file so I don't forget
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm

everyone gets the same island.... thought i got my own! i want to name it !

matthewfarmery wrote:sounds good, so we not going to use the island that we can name? as its the same island for everyone, but lars would be happy if we did use another island, in that case, more details are needed,

just added your chosen name to a text file so I don't forget
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 pm

you can still name it, but its locally, so everyone with the island tier can name the same island differently, yeah I thought it was different islands for each, but no, that is why it wasn't a limited reward
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:51 am

Okay. Well then maybe we shall just make it about the inn and the area that the inn is placed in. I still need to name my island time to think!
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 am

well the island would be a good idea, it could be named by the cultists once they find the island, as its home for them

so for island names, I will see if I can come up with a few suggestions

ok some suggestions for the island name

Island of Shadows
Island of Fear
Island of the Damned

trying to think of other names that have a dark and cultist feel to itm I will see iif I can come up with a few more, but I do like island of shadows, unless anyone else has better ideas?
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:01 pm

How bout,

isle of Shadows

matthewfarmery wrote:well the island would be a good idea, it could be named by the cultists once they find the island, as its home for them

so for island names, I will see if I can come up with a few suggestions

ok some suggestions for the island name

Island of Shadows
Island of Fear
Island of the Damned

trying to think of other names that have a dark and cultist feel to itm I will see iif I can come up with a few more, but I do like island of shadows, unless anyone else has better ideas?
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm

even better, will use it, sounds creepy, and a good name to boot, that way she each have credit to the name
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm

sounds good :D

matthewfarmery wrote:even better, will use it, sounds creepy, and a good name to boot, that way she each have credit to the name
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm

ok some more progress on the dook

----------------------

Hello stranger, you have found a book that charts a dark portion of my life. While there would be those that would seek to destroy this book, others might hope to read some dark passages, to re-enact the events that unfolded those many years ago. However, I will not say those deadly words, better for the words to remain truly forgotten. Then dear reader, you might be asking, why write this book? The answer is, as a warning, for both you, and the rest of [world name] so that the events never happen again.

The following events take place after I left the pathfinders guild, I will not go too deeply into the reasons for leaving the guild, and perhaps you may find another book about this? What I can say is, one reason for leaving the guild, was magic. Magic is a strange thing, not everyone can use it, it's full of mystery, and some have tried to understand it better, others have tried to probe its hidden depths, but a small minority have tried to go one farther, tapping into the dark side of it, and using fear and illusion to create a cult. It is this cult, I had personal dealings with, and it took the only person I truly gave a damn about, a woman I cared deeply for.
I should start at the beginning. The old man wasn't too impressed by me leaving the pathfinders guild, it was originally his idea for me to join it, so I could be someone, but he cared little for me, and I felt he forced me into the guild as a way of getting rid of me. I wasn't impressed by him and he clearly couldn't stand me either. So when I came home and announced that I left the guild, he got so angry, he started to chuck things in my general direction, but most stuff missed as he was clearly drunk at the time, so I left him and the guild far behind.

But what the pathfiners guild taught me was invaluable, I had with me, a small hunting knife, a small bow, and a small rucksack, and some other odds and ends that I managed to get before I left. I didn't steal them, but I had full intention of returning the items back one day. The Wilderness became my new home, I perfected my aim with the bow, was able to get a killing shot about roughly 50 yards. I was able to survive on my wits, mostly keeping out of trouble from predators and bandits alike. But there were some times I was forced to find a village or town, or I slip through them quietly, while quietly borrowing some items along my way. I'm not proud of doing that, but I had no home, I couldn't go back, so finding clothes and other essential items were crucial to my survival now.

It was during one night, while passing through a [village or town where the inn is located] I stumbled across something I should have left well alone, but my curiosity got the better of me. Some six sense told me something was wrong, the very air felt cold to the touch, but there was something else, I could not put my finger on it. I went to a window and peaked in, what I saw sent chills through my spine. Inside the room were six hooded figures around a circle, I could not hear what they were saying, then came a blinding flash, It knocked me backwards with surprise, I tripped over something and made a noise, that clearly alerted them, and next thing I knew, they were upon me.

What saved me was the innkeeper, this large figure of a man, also got awakened by the noise. The cultists probably would have killed me, but there were others coming from the village, so the cultists bundled me inside the inn. The innkeeper was arguing with the cultist leader. I didn't hear much, but the innkeeper was clearly getting fed up with having a bunch of cultists at his inn. I heard the name of Dyllin Aleluia been mentioned, perhaps that the name of the innkeeper? I overheard some other bits and pieces, Exiled Circle, and the innkeeper changing the name to draw in the crowds. However, something hit me in the back of the head and I knew no more.

When I awoke, my hands were tied behind my back, and we where no longer in the inn, there was a figure around a small camp fire, the figure looked at me and pulled back the hood to reveal a face. My eyesight was still fairly blurred, but the figure came to me, and pushed a cup to my lips,
“Drink this,” she said “but don't talk, you are still in great danger, our leader hasn't decided what to do with you yet”
I drank the warm liquid and it soothed my pains, and my vision slowly returned. However, it also made me very sleepy, I closed my eyes and knew no more until I awake until the following day.

When I came too, I was tied, I overheard bits, but the voices where a bit too far for me to hear. I guess they where deciding what to do with me I guess, someone noticed me, and the figures approached, I tried to look up at them, but found it hard to move. One of the figures spoke in a dark tone, I don't remember much of what he said, I guess I was still drowsy from the liquid, which was clearly drugged. I saw a flash of a knife, my I pretty much knew this could be the end, but the woman who gave me the liquid stepped in front of me,
"He could be useful" he looks to be a tracker, and I suspect he might know a bit of magic."
That made the figure with the knife stop.
"Besides," she continued, "our days staying at that inn were numbered, we wouldn't have been able to stay there for much longer, the villagers were fearful of us, and sooner or later, would have ran us off. We should keep him alive for a bit longer, perhaps he could help us, as we are clearly lost in this wilderness."
This must clearly made the figures think for a bit,
"OK" said another figure "We will keep him alive for now"
I was brought to my feet and was given precious instructions, one wrong move, and I will find the knife deep in my side. What made things even more tricky, was that every so often, I could hear shouting in the distance. So we were been tracked and followed, probably by the villagers, their intention? I'm not sure, but clearly they plucked up enough courage to chasse these cultists out of the area and make sure they don't return.

We forced marched for several days, but our situation was clearly getting desperate, as the rations were getting smaller and smaller each day. I then told them, I could hunt, they didn't trust me at first, but with their rations been next to nothing, they cut my bounds and gave me my bow. I could have easy have given them the slip, I was very tempted to, but that lady stopped me somehow, I knew I wanted to be with her. So after a successful kill, I found the camp and prepared a meal. I guess they were surprised, but I told them I wanted to be with them, I told them a bit of myself, of the old man, my brief usage of magic, and my other skills and that I have no home what to speak of. I admit looking back at that day, I wonder if I could have changed things? I could have left them anytime I chose, even taking the woman with me if she wanted to come. Why did I stay with them? I couldn't answer that then, or now.

However, as I stayed with them, I got to know them a bit, the lady who saved my life, was called Virginia May. She was the daughter of a prosperous land owner, but Virginia didn't want to follow in her father's footsteps. He wasn't happy with having a girl taking over his wealth, her parents tried several times to have another child, hopping for a boy. However, after a couple of miscarriages, and the final miscarriage killing her mother, as the doctor did a terrible job of trying to remove the child from the womb. Ever since then, her father resented her, so she ran away from home at the tender age of 14. Somewhere she survived by stealing, but then one unsuccessful attempt landed her in trouble, for it was the pocket of the cult leader.

At first he was OK, she said, but later once he setup the cult, and try to explore the dark and hidden depths of magic. He became cold and heartless. But there was no question of escape, she was bound to him, and it was through fear that stopped her trying to leave.

------------

comments and suggestions welcome, I'm slowly getting there, but still a fair bit to go yet
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Looks good Matt! Will be great to see this story in game (especially with all the links to everything else)!
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm

yeah, hopefully, it's turning into a epic, but at least it gives people a chance to read it and comment on it. I'm enjoying writing it, even if its a bit slow going, I still going some directions where this could branch off, but I do have a more clear idea where I'm heading now. so Virginia May is a slave, while she has some knowledge of the dark arts, she doesn't know much, but its through fear she stay with the cult leader.

It's tricky not seeing a map of the world, as its hard to say how long their journey will be to the island, or what the tarrain is like, I guess I could skip that and say they stumbled upon this island by chance, then setup camp there. but I will keep writing it, I do intend to finish this
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Yeah, the plot's pretty sound! I look forward to see how the rest of it pans out.

Maybe you could PM Lars to see if he could help you out on the world map front?
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

good idea, as its what I'm really missing, so hopefully something can be sorted out, buut yeah I need the world map, as I'm going to strugle without one
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:good idea, as its what I'm really missing, so hopefully something can be sorted out, buut yeah I need the world map, as I'm going to strugle without one

There's the small world map he posted somewhere (possibly on a ks update?), but I'm assuming you want something more detailed/with more labels on?
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm

-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 pm

yes, but it doesn't include towns and villages, that is the issue, I PM lars, and he said that there will be a detailed world map with the lore kit, just hope it includes a lot more detail then that current map provides
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by Zolana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 pm

matthewfarmery wrote:yes, but it doesn't include towns and villages, that is the issue, I PM lars, and he said that there will be a detailed world map with the lore kit, just hope it includes a lot more detail then that current map provides

Ah yeah, that's fair enough. Glad Lars will give you a more detailed one. Hopefully it'll cover what you need :).
-Zolana

Zolana

PostPosted by bomzulu » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm

HOLY COW BATMAN, that sounds good!.

But dont make me out so much to be a dick lol....
I can be evil but not so mean ahahah.

Good job matt!

matthewfarmery wrote:yes, but it doesn't include towns and villages, that is the issue, I PM lars, and he said that there will be a detailed world map with the lore kit, just hope it includes a lot more detail then that current map provides
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

PostPosted by matthewfarmery » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:41 pm

I was going to write a small back story for your character, but realised it wouldn't work, as the unknown author wouldn't know anything about you / innkeeper, but I think I have a way around that, as the woman could at some point give some detail into how they came across the inn, and provide some back story too it

something like this

the innkeeper wasn't doing very well financially, so he changed the name of the inn to draw in the crowds, it was his plan to make it out that the inn had a back story of its own, that it was haunted, so people would come to investigate. At some point the innkeeper find hidden passages or maybe he made them himself? he would hide in one such passage making strange and frighting noises. this of course made the place popular for tourists and the like, unfortunately some kids found at least one passage and the innkeeper had to bride them to shut them up, or scare them senseless. the worked for one year (maybe less) until the cult find out about the place, they hoped with it's deep history, it would be a great place to continue practing the dark arts. but they soon realised they got conned, there was no ghosts, no history to the place, so they decided to move into the inn, and have it for themselves. While the innkeeper was pretty fearful of this cult, he knew it would only be a matter of time before he plucked up the courage to drive them off. besides, it was hurting business, as no one else would come to the inn.

I guess part of the story or something fairly close to this could be told to the author by the woman through her own observations, and overhearing conversations between the cultists and the innkeeper

I guess the innkeeper could be a darkish character in his own right, afterall it was his idea to change the inn name to bring in customers, but he never expected a cult to take up residence

----------------

hows that?
matthewfarmery
Engineer

PostPosted by bomzulu » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Sounds great Matt, you are are my writer from now on !

matthewfarmery wrote:I was going to write a small back story for your character, but realised it wouldn't work, as the unknown author wouldn't know anything about you / innkeeper, but I think I have a way around that, as the woman could at some point give some detail into how they came across the inn, and provide some back story too it

something like this

the innkeeper wasn't doing very well financially, so he changed the name of the inn to draw in the crowds, it was his plan to make it out that the inn had a back story of its own, that it was haunted, so people would come to investigate. At some point the innkeeper find hidden passages or maybe he made them himself? he would hide in one such passage making strange and frighting noises. this of course made the place popular for tourists and the like, unfortunately some kids found at least one passage and the innkeeper had to bride them to shut them up, or scare them senseless. the worked for one year (maybe less) until the cult find out about the place, they hoped with it's deep history, it would be a great place to continue practing the dark arts. but they soon realised they got conned, there was no ghosts, no history to the place, so they decided to move into the inn, and have it for themselves. While the innkeeper was pretty fearful of this cult, he knew it would only be a matter of time before he plucked up the courage to drive them off. besides, it was hurting business, as no one else would come to the inn.

I guess part of the story or something fairly close to this could be told to the author by the woman through her own observations, and overhearing conversations between the cultists and the innkeeper

I guess the innkeeper could be a darkish character in his own right, afterall it was his idea to change the inn name to bring in customers, but he never expected a cult to take up residence

----------------

hows that?
bomzulu
Blacksmith
Blacksmith

Next

Return to The Rabbit Hole