Virtuix Omni

Engine, AI, scripting, that sort of thing.

Virtuix Omni

PostPosted by AliciaSA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

So Lars, did you get an Omni before the kickstarter ended? I adore the Rift, and am working with it now, but I love the idea of adding the feeling of walking around the world to the VR experience.

Supposedly, the Omni software will translate walking motions into keystrokes, making it very easy to use in any game with the use of keybinding, but I wonder how that will work out with speed and direction. In either case, I hope it'll come standard for Frontiers!
AliciaSA
Novice
Novice

Re: Virtuix Omni

PostPosted by SignpostMarv » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:22 pm

I saw the kickstarter vids for that, I think. It's a bit on the bulky side though, yes? (I was wondering if it'd even have shoes that'd fit my feet)
SignpostMarv
Alchemist
Alchemist

PostPosted by Lolologist » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm

From what I've seen, it's supposed to be able to integrate easily to existing input methods. Native support would be neat but if Lars can't do it, we can approximate it well enough I think.
Lolologist
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by Railboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I love the Omni. Really want to support it if I can. (I have a budget set aside for it.) Support might not make it into the initial release but it'll probably happen someday.
Language is to the mind more than light is to the eye.
Railboy
Developer
Developer

PostPosted by Wollemi Pine » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm

I was looking at the Omni kickstarter, and decided not to back it. For these reasons: high cost, loud noise potential, and unknown durability. I figure also if it is indeed going to be the wave of the future, I'll get another chance to buy when it proves itself.
Wollemi Pine
Wanderer

PostPosted by gad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I like the Omni/Rift for an arcade but as a living room hobby it is a bit too much for me. Suspending disbelief and being completely immersed in the Rift is hard enough. I can't shake the feeling something is on my face after a while, and it detracts from the experience greatly. The Omni would be even worse, having that belt thing force you to stay still along with the plastic heap on your face. Plus the weird shoes... ehh. As technology progresses I can see it being amazing, when it is basically weightless and not intrusive at all. Or maybe they can make it like the VR suits from Futurama :mrgreen:

Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by DWMagus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:21 pm

@gad

I share your opinion too.

For me, unless I can get full immersion, it usually doesn't work well, since there is still the disconnect between playing and what you experience. For example, I know the Rift has head tracking, but your neck can't turn 360 degrees, and once you need to move the whole body via the keyboard, that breaks it for me. Really great idea though, and it moves us along (technologically) towards better immersion, but not enough for me to want to get it for home use. As for the Omni, I've always been wary of things like that because I'm paranoid I'm going to get tangled up in cords.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by gad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

@DW,

I'm sure it will go the way of the Google Glass and be minimalist/wireless eventually. But right now it is just super clunky and basic. The concept of VR is awesome. I will definitely buy one... eventually. If not to play games, just to do things in a more ergonomic and relaxed setting (laying down hehe :biggrin: ).

As I talk more and more with friends and people on the net about it. I realize I can't get into the stereoscopic display technology. I have these moments where I realize each eye is looking at slightly different images and it kind of "snaps" in my mind and gives me a slight pain in my eyes. I get better at ignoring it but I would rather not have to train myself to use something like this. I know each of our eyes see different images of the thing on front of us, from differing angles. But the light originates from a single source, not two different LCD screens directly in front of each eye.

I could appreciate a VR system that mimicked the way light enters your eyes more naturally. As opposed to focusing two, slightly different, light sources into each eye respectively through a lens to give the optimal effect. I feel like our eyes are good enough as it is at this. I hope a technology comes out with a single display engineered for the contour of our eyes and how they accept light naturally. I feel like this should be the motivation behind headset VR displays. As nature is a way better engineer than humans.
Quod erat demonstrandum
gad
Engineer

PostPosted by Starfia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 pm

The Omni has its pros and cons, but it's interesting because it makes me think, "neat -- the closest I'd imagined being able to come to true immersion would have required an entire room, or something much more elaborate than this." The Omni feels like it's challenging the world to think about how a physical VR setup could be even simpler than it.

While it's not exactly one-to-one with immersion, I think it's great that video games are also getting more tie-ins to exercise.

It immediately makes me think of Wii Fit free runs, and Skyward Sword -- both of which I've played a lot with a nice wall-sized projection setup. Wii Fit free runs are the simplest thing ever -- you just have a Wii Remote in your pocket acting like a pedometer, and you run. In Skyward Sword, all the sword swipes are physical, and it feels weird to play it in a position other than standing. The work left to my imagination -- filling the gap between me being all weird in my room, and me being all great in the fictional world -- is certainly less than ever.

I'd love to discover that the Omni could provide a greater overall experience, but I find myself asking what bar a VR setup has to raise in order to really top what we've got. I suspect it's a higher bar than is usually talked about.
Starfia
Bard
Bard

PostPosted by DWMagus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Starfia wrote:While it's not exactly one-to-one with immersion, I think it's great that video games are also getting more tie-ins to exercise.

To a small extent, I agree with this. I've been getting into doing a lot of running lately, and something like this would be great training/exercise for that. Imagine actually having to run around in WoW. You'd be putting plenty of miles on your shoes.

However, the biggest gripe I have, is that this is starting to get in the way of classic gaming. I purposely got Twilight Princess on gamecube because I wanted to play the game from my couch without needing to move. I could not get through Mario Galaxy on Wii because I couldn't not get the small movements correctly (the triple jump, for example)--not that I don't have good motor skills (I can still get through the original Super Mario Bros and other platformers on the NES easily), it's just a mechanic that I can't seem to grasp.

I'm all for games allowing you to exercise, just as long as you can turn it off to appease those that don't want to. Forcing you into a method you don't like... That's really what is the worst for me.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus
Explorer

PostPosted by TanC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Though I did not buy one, I'm just glad that someone started the ball rolling. Eventually, somewhere down the line we'll have someone come along and introduce the next Oculus Rift of treadmills. The important thing is to start. I'm glad they did.
TanC
Dungeon Crawler

PostPosted by Caforiss » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm

This would be a great fit. The main reason i bought one is so that I could just walk down paths in some enticing environment. Nothing would be more enticing then creating paths in an unexplored world like frontiers. So yes, I would definitely look forward with this in combination with my DK2
Caforiss
Butterfly Painter

Return to Technical Stuff